Re: Smearing Fix for "Show window contents while dragging"

  • chucky77112
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2008
      Has anyone tried this? It's been awhile since I rebuilt from source.
      I wonder how this fix compares to the previous one from a long time
      ago (mods to winproc, iirc). The last one had problems in regards to
      the toolkit and accessories being redrawn properly in the pde.

      cw2008can, if you have the time maybe you could upload a compiled
      xb.dll and xbrun.dll to the files section? I can test it on win98se.
    • cw2008can
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2008
        --- In xbasic@yahoogroups.com, "chucky77112" <chucky7711@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone tried this? It's been awhile since I rebuilt from source.
        > I wonder how this fix compares to the previous one from a long time
        > ago (mods to winproc, iirc). The last one had problems in regards to
        > the toolkit and accessories being redrawn properly in the pde.
        >
        > cw2008can, if you have the time maybe you could upload a compiled
        > xb.dll and xbrun.dll to the files section? I can test it on win98se.

        Actually, xb.dll and xbrun.dll are uploaded. I thought of it after I
        posted the message, but did not go back to amend it.

        One thing that I probably did differently than previous attempts, is
        that I do redraw and resize messages immediately only when the window
        is being dragged by the header or resized by the border. At all other
        times, they are added to the message queue as before. And if you
        suspect that it is causing a problem, just turn off the "Show window
        contents while dragging" and all messages go into the queue.

        But I guess I need someone to try it and say, "It really works."
      • chucky77112
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2008
          > Actually, xb.dll and xbrun.dll are uploaded. I thought of it after I
          > posted the message, but did not go back to amend it.

          It helps if I open my eyes o_O

          > One thing that I probably did differently than previous attempts, is
          > that I do redraw and resize messages immediately only when the window
          > is being dragged by the header or resized by the border. At all other
          > times, they are added to the message queue as before. And if you
          > suspect that it is causing a problem, just turn off the "Show window
          > contents while dragging" and all messages go into the queue.
          >
          > But I guess I need someone to try it and say, "It really works."

          Well I tried it, and it works. Nice job! A few things:

          1-I uploaded a picture of maybe a small glitch that I noticed. It's
          called "top.bmp" and it's in the same location as your files. The top
          of the title bar isn't drawn quite right. I think this is probably
          nit-picking though.

          2-With the old fix, when I try to resize a non-resizeable window
          smaller, it collapses in on itself. When I let go of it, it then
          draws out to the correct size. With the new fix, the whole window
          moves as I try to resize it. I'm not saying one way or another is
          better - just that it's a difference that I noticed.

          3-The old fix that I have also has the "console" disabled in
          xbrun.dll. I like this for distribution packages. If you feel like
          it, maybe you could also upload xbrun_no_console.dll (or I could
          upload my old one).

          I'll keep using your version of the pde since I'm currently working on
          a project in windows. I'll let you know if I notice anything else.
        • cw2008can
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
            --- In xbasic@yahoogroups.com, "chucky77112" <chucky7711@...> wrote:

            > > Actually, xb.dll and xbrun.dll are uploaded. I thought of it after I
            > > posted the message, but did not go back to amend it.
            >
            > It helps if I open my eyes o_O
            >

            > > One thing that I probably did differently than previous attempts, is
            > > that I do redraw and resize messages immediately only when the window
            > > is being dragged by the header or resized by the border. At all other
            > > times, they are added to the message queue as before. And if you
            > > suspect that it is causing a problem, just turn off the "Show window
            > > contents while dragging" and all messages go into the queue.
            > >
            > > But I guess I need someone to try it and say, "It really works."
            > >

            > Well I tried it, and it works. Nice job! A few things:
            >
            > 1-I uploaded a picture of maybe a small glitch that I noticed. It's
            > called "top.bmp" and it's in the same location as your files. The top
            > of the title bar isn't drawn quite right. I think this is probably
            > nit-picking though.
            >
            > 2-With the old fix, when I try to resize a non-resizeable window
            > smaller, it collapses in on itself. When I let go of it, it then
            > draws out to the correct size. With the new fix, the whole window
            > moves as I try to resize it. I'm not saying one way or another is
            > better - just that it's a difference that I noticed.
            >
            > 3-The old fix that I have also has the "console" disabled in
            > xbrun.dll. I like this for distribution packages. If you feel like
            > it, maybe you could also upload xbrun_no_console.dll (or I could
            > upload my old one).
            >
            > I'll keep using your version of the pde since I'm currently working on
            > a project in windows. I'll let you know if I notice anything else.

