xTransit "charter" - step by step

  • Eric Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2006

      Quick note to express my appreciation for those of you who are pitching in to help us all better understand what xTransit is or could be all about.

      • xModes: The specific suggestions concerning organized/technology assisted hitchhiking and now local goods or package delivery (always very much the last minute poor cousin of transportation planning and practice) are to my mind very much part of this greater whole.  Let’s keep going.

      • Library: Perhaps others of you might wish to pop useful reference materials into the Library. It takes only a few minutes and you’ll see how to do it on the site.

      • Links:  And while we’re at it, you may also want to consider taking advantage of the Links section in which you can place URLs that you think are going to be useful to us all (taking a bit of care on the title and short qualifying information so that we will know what we are getting into.)

      • CHARM: And just to show you that this thread was not born just in these last days, I just popped into our Library (Files) a very old proposal for a CHARM system – Computer Helped Area-wide Regional Moblity system as we dubbed it back in 1978 (that’s right 1978, and the logistics motor proposed for the pilot was nothing less than the dear old, weird old Minitel, which would have been quite adequate for the job).

      Eric Britton