RE: [WorldTransport-Focus] final on Road versus rail

  • Paul Withrington
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2003
      Elaine/Simon

      Facts sheet 5 shows that passenger rail uses 2 to 3 times the energy per
      passenger mile as would be needed by express coaches doing the same job.
      In contrast rail freight, after allowing for the drag in and out to the rail
      head, uses about the same as would road freight all the way. Consequently,
      if the rail operation were carried out by buses and coaches, using the
      railway rights of way, there would be an energy saving of 30-40%. How that
      may impinge on air pollution depends on the relative emissions of road
      vehicles compared with power stations.

      My thesis is that the railway lines should be removed in favour of a road
      surface managed to avoid congestion. If that system were restricted to buses
      and lorries alone the cost would be cut by a factor of at least four
      compared with rail. Fuel consumption would be reduced see above, and
      casualty costs by a factor for 3 see facts sheet 4.

      Elaine's worry about congestion in Urban areas would not apply - we would be
      using railway rights of way, not the access roads pretending to be a road
      system, which is what the nation depends upon.

      There would be very large environmental benefits from the removal of lorries
      from unsuitable roads in city, town and village. However, the flow would
      leave the track very much underused (the current rail use amounts to the
      equivalent of only 300 buses plus lorries per day averaged over the
      network). So, provided congestion could be avoided, e.g. by road pricing,
      the option of allowing cars to use the system would seem sensible. Then the
      parallel roads through town and village may be relieved even more and could
      be returned to the cyclist and pedestrian, at least in some places.

      As to comfort - a motorway coach can provide luxurious or Spartan conditions
      as can rail, and a motorway coach is every bit as steady as train. In
      contrast a coach on a historic A road alignment, winding its way through
      town and village, may give a relatively humpy ride. Certainly some of the
      rail passengers I met being bussed from Northampton to Milton Keynes last
      autumn said to me that the coach was more comfortable than the train.
      Speaking personally, that would apply to me only if they removed one row of
      seats, so generating an additional 3 inches of, knee room. Despite that I
      find I can read better on a coach than in most trains when travelling to
      London - the train often develops an annoying shake, presumably due to wear
      an tear on the track.

      Elaine also says "buses can not compete with trains unless completely
      segregated from cars". I comment that it is not segregation that matters
      but the elimination of congestion, best accomplished by road pricing. Bus
      lanes lead to valuable road space being scarcely used.

      Why Eric Bruun believes the capacity numbers I quote are wrong I do not know
      for it is clear for all to see that one motorway lane can easily carry 1,000
      buses an hour. Separately from that the nimble bus may very well use
      terminal space more efficiently than can the cumbersome train - my notes to
      the forum contained illustrations of the fact.

      As to Simon's point about people not being prepared to use coaches - I
      comment that he would be right if those coaches had to contend with
      congestion. However, using congestion free rail rights of way offering
      journey times, for nearly all journeys, as good or better than rail at fares
      down by perhaps a factor of 3, all seated in the peak instead of crushed
      like sardines, the coach would be ever so popular. Allocating motorway
      lanes to coaches and lorries would be useful but such lanes terminate on the
      outskirts. If that were not the case the Railways would vanish overnight -
      beaten by an alternative 4 times cheaper etc. see above.

      Paul W