            Thank you for your feedback.

            1-There is nothing I can do with this except look for it happening.
            Is it repeatable?

            2-Is very interesting and I'll look into it. The real answer would be
            to not even let the user try to resize a non-resizeable window.

            3-I can do something there, give me some time.

            I am also working on some other modifications, so it might be a while
            before I have a new program ready. I appreciate the feedback.
          • chucky77112
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 4, 2008
              > 1-There is nothing I can do with this except look for it happening.
              > Is it repeatable?

              Yes. Open up XBasic. New -> GUI program. Click on the toolkit. New
              -> window. Then drag it around, releasing at various points. I
              wouldn't worry about it though. It's so minor.

              > 2-Is very interesting and I'll look into it. The real answer would be
              > to not even let the user try to resize a non-resizeable window.
              >
              > 3-I can do something there, give me some time.
              >
              > I am also working on some other modifications, so it might be a while
              > before I have a new program ready. I appreciate the feedback.

              I think someone else also has an updated version of XBasic in the
              files area (jdl or something like that). I haven't used it, but I
              guess it has an updated look with a blinking cursor and some other
              cosmetic changes/changes to the pde.
            • old2newbie
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 4, 2008

                > I think someone else also has an updated version of XBasic in the
                > files area (jdl or something like that). I haven't used it, but I
                > guess it has an updated look with a blinking cursor and some other
                > cosmetic changes/changes to the pde.

                Yes, I use the JDL version mostly for the automatic capitalization of
                key words. I am not that good at keyboarding, and type everything in
                lower case and the key words are changed to uppercase when the program
                is compiled and run in the PDE.

                Also the search facility is better, the insert key works the same as
                in a word processor to overwrite existing characters.

                Shift + Insert keys will paste text from the clipboard.

                There are several other options including colored and blinking cursor,
                and some new XST functions that I have not used. Also when starting
                Xbasic, the last program that you were working on is automatically
                loaded for you.

                Makes things easier for new programmers.

                Cheers Hugh
              • cw2008can
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 4, 2008
                  I have uploaded new versions of xb.dll and xbrun.dll

                  The xbrun.dll is actually nameded xbrunNoConsole.dll
                  It checks for 3 command line parameters:
                  "-NoConsole"
                  "-ShowConsole"
                  "-HideConsole"

                  If none of these parameters are in the command line, it starts
                  up with no console, which makes "-NoConsole" redundant.

                  "-ShowConsole" starts up with the console in the normal way.

                  "-HideConsole" creates a console at start-up, but it is hidden,
                  and the program can do a #DisplayWindow to turn it on.

                  ---------

                  When editing my XBasic programs I actually use
                  XSED by David Szafranski, written for XBLite.

                  I first played around with XBasic, then I tried XBLite,
                  and then came back to XBasic. XBLite does not have a PDE
                  to work with and I find I need a PDE to step through the
                  code, set breakpoints, and check variables in order to
                  debug and test a program properly.

                  CW
                • cw2008can
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 15, 2008
                    A new set of Files are in Smearing Fix folder.

                    The resizing has been improved. But it requires the proper
                    maximum and minimum size information with SUBs that will handle
                    the #GetSmallestSize or #GetMaxMinSize messages. Or it can set the
                    GridTypeProperty for the "minWidth", "minHeight", "maxWidth" and
                    "maxHeight". This is normally done in the:
                    SUB Initialize
                    XuiSetGridTypeProperty (gridType, @"minWidth", designWidth)

                    When the minimum and maximum sizes are equal, the window size is
                    fixed and doesn't waste its time even trying to resize it. I think
                    it works well.

                    Also the default is to have a console on PDE and no-console on
                    stand-alone unless one of the following command line options is
                    used:

                    "-NoConsole"
                    "-ShowConsole"
                    "-HideConsole"

                    Try it and let me know what you think.
                    CW
                  • chucky77112
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 18, 2008
                      Hi CW,
                      > When the minimum and maximum sizes are equal, the window size is
                      > fixed and doesn't waste its time even trying to resize it. I think
                      > it works well.

                      Your previous version worked fine for me, so this one probably would
                      too. Congratulations on fixing this long-standing bug. My vote (if
                      we are voting) is to add it to the sourcecode for inclusion in the
                      next release.

