RE: [xTransit] The taxi, urban mobility solution of tomorrow

  • Tramsol
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2006
      sustran-discuss

      We extensively use the automated radio dispatch system in Glasgow which has revolutionised taxi use The reduction in dead miles, better estimating of waiting time, pre-booking, multi fare consolidation etc all stem from this.

      We also use Traintaxi to local a local operator to book for the arrival time of our train in real time – so you arrive knowing that your cab is waiting as you step from the train.

      Then there is the use of a taxi with the bicycle, only in Denmark I think is this a legal requirement. (anyone offer to post chapter & verse?).  We also use the taxi as a workhorse to collect goods and deliver these locally and thus reduce van-miles – taxis have delivered a flat-worth of laminate flooring, a flat pack kitchen, and many other purchases for which many would consider the private car the only way to deliver. To this end the London cab has much to commend it in its current TX-2 design, as an urban workhorse.

      An interesting comment here is that taxis specifically built as utility vehicles are rarely stolen…..just like buses, and Kopenhavn City Bikes.

      Finally with access legislation driving the specification of vehicles which can be licensed, we are seeing in the UK , vehicles which can be used both as cargo carriers and ambulances, which gives a useful tool in the emergency planning folder.  If all the local cab fleet is specified as capable of taking a wheelchair, or stretcher with simple changes to the interior arrangements, then a fleet of ambulances, or the backbone of a supply chain, is available embedded in the local community, and along with buses (proven in London’s major bomb attack as the means to move walking wounded to hospital swiftly*) have great flexibility in a public emergency.  Such an ability to requisition the cab & driver if the need arises can be written in to the licensing (as the Danish Bike rule).  (We sadly observed that a local tragedy in childbirth could have been avoided if those involved had had the presence of mind to simply call a cab and pay the fare when there were delays in getting an ambulance (free) for the journey to the hospital – ambulance controllers might consider this as a fall-back option when resources are overstretched)

      *A hint here for our local planners is to design the reception area for the major emergency hospital to handle the largest buses operating locally (some of ours are so car-oriented they cannot be easily accessed by a full size bus)

      Closing date for receipt of proposals: Thursday, October 26, 2006
      Notification of acceptance and establishment of the program: Monday,
      January 8, 2007
      Closing date for receipt of final contributions: Monday, May 14, 2007
      Colloquium dates: Thursday, September 20 - Friday September 21, 2006

      The detailed call for papers and submission forms available from the
      website:
      http://www..ville- en-mouvement. com/taxi/ uk/index. html

      Please forward this email to others you think might find it
      interesting and/or useful.

      ------------ --
      Richard Darbera
      ENPC-LATTS
      Ecole Nationale des Ponts & Chaussees
      Cite Descartes
      77455 Marne la Vallee
      France
      <darbera@enpc. fr>
      Telephone: 33,1,6415.3834
      Fax: 33,1,6415.3600
      Mobile (for SMS only) 33,6,98222291

    • Tramsol [mailto:tramsol@aol.com]
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 26, 2006
        Message
        Closing date for receipt of proposals: Thursday, October 26, 2006
        Closing date for receipt of final contributions: Monday, May 14, 2007
        Colloquium dates: Thursday, September 20 - Friday September 21, 2006

        The detailed call for papers and submission forms available from the
        website:
        http://www..ville- en-mouvement. com/taxi/ uk/index. html

        Please forward this email to others you think might find it
        interesting and/or useful.

        ------------ --
        Richard Darbera
        ENPC-LATTS
        Ecole Nationale des Ponts & Chaussees
        Cite Descartes
        77455 Marne la Vallee
        France
        <darbera@enpc. fr >
        Telephone: 33,1,6415.3834
        Fax: 33,1,6415.3600
        Mobile (for SMS only) 33,6,98222291

        xTransit: New Mobility’s missing link!

        Change settings via email:
        Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured