Re: [xenu-usergroup] Exclude URLs not working.

  • jack tripper
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
      how is that possible? I am looking at my screen right now and those urls are in my exclusion list.

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
        On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:10:20 -0800 (PST), jack tripper wrote:

        >how is that possible? I am looking at my screen right now and those urls are in my exclusion list.

        Maybe you added them later. But not in the job you sent me. This is
        shown in the report. Some people do the following mistake: they add to
        the list first, then they enter the URL. Thus, the old setting is
        loaded.

        Tilman

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
          Hmm, I think I see problem.

          I picked my URL's to exclude first, then I put the home page URL in at the top.

          If you do that it in that order it erases all the URL's to exclude.

          So you have to pick home page to scan first, then URL's to exclude.

          In the process of a new scan to see if that was issue. Will take about 2 hours.

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
            yes thats what I did.

            next question...

            Why is it saying these are external URL's and skipping?

            http://vacation-rental-wonderland.com/vacation-rentals/22/Grundy/Verona/

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
              On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:34:43 -0800 (PST), jack tripper wrote:

              >yes thats what I did.
              >
              >next question...
              >
              >Why is it saying these are external URL's and skipping?
              >
              >http://vacation-rental-wonderland.com/vacation-rentals/22/Grundy/Verona/

              Because your root URL is
              http://www.vacation-rental-wonderland.com/
              and not
              http://vacation-rental-wonderland.com/

              and you set in the menu not to check external URLs.

              Tilman

            • Thomas Fischer
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 11, 2008
                Hi Tilman,

                > > how is that possible? I am looking at my screen right now
                > > and those urls are in my exclusion list.
                >
                > Maybe you added them later. But not in the job you sent me.
                > This is shown in the report. Some people do the following
                > mistake: they add to the list first, then they enter the URL.
                > Thus, the old setting is loaded.

                Yes, the same mistake happened to me and puzzled me for a while.
                Would it be possible to adjust the interface so that you first have to enter
                or pick the URL to check and then adjust the other settings?

                When you select the "Check URL..." menu entry, an empty URL box appears and
                lists of URLs to be included or excluded. Do they have any meaning at this
                stage? Are these default settings? In my setting, these fit only one
                particular URL. As soon as I pick this or another URL, these lists change
                (and changes I made to them are lost).

                I was wondering if different settings for different URLs might be easier to
                handle (I can edit the Xenu.ini file manually but it is no fun): if I have
                such an .ini file for every base URL I want to check I would end up with a
                dozen or so files but it would be easier to manage; you also might gain some
                room in the interface for the display of the inclusion and exclusion URLs.
                To switch from one setting or URL to another I would prefer something like a
                bookmark list, this would make it clear that there is a complete switch of
                the environment, and all list would be tied to a particular URL. In
                addition, I could create links that call Xenu with a particular .ini file
                and give them to different people so that they can check their sites without
                the danger of messing up the settings of the others.

                All the best
                Thomas
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 12, 2008
                  On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:23:22 +0100, Thomas Fischer wrote:

                  >Hi Tilman,
                  >
                  >> > how is that possible? I am looking at my screen right now
                  >> > and those urls are in my exclusion list.
                  >>
                  >> Maybe you added them later. But not in the job you sent me.
                  >> This is shown in the report. Some people do the following
                  >> mistake: they add to the list first, then they enter the URL.
                  >> Thus, the old setting is loaded.
                  >
                  >Yes, the same mistake happened to me and puzzled me for a while.
                  >Would it be possible to adjust the interface so that you first have to enter
                  >or pick the URL to check and then adjust the other settings?

                  I agree that the current solution sucks, but I haven't found an
                  alternative I like. The best (and easiest) will probably be to notice
                  when *changed* settings are being replaced, and notify the user.

                  >When you select the "Check URL..." menu entry, an empty URL box appears and
                  >lists of URLs to be included or excluded. Do they have any meaning at this
                  >stage? Are these default settings? In my setting, these fit only one
                  >particular URL. As soon as I pick this or another URL, these lists change
                  >(and changes I made to them are lost).

                  These are the last settings from the last run.

                  Tilman

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
                    Hello,
                    A fan made a new help file, now as a .CHM file. It is uploaded here:
                    http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenu.chm
                    It is more up-to-date than the old .HLP files. If I don't hear any
                    protests, I'll include it in the next release.
                    Tilman
                  • Cy
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 24, 2009
                      Try this link -

                      Cy Stapleton
                      Lufkin, TX
                      ========
                      If you do not read newspapers you are un-informed. If you read newspapers you are miss-informed.
                      =====
                      Subscribe to my free periodic newsletter at www.hotlinecy.com/maillist.htm
                      =====
                      See my blog at http://lufkincy.blogspot.com/
                      Cy Stapleton
                      Box 151107
                      Lufkin, TX 75915-1107
                      heroautographs@...
                      www.hotlinecy.com
                      936-676-6375
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
                        On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:34:51 +0100, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

                        >On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:23:22 +0100, Thomas Fischer wrote:
                        >
                        >>Hi Tilman,

                        >>> Maybe you added them later. But not in the job you sent me.
                        >>> This is shown in the report. Some people do the following
                        >>> mistake: they add to the list first, then they enter the URL.
                        >>> Thus, the old setting is loaded.
                        >>
                        >>Yes, the same mistake happened to me and puzzled me for a while.
                        >>Would it be possible to adjust the interface so that you first have to enter
                        >>or pick the URL to check and then adjust the other settings?
                        >
                        >I agree that the current solution sucks, but I haven't found an
                        >alternative I like. The best (and easiest) will probably be to notice
                        >when *changed* settings are being replaced, and notify the user.

                        I've now made a change as described in the paragraph above. Better late
                        than never. I also fixed some minor bugs in that dialogbox (the "delete"
                        and "inactive" controls weren't disabled and reset when needed). Sorry
                        for waiting so long for something so easy and useful.

                        And no, you still can't save your settings in a "project file" or
                        similar as explained in your mail from 4 Jan 2010. But I'll keep that
                        mail.

                        Tilman

                        PS: This version also loads the description meta.