Antialiasing in XD

  • Garth Thornton
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2007
      Why doesn't XD have antialiasing options for the render or lighting?

      It's mainly technical. Many graphics processes can do antialiasing by
      doing some combination of filtering and sampling at higher resolution,
      and all it costs is some speed. However, for some processes it also
      takes lots of extra memory. This is the case for the current rendering
      methods in XD (and also Apophysis.) To do 2x oversampling in XD takes
      four times the memory for the unlit picture, depth map, shadows, and
      alpha channel or background picture if you use them. Historically,
      since it didn't seem to have much advantage over resampling externally
      other than convenience, I put it off; especially since it also needed
      the lighting to be rewritten, and XD was still in an early stage of
      evolution.

      I have some hopes for adding antialiasing to the lighting for v2.1.

      Regards,
      Garth
    • ds-mail
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 7, 2007
        Thanks for the explanation...

        perhaps it would help many others too if you gave a very brief explanation of what a person should do in another "paint" type program to make the same final effect of AA for a XD output image? Like how much and what type of resampling...and that done to make the image smaller or larger?  And if so, what size to start with to determine what size to end with?

        Doug.S

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 7, 2007
          Hey there Doug,
          It really is as simple as resizing the image, most of the programs will
          handle it for you in that process. If Im doing a 400x400 animation Ill
          render at 600x600 and then resize down. I generally tend to render still
          images really large 2000-5000 pixels in order to get as much of the
          minute details as possible and then size down to approx. 3/4 of the
          original size (if you look at the first comparison jpg on that tutorial
          you will notice the details on the aliased image are 'smoothed' over
          whereas the image that was rendered larger has the finer details)
          hope this helps I'm sure everyone has their own preferences
          -kris

          > Thanks for the explanation...
          >
          > perhaps it would help many others too if you gave a very brief
          > explanation of what a person should do in another "paint" type program
          > to make the same final effect of AA for a XD output image? Like how
          > much and what type of resampling...and that done to make the image
          > smaller or larger? And if so, what size to start with to determine
          > what size to end with?
          >
          > Doug.S

        • juliette (bodhi-creations)
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 7, 2007
            Hi Doug, Kris and all
            I Anti-alias in paintshop-pro 8, doing as follows : I create a psp-script
            with an example-image in the same size as I have rendered the xd's'
            this script is very simple, it is only : resize at 98 %

            thanI go to batch and let psp batch them all with this script....and they
            are all resized to 98% of the original;
            thanI do another batch with a new script, that only adds borders with as
            many pixels that are needed to have the size that I rendered in xd in, and
            that I wanted for my animation ( mosytly 500x500pixels)
            that's all

            Anyone who want these psp-scripts....just ask them and I send them
            juliette

            > perhaps it would help many others too if you gave a very brief explanation
            > of what a person should do in another "paint" type program to make the
            > same
            > final effect of AA for a XD output image? Like how much and what type of
            > resampling...and that done to make the image smaller or larger? And if
            > so,
            > what size to start with to determine what size to end with?
            >
            > Doug.S
            >

            > _____

          • Martin_B
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 9, 2007

              Hello All

              A nice freeware does it autmatically (batch processing for resizing etc..) and gives a lot of post treatment possibilities
              You can download the demo light version at http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/
              and a more complete one for 25€ called studio.
              I have lots of sw (Photoshop, paintshop, Ulead) but I use this one many often !

              Friendly

              > perhaps it would help many others too if you gave a very brief explanation
              > of what a person should do in another "paint" type program to make the
              > same
              > final effect of AA for a XD output image? Like how much and what type of
              > resampling.. .and that done to make the image smaller or larger? And if
              > so,
              > what size to start with to determine what size to end with?
              >
              > Doug.S
              >

              > _____

            • Kris Northern
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 9, 2007
                Inq - you said you discovered that After Effects does anti-aliasing in
                resizing? I just checked my videos and by simply resizing them It
                doesn't look like it does any anti-aliasing. (I thought the videos
                looked a little weird.) Was there something I missed? I used AE 5.5.
                -k
              • InQ
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 9, 2007
                  I don't use After Effects. I use the resizing available in Quicktime . And now that you mention it, I think that I better check Quicktime for AA or lack thereof.

                  Kris Northern wrote:

                  Inq - you said you discovered that After Effects does anti-aliasing in
                  resizing? I just checked my videos and by simply resizing them It
                  doesn't look like it does any anti-aliasing. (I thought the videos
                  looked a little weird.) Was there something I missed? I used AE 5.5.
                  -k

                  No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.15.23/1114 - Release Date: 2007-11-06 20:05