1566Re: Location of Report Files

  • simon
    Jul 14, 2012
      Thank you for your reply Tilman.

      I started doing what you suggested and then found xenu was working properly, before I had changed anything. Time to think over what I had done earlier. I have more or less worked it out and cross-checked by installing, uninstalling etc. in various ways on my laptop.

      I had allowed setup.exe to launch xenu. I had tried using it several times, quit, then posted here. I have now restarted xenu.

      When I started, because it is W7 I had to type in the administrator password to allow setup.exe to "make changes". This creates elevated permissions and must alter the environment including TEMP. The modified environment is inherited by xenu when launched from setup.exe, but not the elevated permission. Thus it cannot write to TEMP (C:\Users\Administrator\....\Temp). Exit and restart from xenu results in a default environment and normal behaviour.

      I have confirmed this by installing/uninstalling/reinstalling on my laptop in various usernames with different privileges.

      Sorry, this has turned into a support call but I hope it is useful. Perhaps you can repair setup.exe but if not, at least it may help someone else.

      Thanks for a great tool,

      Simon.

      > Hi,
      >
      > Yes, reports should be in the %TEMP% directory.
      >
      > Problems with creating the report are stored in the file XENULOG.TXT,
      > however that one is also in the %TEMP% directory. I wonder what happens
      > if you don't switch between Admin and normal user (and delete the report
      > history first). Does anything appear in %temp% at all? And what is the
      > %temp% location for the "normal" user? Is it something with "Simon" or
      > something with Admin?
      >
      > Tilman
      >
      > Am 14.07.2012 17:30, schrieb simon:
      > > Hi
      > > I have been using Xenu for a while now, intermittently over several years. I have just downloaded the most recent version and installed on a Windows 7 system, and have encountered my first problem - error reports are not appearing.
      > >
      > > The browser is trying to open non-existent files under C:\Users\Administrator and this is confirmed by xenu.ini:
      > >
      > > [reports]
      > > Xenu1=C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\TGHBDD2.htm
      > > Xenu2=C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\TGH6244.htm
      > > Xenu3=C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\TGHBDDB.htm
      > > Xenu4=C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\TGH2702.htm
      > > Xenu5=C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\TGH71A5.htm
      > > Xenu6=C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\TGH5BCE.htm
      > > Xenu7=C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\TGHFD63.htm
      > >
      > > I have been logged in under my own user name when running xenu but if I switch user to Administrator everything works fine. Note that xenu also fails if I login as myself and "Run as Adminstrator".
      > >
      > > I apologise making a query my first post :) I have searched the archives and the only message I can find near this topic says that reports are put in %TEMP%. I have checked TEMP and it is set correctly and other software that uses it is functioning normally.
      > >
      > > Has anyone else seen this and can anyone think of a cure. For now I can login as Administrator but that is not very satisfactory.
      > >
      > > Thanks for any help
      > >
      > > Simon.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic