clever logistics - neighborhood goods drops

  • steveraneyc21
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
      Here's another attempt to refine the xTransit charter. Does looking
      at the processes that people undertake and developing clever
      logistical solutions fall under the scope of xTransit? There's merit
      for re-inventing some of the processes we undertake, in a manner that
      is competitive with current experience. This won't always lead to a
      techno-solution, rather this is a customer-centered and solution-
      centered approach.

      Here's an old example from Dan Sturges. I think the article is
      somewhere between 2 to 5 years old. He writes a nice new mobility
      article at: http://www.viridiandesign.org/notes/226-
      250/00243_community_mobility.html, and one portion of the concept is E-
      Docks. He tends to brainstorm about what additional simple bits of
      infrastructure he can add to neighborhoods to make them more efficient
      for the processes that residents undertake:

      6. E-Docks
      Have you ever had a note from FedEx or UPS on your door, saying they
      tried to deliver a package when you weren't home? That was a wasted
      trip for the delivery vehicle. Worse yet, it also requires you to then
      make another trip to their central facility to retrieve the package.

      With E-Docks, the delivery companies make one stop per
      neighborhood. Someone is always there to sign for your packages, which
      you then pick up at your convenience (for less cost than home
      delivery). Four new E-Dock concepts are being tested now in
      California. A bank of automated locker boxes have been placed in
      select transit stations. Commuters can exit the train at their station
      and proceed to their locker box for their packages. The locker's
      number and combination has been e-mailed to them by the delivery
      company, earlier in the day.
    • Anzir Boodoo
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2006
        On 6 Jan 2006, at 04:21, steveraneyc21 wrote:

        > Here's another attempt to refine the xTransit charter. Does looking
        > at the processes that people undertake and developing clever
        > logistical solutions fall under the scope of xTransit? There's merit
        > for re-inventing some of the processes we undertake, in a manner that
        > is competitive with current experience. This won't always lead to a
        > techno-solution, rather this is a customer-centered and solution-
        > centered approach.
        >
        > 6. E-Docks
        > Have you ever had a note from FedEx or UPS on your door, saying they
        > tried to deliver a package when you weren't home? That was a wasted
        > trip for the delivery vehicle. Worse yet, it also requires you to then
        > make another trip to their central facility to retrieve the package.

        ...or make them come back - or stop them in the street and demand to
        know where your parcel is (as I did once).

        > With E-Docks, the delivery companies make one stop per
        > neighborhood. Someone is always there to sign for your packages, which
        > you then pick up at your convenience (for less cost than home
        > delivery). Four new E-Dock concepts are being tested now in
        > California. A bank of automated locker boxes have been placed in
        > select transit stations. Commuters can exit the train at their station
        > and proceed to their locker box for their packages. The locker's
        > number and combination has been e-mailed to them by the delivery
        > company, earlier in the day.

        I think there are parallels... I can't remember off hand where this
        came from, but there was a proposal to deliver parcels to the local
        Post Office (walking distance for most urban residents in the UK)
        rather than to peoples' houses. This would not make sense now, as I
        think somewhere around half of all UK Post Offices have either closed
        or are about to, meaning many villages have lost theirs and sometimes
        long trips even for urban dwellers.

        The Californian train station concept sounds interesting... it makes
        me think of the former British Rail Red Star service where you
        dropped a parcel at a train station for same day delivery, and it
        arrived at the destination station, or was taken to the addressee by
        local courier from there. Unfortunately it could not compete against
        door to door services and the infrastructure was removed. Most main
        train stations in towns and large suburbs had a Red Star counter next
        to the ticket office or round the back.

        --
        Anzir Boodoo MRes MILT Aff. IRO
        transcience, Leeds Innovation Centre, 103 Clarendon Road, LEEDS LS2 9DF