Re: [xenu-usergroup] Exclude URLs not working.

  • jack tripper
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
      guess I was wrong, It's 400,000 URL's It scanned many more this time..

      It's about 110 megabytes. I compressed it - came out to about 18.

      Here's the rapidshare:

      http://rapidshare.com/files/162539746/vacation-rental-wonderland.zip.html

      Let me know if you get it - has a 10 download limit.

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
        On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:25:42 -0800 (PST), jack tripper wrote:

        >Running xenu & I have the following URL's excluded:
        >

        >http://www.vacation-rental-wonderland.com/owner-advice/
        >http://www.vacation-rental-wonderland.com/owner-advice/foreclosure_listings/

        Now that I have the XEN file, I can see your exclusions:
        http://www.vacation-rental-wonderland.com/online-games/
        http://www.myspace-layouts.vacation-rental-wonderland.com/
        http://www.faq.vacation-rental-wonderland.com/

        So, the "owner-advice" URL is not part of it.

        Tilman

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
          how is that possible? I am looking at my screen right now and those urls are in my exclusion list.

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
            On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:10:20 -0800 (PST), jack tripper wrote:

            >how is that possible? I am looking at my screen right now and those urls are in my exclusion list.

            Maybe you added them later. But not in the job you sent me. This is
            shown in the report. Some people do the following mistake: they add to
            the list first, then they enter the URL. Thus, the old setting is
            loaded.

            Tilman

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
              Hmm, I think I see problem.

              I picked my URL's to exclude first, then I put the home page URL in at the top.

              If you do that it in that order it erases all the URL's to exclude.

              So you have to pick home page to scan first, then URL's to exclude.

              In the process of a new scan to see if that was issue. Will take about 2 hours.

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
                yes thats what I did.

                next question...

                Why is it saying these are external URL's and skipping?

                http://vacation-rental-wonderland.com/vacation-rentals/22/Grundy/Verona/

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 10, 2008
                  On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:34:43 -0800 (PST), jack tripper wrote:

                  >yes thats what I did.
                  >
                  >next question...
                  >
                  >Why is it saying these are external URL's and skipping?
                  >
                  >http://vacation-rental-wonderland.com/vacation-rentals/22/Grundy/Verona/

                  Because your root URL is
                  http://www.vacation-rental-wonderland.com/
                  and not
                  http://vacation-rental-wonderland.com/

                  and you set in the menu not to check external URLs.

                  Tilman

                • Thomas Fischer
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 11, 2008
                    Hi Tilman,

                    > > how is that possible? I am looking at my screen right now
                    > > and those urls are in my exclusion list.
                    >
                    > Maybe you added them later. But not in the job you sent me.
                    > This is shown in the report. Some people do the following
                    > mistake: they add to the list first, then they enter the URL.
                    > Thus, the old setting is loaded.

                    Yes, the same mistake happened to me and puzzled me for a while.
                    Would it be possible to adjust the interface so that you first have to enter
                    or pick the URL to check and then adjust the other settings?

                    When you select the "Check URL..." menu entry, an empty URL box appears and
                    lists of URLs to be included or excluded. Do they have any meaning at this
                    stage? Are these default settings? In my setting, these fit only one
                    particular URL. As soon as I pick this or another URL, these lists change
                    (and changes I made to them are lost).

                    I was wondering if different settings for different URLs might be easier to
                    handle (I can edit the Xenu.ini file manually but it is no fun): if I have
                    such an .ini file for every base URL I want to check I would end up with a
                    dozen or so files but it would be easier to manage; you also might gain some
                    room in the interface for the display of the inclusion and exclusion URLs.
                    To switch from one setting or URL to another I would prefer something like a
                    bookmark list, this would make it clear that there is a complete switch of
                    the environment, and all list would be tied to a particular URL. In
                    addition, I could create links that call Xenu with a particular .ini file
                    and give them to different people so that they can check their sites without
                    the danger of messing up the settings of the others.

                    All the best
                    Thomas
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 12, 2008
                      On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:23:22 +0100, Thomas Fischer wrote:

                      >Hi Tilman,
                      >
                      >> > how is that possible? I am looking at my screen right now
                      >> > and those urls are in my exclusion list.
                      >>
                      >> Maybe you added them later. But not in the job you sent me.
                      >> This is shown in the report. Some people do the following
                      >> mistake: they add to the list first, then they enter the URL.
                      >> Thus, the old setting is loaded.
                      >
                      >Yes, the same mistake happened to me and puzzled me for a while.
                      >Would it be possible to adjust the interface so that you first have to enter
                      >or pick the URL to check and then adjust the other settings?

                      I agree that the current solution sucks, but I haven't found an
                      alternative I like. The best (and easiest) will probably be to notice
                      when *changed* settings are being replaced, and notify the user.

                      >When you select the "Check URL..." menu entry, an empty URL box appears and
                      >lists of URLs to be included or excluded. Do they have any meaning at this
                      >stage? Are these default settings? In my setting, these fit only one
                      >particular URL. As soon as I pick this or another URL, these lists change
                      >(and changes I made to them are lost).

                      These are the last settings from the last run.

                      Tilman

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
                        Hello,
                        A fan made a new help file, now as a .CHM file. It is uploaded here:
                        http://home.snafu.de/tilman/tmp/xenu.chm
                        It is more up-to-date than the old .HLP files. If I don't hear any
                        protests, I'll include it in the next release.
                        Tilman
                      • Cy
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 24, 2009
                          Try this link -

                          Cy Stapleton
                          Lufkin, TX
                          ========
                          If you do not read newspapers you are un-informed. If you read newspapers you are miss-informed.
                          =====
                          Subscribe to my free periodic newsletter at www.hotlinecy.com/maillist.htm
                          =====
                          See my blog at http://lufkincy.blogspot.com/
                          Cy Stapleton
                          Box 151107
                          Lufkin, TX 75915-1107
                          heroautographs@...
                          www.hotlinecy.com
                          936-676-6375
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 15, 2010
                            On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:34:51 +0100, Tilman Hausherr wrote:

                            >On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:23:22 +0100, Thomas Fischer wrote:
                            >
                            >>Hi Tilman,

                            >>> Maybe you added them later. But not in the job you sent me.
                            >>> This is shown in the report. Some people do the following
                            >>> mistake: they add to the list first, then they enter the URL.
                            >>> Thus, the old setting is loaded.
                            >>
                            >>Yes, the same mistake happened to me and puzzled me for a while.
                            >>Would it be possible to adjust the interface so that you first have to enter
                            >>or pick the URL to check and then adjust the other settings?
                            >
                            >I agree that the current solution sucks, but I haven't found an
                            >alternative I like. The best (and easiest) will probably be to notice
                            >when *changed* settings are being replaced, and notify the user.

                            I've now made a change as described in the paragraph above. Better late
                            than never. I also fixed some minor bugs in that dialogbox (the "delete"
                            and "inactive" controls weren't disabled and reset when needed). Sorry
                            for waiting so long for something so easy and useful.

                            And no, you still can't save your settings in a "project file" or
                            similar as explained in your mail from 4 Jan 2010. But I'll keep that
                            mail.

                            Tilman

                            PS: This version also loads the description meta.