New Mobility organization: Clarification

  • Eric Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2006

      A lot of you have asked for this, so off we go.

      The New Mobility Agenda is a pretty active and diversified program, with a fair number of focus groups, each with its own life and membership base. It can be confusing until you get the hang of it, and this note is intended to help you do just this. It is divided into three main parts:

      1. New Mobility programs and focus groups
      2. The Video Libraries
      3. Procedures for good use of the Fora and discussion use

      I.  New Mobility programs and discussion groups – Organizational overview

      For a good general introduction have a look at the Talking New Mobility link on the left menu of http://www.newmobility.org.  But here in brief is how the turf is “organized” for these presentation and purposes.

      1. The New Mobility Café: This talking parlor for the strategic discussion of transport-related issues. It is (with the odd wild exception) sober, balanced and professional.  The main site is at http://www.newmobility.org. The mail address for posting is NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com To join the group, an email to NewMobilityCafe -subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      ·                 ThinkPad: You may also want to check out the collaborative blog or as we call it ThinkPad covering all these programs at http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/. Full “how to” details will be seen at the top of the site.

      1. Journal of World Transport Policy and Practice: This forum is reserved for discussion of articles, comments and proposals for future issues – The web site is http://www.wtransport.org. The mail address for your contributions, WorldTransport@yahoogroups.com. To join, send an email to  wtransport-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      1. Kyoto Cities Forum: This is a reserved area for announcements and discussions in support of the Kyoto World Cities Program, and with the New Mobility Partnerships.  The respective home pages are at www.kyotocities.org and http://newmobilitypartners.org. To post to this group, KyotoWorldCities@yahoogroups.com. To join: send an email request to KyotoWorldCities-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

      2. The Gender, Equity and Transport Forum: In association with the World Bank spin-off Gatnet program, the home page is at http://www.gatnet.net/ and the discussion area at http://www.dgroups.org/groups/worldbank/GATNET/index.cfm?CookieTested=TRUE. To join: http://www.dgroups.org/groups/worldbank/GATNET/index.cfm?op=dsp_join

      1. Carsharing (http://worldcarshare.com) – This is straight forward. To join the group, post an email to  WorldCarShare-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      2. The group mail address is WorldCarShare@yahoogroups.com.

      1. Land Value Tax/Value Capture: - Once again this is reasonably hermetic in its focus – you will see it on the site at www.landcafe.org To join landcafe-subscribe@yahoogroups.com: The mail address for comments, etc. LandCafe@yahoogroups.com

      1. Lots Less Cars in Cites/ World Car Free Days: Now we come to a bit of a joker, a forum which now combines two older groups, closely related as you will see: the long standing World Car Free Days program at http://worldcarfreeday.com and the Lots Less Cars in Cites collaborative program and group brainstorm  at http://www.lotslesscars.org. Their combined forum has the address LessCars@yahoogroups.com. Lots Less (we know, it’s improper grammar) differs from the New Mobility Agenda discussion in several important ways. First the LLC/WCFD people are single minded and more frankly adversarial in their approach. “Get the cars out” (or at least a lot of them) either for a day or forever. That’s what brings the 243 people who show up here together and that is what they work with as their uniting theme.

      1. XTransit: Another joker, this one given over to what we believe to be one of the most important single transport modes for the future, small vehicle systems, usually independently owned and operated, and prime targets for technology and supportive rethinking of legislation and relationships with the rest of the system. The ‘workpad’ for the project is at http://www.xtransit.org/. To join the group: xTransit-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. To post: xTransit@yahoogroups.com

      1. And finally (for now), Children on the Move! An important but sadly of late little used focus group. The address is http://ecoplan.org/children/ch_index.htm and the email group is reached via : childs-play@yahoogroups.com. To join: an email to  childs-play@yahoogroups.com (Consider breathing some life into this worthy group project.)

      II.     The New Mobility Video Libraries (New)

      New Mobility Video Library - http://www.youtube.com/group/NewMobilityAgenda

      What you have here is for now the first stages of what we call a thinking exercise. The idea is to play with the site a bit and see if in good order we can create a useful shared video library offering independent evidence in support of the New Mobility Agenda at http://www.newmobility.org and its a What you have here is for now the first stages of what we call a thinking exercise. The idea is to play with the site a bit and see if in good order we can create a useful shared video library offering independent evidence in support of the New Mobility Agenda at http://www.newmobility.org and its associated collaborative programs. My thought was to begin by plugging in a first set of films, and then to think together about the internal organization of the site so that people will have rapid access to the topic areas of particular interest to them (examples, carsharing, economic instruments, cycle support, public spaces, etc.) And then only when we are confident that this is going to be easy to use and useful, should we take it public? Your reactions?

