Re: Taxi company for women, run by women

  • hhowderd
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
      -
      Anna:

      I would suppose that Microsofts "MAPPOINT" has all
      that is necessary to run a successful taxi.

      Load that into something like a Compaq notebook,
      with a plug in tranformer to the cigaret lighter,
      and voice communication over the 'puter.

      For women who can't tell where they are by looking at a map
      and the latest road marker out the window, you can even
      buy a GPS unit designed to go with MAPPOINT.

      You just click "pushpins" into the origins/destinations
      of those who call in for transport , do a bit of rearanging,
      when you see the 'puter-designed route has an destination
      before an origin. Take the "make a route of every pushpin
      in the box" route. If some trip looks unreasonable for this circuit,
      just leave it outside the "box."

      The router works by triangulation method, which I find more than
      satisfactory,
      although it has its academic critics.

      Seems like I paid only $30.00 US for the software (without GPS),
      five or six years ago. The price has probably gone up.

      Of course, I only have used it in the USA, but surely by now
      the mapping has been done for Mexico.

      It came to me with internet updates to recent road construction,
      and one-way streets, however, I never found those features to be
      of great use, never ever used them, only updated once.

      (Also, I was a bit cautious about sharing the contents of my notebook
      with Microsoft ! Just because I am a bit paranoid , doesn't mean
      that
      they AREN'T out to get me ! ")

      You can adjust everything : your cost per mile, whether you want to
      take the scenic, fastest, shortest, or specific way, etc. How
      fast you drive different types of roads.

      One aggravation: mine does not let me set a standard amount
      of time to make a stop.

      There is an outfit in ATLANTA that sells about the same thing
      supported by RSIS, or whatever (who seem to have a monopoly
      on mapping for governments in the USA, for thousands of dollars, US.
      They are very critical of the triangulation method used by Microsoft.)
      Wonder why ? ? ? ?

      Now, all you need is a vehicle to survive the Mexican roadway !

      NewMobility is working on that one !

      I think it will have HUGE compressed-air tires !

      best wishes,

      howard finch

      Karl Bevins, mentor

      all rights reserved

      (Maybe Bill Gates Foundation -- whatever-- might fund some NewMobility
      research !) Warren, are you tapped into this ????

    • Mika Kunieda [mailto:kunieda@iea.att.ne.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006