                      > Also the default is to have a console on PDE and no-console on
                      > stand-alone unless one of the following command line options is
                      > used:

                      On my system, I have two versions of xbrun.dll - one without the
                      console and one with it. The one I include with a particular package
                      distribution depends on if the console will be needed or not. I do it
                      that way so end-users won't have to play around with command-line
                      switches. The less they have to worry about the better.

                      Another way do it maybe: have the console built-in by default, but not
                      displayed upon startup by default (i.e. you must call XstShowConsole()
                      explicitly.) Yes, you can always call XstHideConsole() as soon as
                      your program starts - but then you will have the console window pop-up
                      and hide very quickly, and that's a little shady. The end-user may
                      ask, "What the hell was that?" It may give the impression of
                      unprofessional software - sort of like when the black DOS box displays
                      itself and disappears in a flash.
                    • cw2008can
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 21, 2008
                        Hi Chucky -
                        The latest xbrunHidden.dll defaults to having the console hidden and
                        can be turned on and off by the program. You can still use:
                        -ShowConsole or -NoConsole in the command line.

                        The later version is better than the first, though you might need the
                        later .lib and .dec files, which are also provided.

                        So far, you are the only one that has shown any interest in the
                        smearing fix. I'll make everything available to anyone who wants it.
                        CW
                      • chucky77112
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 22, 2008
                          > The latest xbrunHidden.dll defaults to having the console hidden and
                          > can be turned on and off by the program. You can still use:
                          > -ShowConsole or -NoConsole in the command line.

                          Excellent. I was trying to think of why I made two versions of the
                          runtime. It was a while ago, but I think it was probably one or more
                          of the following:

                          1-I couldn't figure out how to just get the console to not appear by
                          default, so I removed it completely.
                          2-I wanted the runtime to be smaller, and removing the console killed
                          two birds with one stone (smaller, and no console).
                          3-???

                          > The later version is better than the first, though you might need the
                          > later .lib and .dec files, which are also provided.

                          Okay, this is off-topic, but while I'm thinking of it now: one bug I
                          noticed about the runtime is that the intrinsic function HIGH1() works
                          in the PDE, but I guess isn't exported from the runtime, since the
                          linker complains about it being unresolved. Example:

                          x = 0b11 ' 3
                          PRINT x
                          PRINT HIGH1(x)
                          PRINT HIGH0(x)

                          This runs in the PDE, but you can't make an EXE from it.

                          Maybe it's time for a bug-fix release. There are probably other bugs
                          that have been around for awhile and fixed, but people keep tripping
                          over them (like Ken's WHOMASK bug in regards to calling Xin()
                          functions from years ago that someone tripped over not too long ago).

                          > So far, you are the only one that has shown any interest in the
                          > smearing fix. I'll make everything available to anyone who wants it.
                          > CW

                          Well, I'm sure there are people around now who are lurking, but also
                          appreciate it. The next guy to come along will appreciate it too.
                        • cw2008can
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 22, 2008
                            HIGH0 & HIGH1 needed to be added to the xb.def file.
                            You will need the new xbrun.dll and xb.lib files.
                            I think xb.lib and xbrun.lib are the same but I uploaded
                            both anyway.

                            I've never used those instructions before and, therefore,
                            never knew about them.

                            I have not looked at xin() yet.
                            CW
                          • chucky77112
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 23, 2008
                              Hey CW,
                              When I said ,"Maybe it's time for a bug-fix release." I wasn't
                              directing that at you. What I meant was, because of the smear-fix and
                              a bunch of other bug fixes that have accumulated over time, maybe it's
                              time for 6.2.4 (or whatever the appropriate naming convention is).
                            • cw2008can
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 23, 2008
                                --- In xbasic@yahoogroups.com, "chucky77112" <chucky7711@...> wrote:

                                > Hey CW,
                                > When I said ,"Maybe it's time for a bug-fix release." I wasn't
                                > directing that at you. What I meant was, because of the smear-fix and
                                > a bunch of other bug fixes that have accumulated over time, maybe it's
                                > time for 6.2.4 (or whatever the appropriate naming convention is).

                                xin ##WHOMASK problem. Message 8986 had a clear description of the
                                problem and what was needed to fix it. So I made the changes
                                and uploaded new xb.dll and xbrun.dll in the Files/Smearing Fix folder.