      Related New Mobility Video Library Groups:
      1. New Mobility Agenda – http://www.youtube.com/group/NewMobilityAgenda
      2. Old Mobility - http://www.youtube.com/group/oldmobility
      3. Lots Less Cars in Cities Video Library - http://www.youtube.com/group/carfree
      4. Global South Mobility - http://www.youtube.com/group/globalsouth
      5. World Carshare Consortium - http://www.youtube.com/group/carshare
      6. The Politics of Transportation - http://www.youtube.com/group/TransportationPolitics
      ... (more)
      (less)

      Tags:

      Sustainable transport, cities, walk, cycle, public space

      Created: July 12, 2006, 08:23 AM

      World Carshare Video Library - http://www.youtube.com/group/carshare

      This dedicated library is a working sub-set of the New Mobility Agenda Video Library -- and in turn of the New Mobility Agenda program at http://www.newmobility.org and the World Carshare Consortium at http://worldcarshare.com.. We have to figure out best way to stock and link for efficiency, trans This dedicated library is a working sub-set of the New Mobility Agenda Video Library -- and in turn of the New Mobility Agenda program at http://www.newmobility.org and the World Carshare Consortium at http://worldcarshare.com.. We have to figure out best way to stock and link for efficiency, transparency, and easy use. For now this is begin organized as a collegial invitation-only activity under World Carshare during the development or “thinking exercise” stage. Once we have something worthy in hand, we can figure out together what we should do next.

      Related New Mobility Video Library Groups:
      1. New Mobility Agenda – http://www.youtube.com/group/NewMobilityAgenda
      2. Old Mobility - http://www.youtube.com/group/oldmobility
      3. Lots Less Cars in Cities Video Library - http://www.youtube.com/group/carfree
      4. Global South Mobility - http://www.youtube.com/group/globalsouth
      5. World Carshare Consortium - http://www.youtube.com/group/carshare
      6. The Politics of Transportation - http://www.youtube.com/group/TransportationPolitics
      ... (more)
      (less)

      Tags:

      carshare, carsharing, car-club shared-car

      Created: July 13, 2006, 02:12 AM

      Old Mobility Evidence (Oops) - http://www.youtube.com/group/oldmobility

      This is intended to work as a supporting subset of the New Mobility Agenda video library site here and the full NMA program at http://www.newmobility.org. (If you are not sure as to what “old mobility” means in this context, we can refer you to http://www.ecoplan.org/briefs/general/old-mobility. This is intended to work as a supporting subset of the New Mobility Agenda video library site here and the full NMA program at http://www.newmobility.org. (If you are not sure as to what “old mobility” means in this context, we can refer you to http://www.ecoplan.org/briefs/general/old-mobility.htm from the New Mobility Advisory/Briefs program at http://www.newmobilityadvisory.org.

      In the following we are still very much at the play and think stage here. And as with the other sub-sets here (including till now: Old Mobility, New Mobility, and World Carshare) part of our challenge is not only to seek striking examples of both problems and solutions, but also to lay the whole thing out in a way that makes it easy to navigate, view and learn from. For now this is begin organized as a collegial invitation-only activity during the development or “thinking exercise” stage. Once we have something worthy in hand, we can see what we will do next.

      2. Old Mobility (Oops) - http://www.youtube.com/group/oldmobility
      3. Lots Less Cars in Cities Video Library - http://www.youtube.com/group/carfree
      4. Global South Mobility - http://www.youtube.com/group/globalsouth
      5. World Carshare Consortium - http://www.youtube.com/group/carshare
      6. The Politics of Transportation - http://www.youtube.com/group/TransportationPolitics
      ... (more)
      (less)

      Tags:

      traffic, congestion, accidents, pollution, global warming,

      Global South Mobility Library - http://www.youtube.com/group/globalsouth

      This “Global South Mobility” section of the New Mobility Agenda video collection provides a collection of private views of both the problems (most of which based on the results of the imported car-based, “old mobility” model from the North) and the Global South’s search for new and often o This “Global South Mobility” section of the New Mobility Agenda video collection provides a collection of private views of both the problems (most of which based on the results of the imported car-based, “old mobility” model from the North) and the Global South’s search for new and often original and surprising solutions. And as with the other sub-sets here (including till now: Old Mobility, New Mobility, and World Carshare) part of our challenge is not only to seek striking examples of both problems and solutions, but also to lay the whole thing out in a way that makes it easy to navigate, view and learn from. For now this is begin organized as a private invitation-only activity during the development stage. Once we have something worthy in hand, we can see what we will do next.

