The future of "xTransit"

  • Anzir Boodoo
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2008

      I think you're giving the answer right there... it's part of the
      solution, and one part which we don't see any movement on.

      I also think it's a necessary part of the solution in rural/semi-rural
      areas and outer suburban areas with travel patterns too diverse to
      support bus services in every direction. Just like poor old walking,
      it's one of the things we need to plan for in a New Mobility (TM)
      future, but which we're still behind on...

      The problem with xTransit is that it's trying to do a lot of things,
      for example:

      a. (xTransit in Leeds, UK) Providing access to those unable to use
      normal public transport services, for example electric wheelchairs are
      usually quite awkward on normal buses as they are designed to fit the
      turning circles and brakes of manual wheelchairs.

      b. (xTransit in Islanbul, Turkey) Providing access to and from places
      without a regular bus service by running in a general direction,
      picking people up along main roads and sometimes diverting to drop
      them off.

      c. (xTransit in Lincolnshire, UK) Linking key interurban transport
      services to enable people who live several km from a bus service to go
      to a village or town in time to connect with the main bus route

      ...and that's just three examples... potentially xTransit is anything
      you can do with a minibus, whether it is any of the vehicles pictured
      in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolmus or more modern vehicles built
      for this purpose such as the Alero ( http://www.optare.com/
      op_alero.htm ).

      Personally, I think this makes it near impossible to get a handle on,
      so it doesn't surprise me that there's been little activity in the
      world of xTransit. What can we do about it? I think we need to define
      xTransit's niches in the context of the whole New Mobility (TM)
      system. Unlike mainline transit services, I don't think it will fill
      one easily definable niche, despite what I was thinking 2 years ago