Google gets into the taxi business

  • Eric Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2005

      Editor’s note: For some reason this had escaped my attention. (And thanks to Kevin McLaughlin of AutoShare for bringing this to my attention.)

      I cannot overly exaggerate what I believe to be the importance of this marriage of technologies – a long time theme in all our work at The Commons and the New Mobility Agenda.  Also we are nudging here into our long time favorite and much neglected candidate for the missing link in the New Mobility Agenda – technology assisted what we have always called “paratransit”: smaller than bus shared vehicles with, yes, real human drivers, flex routes and dynamic scheduling)

      ·         Want to know more? Click here - http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2005-09,GGGL:en&q=%22google+taxi%22

      ·         Want to try it for yourself. Well why not http://labs.google.com/ridefinder ?

      And yes, have you turned yet to that engaging Wikipedia link on our top menu? We are waiting for you – not least because once again we have hear an example of out of box creativity and synergy. And in the wars for sustainability we need every trick we can lay our hands on.  eb

      Google gets into the taxi business

      Where to Guv? Or are you feeling lucky?

      Iain Thomson, vnunet.com 01 Apr 2005

      Google is trialling a service that links taxi firms with passengers via the web.

      Google Ride Finder uses the existing Google Maps pages and links them with taxi firms that register with the company. Users can then see the locations of available cabs in real time on the website and ring for a booking.

      "If you're like me, you use a mix of recommendations from friends, the phone book, or standing on the corner with your hand in the air (and hoping it isn't raining) when you need to find a taxi, limousine or shuttle service," said Russell Shoji, business development manager at the search firm.

      "With Google Ride Finder, you can tell us where you want to find a ride and we'll show you the actual positions of participating vehicles in that area, along with a phone number you can use to contact the fleet operator."

      The service is currently only running in 11 of America's largest cities, but Shoji said that the plan is to extend it to all locations as soon as possible. Taxi firms are being urged to contact Google to join up to the service.