      5. World Carshare Video Library - http://www.youtube.com/group/carshare
      6. The Politics of Transportation - http://www.youtube.com/group/TransportationPolitics
      ... (more)
      (less)

      Tags:

      traffic, congestion, accidents, pollution, global warming,

      Lots Less Cars in Cities Video Library - http://www.youtube.com/group/carfree

      Independent video records of situations, actions, anomalies, and events taking place on the street in cities around the world. Please understand that this is not (exactly) an anti-car forum. Nor is it a bike forum (what interests us is cycling for daily transport purposes). The shared goal behind al Independent video records of situations, actions, anomalies, and events taking place on the street in cities around the world. Please understand that this is not (exactly) an anti-car forum. Nor is it a bike forum (what interests us is cycling for daily transport purposes). The shared goal behind all this: lots less cars in our cities, and cities that are healthier, safer and better places to live, work and for our children grow up in. Work very much in progress but already with plenty of room for you to get involved.
      Also check out The Lots Less Cars in Cities Idea Factory at http://www.lotslesscars.org and the New Mobility Agenda at http://www.newmobility.org. .

      Related New Mobility Video Library Groups:
      1. New Mobility Agenda – http://www.youtube.com/group/NewMobilityAgenda
      2. Old Mobility (Oops) - http://www.youtube.com/group/oldmobility
      3. Lots Less Cars in Cities Video Library - http://www.youtube.com/group/carfree
      4. Global South Mobility - http://www.youtube.com/group/globalsouth
      5. World Carshare Video Library - http://www.youtube.com/group/carshare
      6. The Politics of Transportation - http://www.youtube.com/group/TransportationPolitics
      ... (more)
      (less)

      Tags:

      carfree, bike, car-free, critical mass, carpool, ride-share,

      The Politics of Transportation - http://www.youtube.com/group/TransportationPoliti

      Transportation politics, planning and decision making. Live example of how things come about in democratic societies. Focus on cities, the local levels of government. and the representations of public sector agencies. Citizen and local interest groups participation. (Eventually leading us perhaps t Transportation politics, planning and decision making. Live example of how things come about in democratic societies. Focus on cities, the local levels of government. and the representations of public sector agencies. Citizen and local interest groups participation. (Eventually leading us perhaps to some ideas as to how one might eventually influence them.)

      Related New Mobility Video Library Groups:
      1. New Mobility Agenda – http://www.youtube.com/group/NewMobilityAgenda
      2. Old Mobility (Oops) - http://www.youtube.com/group/oldmobility
      3. Lots Less Cars in Cities Video Library - http://www.youtube.com/group/carfree
      4. Global South Mobility - http://www.youtube.com/group/globalsouth
      5. World Carshare Video Library - http://www.youtube.com/group/carshare
      6. The Politics of Transportation - http://www.youtube.com/group/TransportationPolitics
      ... (more)
      (less)

      Tags:

      politics, transport, mayor, city hall, planning

      III. Procedures for good use of the discussion fora (Please do read before first use)

      In this day of titanic, paralyzing information overload, here are a few small suggestions which I would strongly suggest you consider as you work with our for a and discussion groups. It will make use the whole process more efficient for you and for all those hundreds of time-pressed colleagues who come here.

      ·                 Overview: If you have not already done so, please take five minutes to read the Welcoming Note (http://www.ecoplan.org/general/welcome.htm). Yes I know it is a great terrible bore but you will find it helpful and make a better neighbor of you.  And while it will also show you how to improve your access of the discussions and save you considerable time, here are the points of netiquette you really do need to know about:

      ·                 Stay on focus: And bear in mind that this is one of a series of more or less focused websites and discussion groups, and we try hard to keep each of them in its chosen focus. To understand this, in case you do not already, I suggest that you click to http://www.newmobil ity.org and once there Talking New Mobility on the left menu. You’ll see how this works.

      Now on quickly to our mid summer housekeeping review:

      1. Make sure in each case you are replying to the correct party.
       When you answer a group message, your answer will in many cases be sent to all the members of the list. If you wish the sender only to receive your answer, please click on the "Forward" button instead of "Respond" and copy the sender's email address into the "To" box. Remember, there is no feeling so "sinking" as when a personal message goes instead to more than five hundred hard working, possibly not so happy with you for spamming them people. We would ask you to be extremely careful about distinguishing between:

      1. Basically personal messages (such as a thank you note, a specific question or an observation intended for this or that person) which are best addressed to your individual correspondent, and
      2. Communications to the group as a whole. And even in this last case . . .

      2. Exception Information is the rule here:
      We are all asked to bear in mind that our colleagues are very busy people and we want to make sure that whatever comes out of this forum (I) they do not receive more than a handful messages a week on average and (ii), more important, that what is distributed to the group is quite literally "exception information", i.e., communications which address issues which are of high common interest. I hate to say it, but when we see people being a bit too casual in their choice of mode, our list administrator actually goes in and picks off what we think to be a bit too personal and indicate this to them as such. This may strike you as a bit priggish on our part and indeed is a bit of a bore to actually do; but we think it's better that than overloading people who have a lot of real work to do and who see this as a useful tool and not one more wasteful Internet chore.

