taxi entry of the Wikipedia - xTransit even if they don't realize it yet.

  • Eric Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12 2:05 AM

      If you go to the taxi entry of the Wikipedia -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicab -- you will see a section that I have just added which relates to the matters which bring us here. If you can help improve this text – bearing in mind the NPOV requirement of our WP friends (neutral point of view) – that would be great. You can either edit directly if you have the habit or let me have your ideas and I will squirrel in and do the necessary. ericbritton

      ==Taxi futures==

      While taxis are most often thought of as tied to their present long standing modes of operation (single passenger), in part because of the inherently conservative nature of the industry in place after place around the world, their future in cities at least is almost certainly to involve major changes in their operations.

      These changes are likely to come about as a result of (a) the increasing need for new and more space efficient forms of transport in cities offering levels of service much closer to those traditionally associated with private cars than public transit, combining with (b) the new logistics and communications technologies that are already available but thus far not being integrated into most taxi operations.

      The resulting new transport form will be in effect far closer to [share taxi]s and other shared small vehicle systems such as most often are seen in the cities of the developing countries than the traditional single occupancy taxicab. In most places this risks to be an uneasy transition, but it is already very much in the cards.