Re: The strategic context of xTransit

  • ann_hackett
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
      Dear Eric,

      Could the Stockholm Congestion Pricing project use this trial period
      as an opportunity to become an evolving, data gathering, living
      laboratory? They could systematically sample car reduction /
      elimination strategies such as:
      * xTransit
      * the Langeveld option
      * variations of Pico y Plata
      * parking reduction with dedicated bike lanes
      * free bus rides
      * car free days

      Ann Hackett

      --- In xTransit@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Britton" <eric.britton@...>
      wrote:

      > Dear Friends,
      >

      > From some of the echoes I have been getting since we had this new
      section
      > posted, we still have a way to go to make it clear what this is all
      about
      > and how it works. I guess that is to be expected for a concept
      which almost
      > by definition is so new and so still amorphous that it is hard for
      us to get
      > our heads around it. "Is Eric talking about taxis?" If so, we know
      all kinds
      > of things about them that just won't do". "Isn't this just the
      kind of
      > thing that is going to send traditional public carries to the
      grave? If so,
      > we need be very careful".
      >

      > And then if I say "not exactly taxis as you now them" then someone
      will step
      > up and tell us the horror stories that are part of [and here you
      place your
      > favorite developing world xTransit villain/hero (depending on who
      you are),
      > starting with públicos, Colectivos, Peseros, etc.] – regaling us
      with
      > stories of their danger, outlandish behaviour, resistance to
      regulation and
      > oversight, driver incompetence and worse, insouciance, criminality,
      poor
      > maintenance, hyper-pollution, pick-pockets, molestation of your
      wife and boy
      > does that list go on.
      >

      > Lots of losers or non-starters too in the historic closet of
      xTransit when
      > people have tried to cross it with state of the arts communications
      > technologies: all those short lived DRT projects which for any of a
      variety
      > of reasons failed to find their place in the past.
      >

      > And through it all the steady leitmotif of these carriers putting
      more
      > traditional forms of public transport in jeopardy, in part since
      they steal
      > passengers who should be willing to wait just a bit longer and try
      to get a
      > seat on the bus. And the fact that there are so many of them
      dodging around
      > as they do in the traffic stream that it eats up the room which
      rightfully
      > belong to the deficit financed scheduled services.
      >

      > But all of that is the past, and it's now 2006 and we need to get
      better at
      > moving people swiftly and safely in cities that are street starved.
      There is
      > only one way to go: and that's what we call xTransit.
      >

      > Here to conclude is a new section that appears now on the site
      under the
      > heading: The strategic context of xTransit
      >

      > I invite you to go over these several pages with a fine tooth comb.
      They
      > need to be improved and it is you who are the next part of this
      process.

      > Eric Britton
      >

      > PS. Let's not forget. Car owner/drivers are not the enemy. They are
      our
      > customers.
      >

      > "How street space is allocated, priced, and managed tells people
      how to
      > travel".
      >
      > - Michael A. Replogle, Environmental Defense, 5 Jan 2005 and said
      right here

      > A full and proper understanding of the actual context of this thing
      we are
      > calling xTransit is vital to figuring out what if anything to do
      next with
      > this concept and way of helping people to get around in our
      cities, and,
      > yes, small communities as well. Without the context by way of
      background
      > this is only one more of those many ideas, maybe good, maybe bad,
      that we
      > can chat about forever and as the damage from the old dysfunctional
      system
      > continues to mount day after day. But as I hope you know that is
      not what we
      > are trying to do here at the New Mobility Agenda.
      >

      > For a pretty good and fairly detailed introductory overview on the
      overall
      > problematique as we see it, we can refer you to the "Here's our
      problem"
      > opening section of the Kyoto World Cities 20/20 Challenge at
      > www.kyotocities.org <http://www.kyotocities.org/> . But in the
      meantime and
      > with one eye to the clock, what about accepting the following as a
      rather
      > good surrogate for the rest when it comes to the
      dysfunctionalities --
      > thereby putting aside for the moment our very real concerns with
      pollution,
      > economic costs, health impacts, taxpayer burden and the long list
      goes on
      > (as you will see if you turn to the full treatment)? But let's
      simply for
      > the purpose of putting xTransit into perspective think about all
      this for
      > now as if the only problem that concerns us immediately is that
      of . . . the
      > (egregious) space requirements of the "old mobility" (that is car-
      dominated)
      > system.
      >

      > The key to the New Mobility Agenda in cities lies in what is
      basically a two
      > pronged approach: (a) aggressive, strategic infrastructure
      management and
      > (b) parallel creation of a wide range of first class, desirable
      > alternatives to the old mobility system which is now to be gently
      moved out
      > of the city (or more realistically be greatly reduced in target
      areas and
      > times), all while being left as a personal option for other
      transport as
      > people may wish. (Bearing in mind that recent studies provide
      evidence that
      > Swiss and German city dwellers who get to work and into the center
      by
      > non-car means, nonetheless for the most part continue to own and
      use own
      > cars for less dense travel and in the off peak).
      >

      > The strategy is to withdraw steadily street space from "normal
      mixed use"
      > and transfer it to more space efficient users, via programs of
      signage,
      > traffic management, surface treatments and compliance monitoring.
      And this