      3. Careful about promiscuous copying content of earlier communications (“Judicious snipping”)
      Please do not simply copy and pass on the content of all previous communications. Nobody, nobody likes to wade through this stuff. Moreover, it obscures the point of your message for those whose time is important. Where you need to cite an earlier note for context purposes, please do this in a sparing and structured way ("judicious snipping" we call it). We will all appreciate your thoughtfulness.

      4. Retain Subject Headings:
      Once a discussion of any given topic has got underway, it really helps for later reference purposes if you kindly retain the original subject heading. (This is because this heading in one of the main ways in which we can recall any given dialogue and exchange around that topic, a process of recall which we believe is extremely important to the extent to which this collective intellectual patrimony is available to be mined for subsequent uses. Likewise, if you note that the subject heading is preceded by a FWD: or Re: in any given case, it's a good idea to delete this so that your message will enter into the correct repertory.)

      5. Long signature lines.

      No more than three lines please, all in. Once you have introduced yourself to the group on joining, we all know who you are and don’t need all that garble about when, where and why. Screen space and time are scarce commodities, so let’s keep an eye on this small courtesy.

      6. Other guidelines to keep in mind:

      1. Proof-read your submissions. The time you take is magnified 500-fold in time savings by readers in trying to understand your points.
      2. Please don't send very long messages, papers, or binary files to the list; rather, post a summary in straight text, offering to send to those requesting it the longer or coded document. Or forward it with your cover note a an attachment. Such requests should always be OFF-LIST (to the person offering it, not the whole list). Another good alternative is to point people to a website with your material.
      3. When referring to research or statements, try to cite them, either a bibliographic or web reference.
      4. But not just a link: Experience shows that if you only put in a link without a brief note concerning its point and content people simply won’t go to it. So if you want them to, well pop in the nice little summary
      5. Cool off: If you feel yourself getting heated about what another has written, consider sending that to only that person, not the entire list. This keeps the recipient from feeling as defensive and possibly escalating the exchange into a conflagration.
      6. After joining, don't post for a couple weeks, so that you can get a sense of the style of the list. Your first post might contain a short (one para.) introduction of yourself. Nice courtesy for all involved.

      7. How many messages should YOU be posting to the group? Certainly no more than two or three per week. Thank you. In exceptional cases let's get together and figure out a strategy (since there are other options including our several "cafés".)

      To conclude: I think it’s not a bad assumption to hold in mind that at least half the people here are smarter than you are and smarter than me) and know more about the subject. Such a collection of wonderful concerned citizens and colleagues deserve a little time and attention.  And hey! they will do the same for you.

      8.  Enhanced Message Search.

      At this point, after more than a decade of exchanges among our world wide colleagues we now have more than ten thousand past communications stored in these sites, a valuable resource if you are trying to get up to speed on all these international reactions and goings on. How to use it? Well, try this

      With the advanced Message Search functionality, finding a particular message is not only easier, but much faster. We’ve updated this by integrating powerful Yahoo! Search algorithms – this results in an accelerated search experience for you. Message Search now comprehensively screens the entire message archive of a group, no matter how many messages have been posted.

      What’s more, new Message Search includes an “Advanced” search feature. This feature allows you to drill down on a number of fields to make it easier to find that lost message. You can use the options on this page to create a very specific search -- simply refine message search in your group by:

      • Date. You can add a specific point on the calendar and have a search performed before or after that time. Or, search a date range.
      • Author. Include the name of the sender and all messages from that name will be returned. You can also exclude a specific sender name from the search.
      • Subject. Add any words from a subject line and it will be returned. You can also exclude specific words from the subject line too.
      • Message Body. Add any words from the body of a message and the relevant messages will be returned to you in your search results. Again here you can also exclude specific words from your search.

      *     *     *

      And that’s all there is to it? Complicated? Hey, look at there at your city’s streets.  Do you really think there is as simple answer?. ;-)

      Eric Britton

      The New Mobility Agenda: on line at http://www.newmobility.org

      Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara                   75006 Paris, France

      Tel:  +331 4326 1323      +338 7044 0343      Skype: newmobility

      E: contact@...              Backup: fekbritton@...

      EcoPlan International              Innovation consultancy/advisory

      9440 Readcrest Drive                            Los Angeles, CA  90210

      Tel: +1 310 601-8468  E: contact@...    Skype: ericbritton

      The New Mobility Advisory/Briefs. Don’t know about them yet?

      Maybe you should: have a look at http://newmobilityadvisory.org

      Technology. Economy. Society.

      Francis Eric Knight Britton
      Innovation consultancy/advisory