                                A new load with bug fixes would be a good idea. Where do I find out
                                about all the other fixes? It seems to me that very little has been
                                done with XBasic in 6 years. If I can fix a problem, why not fix it
                                and make it available now?
                                CW
                              • chucky77112
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 24, 2008
                                  > A new load with bug fixes would be a good idea. Where do I find out
                                  > about all the other fixes? It seems to me that very little has been
                                  > done with XBasic in 6 years.

                                  There are several places to find fixes:
                                  1-Check in CVS. http://xbasic.cvs.sourceforge.net/xbasic/xbasic/
                                  2-Read through the messages since the last update. "XBasic 6.2.3 was
                                  released on 27 Oct 2002."
                                  3-Check in the egroup file area. You may want to examine
                                  "/files/members/xbasic-6.2.6-jdl-src.zip" and "files/files/xin.x".
                                  4-Check out the xblite group http://groups.google.com/group/xblite.
                                  They may know about bugs or features to add (like packed types).

                                  >If I can fix a problem, why not fix it
                                  > and make it available now?

                                  Well, the problem with that is then you have official and non-official
                                  releases. This creates confusion for new users. Also, you may
                                  abandon your version someday (move on to a new language or whatever).
                                • ezio_zanghellini
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 6, 2009
                                    --- In xbasic@yahoogroups.com, "cw2008can" <cw2008can@...> wrote:

                                    > I have a proper fix for what is referred to as "smearing" of the
                                    > XBasic windows while they are being dragged or resized when the
                                    > "Show window contents while dragging" option is set.
                                    > I have tested it about as fully as I can do on my desktop and
                                    > laptop using Windows XP.
                                    >
                                    > Rather than list all the changes made to make it work, I have
                                    > uploaded xgr.x, xui.x, user32.dec and user32.lib to the Files
                                    > section in the folder Smearing Fix.
                                    >
                                    > To see the changes I have make, search on "*smear fix*"
                                    >
                                    > This also fixes a problem with #WindowMouseExit messages
                                    > being missed when the mouse left an XBasic window going to the
                                    > desktop or a non XBasic window.
                                    >
                                    > Let me know how it works for you.

                                    Hi cw2008can,

                                    I am facing the smearing problem with my program right now. I have not found the xgr.x and xui.x files in the smearing folder. I need the .x-files because for my program I changed some of the original source files of XBasic and recompiled it, so I'll have to port your fixes to my set of files.

                                    Can you be so kind and upload the .x-files with the changes you made?

                                    Thanks.

                                    Ezio
                                  • cw2008can
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 8, 2009
                                      I have added a zip file, xbasic633win32_x_dec.zip
                                      in Files > Smearing Fix >
                                      There are a bunch of other changes as well as the smear fix.
                                      Most of the changes for the smearing is in xgr.x and xui.x
                                      Do a search for "*cw*" to find the areas where I have made
                                      changes to the code.
                                      The linux tar.gz source files also have the win32 files.
                                      Let me know if you have any problems or questions.

                                      Good luck
                                      CW

                                      --- In xbasic@yahoogroups.com, "ezio_zanghellini" <zanghell@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In xbasic@yahoogroups.com, "cw2008can" <cw2008can@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I have a proper fix for what is referred to as "smearing" of the
                                      > > XBasic windows while they are being dragged or resized when the
                                      > > "Show window contents while dragging" option is set.
                                      > > I have tested it about as fully as I can do on my desktop and
                                      > > laptop using Windows XP.
                                      > >
                                      > > Rather than list all the changes made to make it work, I have
                                      > > uploaded xgr.x, xui.x, user32.dec and user32.lib to the Files
                                      > > section in the folder Smearing Fix.
                                      > >
                                      > > To see the changes I have make, search on "*smear fix*"
                                      > >
                                      > > This also fixes a problem with #WindowMouseExit messages
                                      > > being missed when the mouse left an XBasic window going to the
                                      > > desktop or a non XBasic window.
                                      > >
                                      > > Let me know how it works for you.
                                      > >
                                      > Hi cw2008can,
                                      >
                                      > I am facing the smearing problem with my program right now. I have not found the xgr.x and xui.x files in the smearing folder. I need the .x-files because for my program I changed some of the original source files of XBasic and recompiled it, so I'll have to port your fixes to my set of files.
                                      >
                                      > Can you be so kind and upload the .x-files with the changes you made?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks.
                                      >
                                      > Ezio

                                    • Ezio
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 9, 2009
                                        Hi,

                                        thank you very much. This weekend I'll try to apply your fix for the smear problem to my stuff. I'll let you know about the result.

                                        Ezio