1380AW: [xenu-usergroup] A different question about broken links

  • Fischer, Thomas
    Oct 7, 2010
      Hello Tilman,

      sorry about the mail format, I wasn't aware of the mess it creates!
      Anyway, there should be a difference between
      -- links on my site that fail
      -- links on my site that are redirected
      -- links on my site that are redirected to a failing URL

      For me, it would be easiest to have the failing redirections clustered with the working redirections and not with the errors on my site, since I will have to work on the URL that is first redirected and can't do anything about the wrong redirection itself. In particular, I would need to know *my* URL that causes the trouble, rather than the one on the distant site.
      I don't know if it is possible to keep track of working and not working redirections when checking URLs, but something like that would be my preferred solution.

      Cheers
      Thomas

      > Sigh... this issue has really come up often in all these
      > years, so maybe I should really do something. Its a design
      > issue, mostly. I can't place all the URLs that link to the
      > "mysterious" URL because it could be many, and there might be
      > a whole chain of redirections.
      >
      > What would be a solution?
      >
      > A small note like this?
      >

      > Broken links, ordered by link:
      > http://archives.cnn.com/1999/US/12/08/king.assassination.01/
      > error code: 404 (not found), linked from page(s):
      > http://archives.cnn.com/1999/US/12/08/king.assassination.01
      > (Attention: the URL above redirects)
      >
      > 1 broken link(s) reported
      >
      > Return to Top
      >
      > Broken links, ordered by page:
      > http://archives.cnn.com/1999/US/12/08/king.assassination.01
      > (Attention: the URL above redirects)
      > http://archives.cnn.com/1999/US/12/08/king.assassination.01/
      > \_____ error code: 404 (not found)
      >
      > 1 broken link(s) reported
      >
      > Return to Top
      >

      > Or a different text, like
      >
      > (Attention: see "List of redirected URLs" to find out more
      > about this URL") or
      > (Attention: enable "List of redirected URLs" to find out more
      > about this
      > URL")
      > with an internal link to the section that deals with that URL.
      >
      > Then I'll probably get many mails from people who disabled
      > that list in the report but don't remember how to enable it :-(
      >
      > Tilman
      >

      > On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 09:55:29 +0200, "Fischer, Thomas"

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic