Xbasic commentary...

  • marsekatts
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2010
      Hello from Louisiana...

      I downloaded and experimented with Xbasic 6.3.7.
      I have several comments that may be useful.

      The xz compression is truly impressive, but it is still a bit "newfangled." Perhaps it would be better for the present, to use a more traditional archive format--gz for example.

      There is a long-standing bug in XB that requires either the console window or the PDE window be moved (as little as 1 pixel) before the menu bar can be used. The bug is still present, but it is not especially irritating, it is in fact, downright charming.

      The xapp.xxx file--and therefore the .mak files it produces--has a erroneous "endif" in the middle. How did that happen?

      Linux users can install XB anywhere they wish by creating their own symbolic links:
      ******
      ln -s <location of xb executable> /usr/bin/xb
      ln -s <location of libxb.a> /usr/lib/libxb.a
      ln -s <location of xb directory> /usr/xb
      ******

      The windows version works under Wine (the font is difficult to read, but this is a problem with Wine):
      ******
      With Xb installed on the wine drive and xbvars.bat modified so that it refers to the appropriate paths, open a console then enter:
      wine cmd
      (navigate to the location of xbvars.bat)
      xbvars
      xb
      ******

      XB 6.3.7 comes close to meeting my ideal of a programming language for users(high-level) rather than for professional programmers(low-level). It is not something to be ashamed of and should not be hidden behind a Yayhoo login. It would be most gratifying to see one of the newer(than 2002) and better versions available on(for example) one of the Xbasic web sites.

      Finally, the ability to program sounds(under Linux--I've been windows-free for over a year and a half now and don't plan on going back!) would be a fine addition to this beautiful work of art.

      Those doing the development of Xbasic have done something they can be quite proud of.
      Good work!

      BP must be destroyed!
    • bestonnet_00
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2010
        --- In xbasic@yahoogroups.com, "marsekatts" wrote:

        > Hello from Louisiana...
        >
        > I downloaded and experimented with Xbasic 6.3.7.
        > I have several comments that may be useful.
        >
        > The xz compression is truly impressive, but it is still a bit
        > "newfangled." Perhaps it would be better for the present, to use
        > a more traditional archive format--gz for example.

        I used xz because this group is running a bit close to its file space limit and xz is about the best compression out there (and decompresses pretty quickly too).

        As for being newfangled, I would only hold that against it if there were reliability issues which I haven't heard of and it *should* be included with any general purpose Linux distro (not that it always is).

        > There is a long-standing bug in XB that requires either the console
        > window or the PDE window be moved (as little as 1 pixel) before the
        > menu bar can be used. The bug is still present, but it is not
        > especially irritating, it is in fact, downright charming.

        I haven't seen seen that one (and I pretty much never move the PDF or console window around).

        > The xapp.xxx file--and therefore the .mak files it produces--has a
        > erroneous "endif" in the middle. How did that happen?

        Doh!!!

        Not quite sure how it happened but 6.3.6.1 had ifs and endifs in the MakeFile to deal with the fact that Gentoo 64 bit puts the 32 bit libraries in /usr/lib32/ (with /usr/lib being a symlink to /usr/lib64/) while 32 bit systems tend not have a lib32 directory (and using /usr/lib/ instead) which all worked on my system but when I tried it under Fedora 64 bit I discovered that Fedora uses /usr/lib for 32 bit which required me to change the MakeFile, must have left in the endif in the xapp.xxx file while I went through to do that.

        > Linux users can install XB anywhere they wish by creating their own
        > symbolic links:
        > ******
        > ln -s <location of xb executable> /usr/bin/xb
        > ln -s <location of libxb.a> /usr/lib/libxb.a
        > ln -s <location of xb directory> /usr/xb
        > ******

        Not quite sure what the point would be though although you could also do it by editing the MakeFile.

        > Finally, the ability to program sounds(under Linux--I've been
        > windows-free for over a year and a half now and don't plan on going
        > back!) would be a fine addition to this beautiful work of art.

        You'd probably be better off creating bindings for OpenAL or SDL (both of which would also work for windows).
      • cw2008can
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2010
          Thank you for your comments about XBasic.
          It is especially gratifying to see it referred
          to as a "...beautiful work of art."

          There is no shortage of ideas and things that I
          want to add to XBasic and I just keep working
          away at it in my spare time. There just isn't
          enough hours in the day to do it all. I'll look
          into sounds to see what I can do.

          I have never experienced the problem with the menu bar
          not working until the window is moved.

          The most readable fonts on Linux are bitmap fonts,
          particularly on LCD displays. Check that you have the:
          "misc bitmap fonts for X Window system" package.

          CW