Re Xenodream update

  • Malcolm Dennis
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 20, 2006
      Hi any news on when an update will be available for this excellent
      program.Hope it will be before xmas.
    • Garth Thornton
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 20, 2006
        Hi Malcom,
        > Hi any news on when an update will be available for this excellent
        > program.Hope it will be before xmas.

        I still expect it to be before xmas. The changes to be compatible with
        Vista are taking longer than expected, but are almost complete. There
        were good reasons for doing it for v1.6 instead of putting out another
        update afterwards. It affects the help files and the organization of
        presets, parameter files and configuration, and requires a
        reinstallation. Combining it in a single update will simplify updating
        and also be less work for me.

        The benefits are not just for Vista. All presets and parameter files
        will keep system and user data separate, so it's easier to manage them
        for updates or reinstallations, and XD has better features for using
        them. You can switch between system and user presets with one click,
        and access different user preset files without having to import them.
        You can browse sample or user parameter files with more control of
        which folders to open next time.

        Regards,
        Garth
      • Nick Stevens
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 21, 2006
          Good news indeed!

          Have you decided yet if this will be a free upgrade for registered users?

          Garth Thornton wrote:

          > Hi Malcom,
          > > Hi any news on when an update will be available for this excellent
          > > program.Hope it will be before xmas.
          >
          > I still expect it to be before xmas. The changes to be compatible with
          > Vista are taking longer than expected, but are almost complete. There
          > were good reasons for doing it for v1.6 instead of putting out another
          > update afterwards. It affects the help files and the organization of
          > presets, parameter files and configuration, and requires a
          > reinstallation. Combining it in a single update will simplify updating
          > and also be less work for me.
          >
          > The benefits are not just for Vista. All presets and parameter files
          > will keep system and user data separate, so it's easier to manage them
          > for updates or reinstallations, and XD has better features for using
          > them. You can switch between system and user presets with one click,
          > and access different user preset files without having to import them.
          > You can browse sample or user parameter files with more control of
          > which folders to open next time.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Garth
          >
          > __.
        • Garth Thornton
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 21, 2006
            Hi Nick,
            > Good news indeed!
            >
            > Have you decided yet if this will be a free upgrade for registered
            > users?

            I've always said it would be a free upgrade and I'm not going to change
            my mind :)

            Regards,
            Garth
          • mlorenz4
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 26, 2006
              Garth,

              I just came across this interesting article on spidrons and wondered if this
              kind of construct will be possible in the next iteration of XD?

              http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20061021/bob11.asp

              Regards,

              Manny

              _____

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 26, 2006
                Hi Manny,
                > I just came across this interesting article on spidrons and wondered if this
                > kind of construct will be possible in the next iteration of XD?
                >
                > http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20061021/bob11.asp

                Thanks for the suggestion. It's possible but not easy to construct a
                flat spidron using one or more prism constructors to make triangles and
                another holon to make the spiral. You could also try making 3D ones.
                Then you could use either free holons or tile metamorphs to arrange
                multiple copies. I don't have time to create anything specifically for
                spidrons for v1.6, as programming has been completed.

                Regards,
                Garth
              • Manny Lorenzo
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 18, 2006
                  Hi, Garth,

                  Does it look likely that you'll have v1.6 ready sometime soon?

                  Best Regards,

                  Manny Lorenzo

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 19, 2006
                    Hi Manny,
                    > Does it look likely that you'll have v1.6 ready sometime soon?

                    I'm sorry that it has slipped into next year. The Windows Vista changes
                    are complete and working well. I've been having difficulty focusing on
                    the tutorials at times but I'm making progress, and also producing
                    better presets for gradients and lighting.

                    Regards,
                    Garth
                  • kelly christiansen
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 19, 2006
                      --- Garth Thornton <garthst@...> wrote:

                      >I've been having difficulty focusing on
                      > the tutorials at times but I'm making progress, and also producing
                      > better presets for gradients and lighting.

                      Sounds like you need to take a couple weeks break Garth, and regenerate. I'm pretty sure we can
                      all wait a while longer.

                      Kelly

                      The greatest Epic Adventure of the 21st century! Experience The Sojourn Chronicles
                      http://sojourn.omnitech.netAll my books in print
                      My portfolio on Writing.com:
                      http://crystalwizard.Writing.Com/
                      Art, Illustrations and Book covers done on commision. My gallery on Art wanted:
                      http://artwanted.com/crystalwizard
                    • Martin van den Berg
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 20, 2006
                        Hello Garth

                        I think Kelly is right .

                        Just have a nice break, enjoy Xmas and New year time

                        Being waiting for is nearly as exiting as "having" the new version !

                        Merry Xmas to All Xeno-dreamers !

                        Friendly

                        Martin

                        _____

                        > the tutorials at times but I'm making progress, and also producing
                        > better presets for gradients and lighting.

                        Sounds like you need to take a couple weeks break Garth, and regenerate. I'm
                        pretty sure we can
                        all wait a while longer.

                        Kelly

                        The greatest Epic Adventure of the 21st century! Experience The Sojourn
                        Chronicles
                        http://sojourn. <http://sojourn.omnitech.netAll> omnitech.netAll my books in
                        print
                        My portfolio on Writing.com:
                        http://crystalwizar <http://crystalwizard.Writing.Com/> d.Writing.Com/
                        Art, Illustrations and Book covers done on commision. My gallery on Art
                        wanted:
                        http://artwanted. <http://artwanted.com/crystalwizard> com/crystalwizard

                      • hyperion_00001
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 20, 2006
                          Garth,

                          I agree with Martin and Kelly. As it is, XenoDream is a great piece
                          of software!

                          Have an unfettered holiday.

                          Manny

                          --- In xenodreamers@yahoogroups.com, Garth Thornton <garthst@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Hi Manny,
                          > > Does it look likely that you'll have v1.6 ready sometime soon?
                          >
                          > I'm sorry that it has slipped into next year. The Windows Vista
                          changes
                          > are complete and working well. I've been having difficulty
                          focusing on
                          > the tutorials at times but I'm making progress, and also producing
                          > better presets for gradients and lighting.
                          >

                          > Regards,
                          > Garth

                        • Barney Johnson
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 21, 2006
                            Hi Garth,

                            This actually works better for me too. I already devote so much time
                            enjoying Xenodream my wife wants to beat me on the head. If a new
                            version came out right now I know I would want to jump right in and
                            explore all the new features. [:)]

                            So, enjoy the holidays...THEN GET TO WORK!

                            Thanks again for a great piece of software that allows a clumsy fellow
                            like me to create beautiful images.

                            Barney

                            --- In xenodreamers@yahoogroups.com, Garth Thornton <garthst@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Manny,
                            > > Does it look likely that you'll have v1.6 ready sometime soon?
                            >
                            > I'm sorry that it has slipped into next year. The Windows Vista
                            changes
                            > are complete and working well. I've been having difficulty focusing on
                            > the tutorials at times but I'm making progress, and also producing
                            > better presets for gradients and lighting.
                            >

                            > Regards,
                            > Garth

                          • Garth Thornton
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 21, 2006
                              Thank you for all the kind words.
                              I can't afford to take weeks off or travel, but I will take a few days
                              off to do other things.

                              Regards,
                              Garth
                            • kelly christiansen
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 21, 2006
                                That's cool Garth :)

                                Enjoy yourself, have fun and don't worry about anything but relaxing ok?

                                Kelly