these small vehicles will become part of the problem

  • Anzir Boodoo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
      Simon,
      On 5 Jan 2006, at 08:08, Simon Norton wrote:

      > Simon Norton <S.Norton@...>
      >
      > What does worry me is that if we rely on low capacity vehicles to
      > provide what
      >
      > Eric calls "car like mobility" then we won't be able to reduce
      > traffic levels
      >
      > enough because these small vehicles will become part of the
      > problem. In other
      >
      > words, there's a conflict between the need for sparse traffic
      > levels and the
      >
      > desire for car like mobility, and my personal view is that the
      > former is more
      >
      > important for the functioning of the city.
      Just as I'm on my way out this morning... I share the same concern,
      and I think the shared taxi network (xTransit or whatever we want to
      call it) must operate as part of the overall public transport system.
      I cannot see it happening any other way, because if it does provide a
      higher degree of mobility to the suburbs in particular, it will pose
      a threat to many presently marginal bus routes, and could bring down
      the bus network in some towns.

      I don't know if you've had a chance to look at my "thinking aloud"
      from yesterday morning - I ask whether this system should take people
      to "stations" at the edge of the city centre rather than drop them
      door to door (or very close to their destination at least). I've
      never been to New York, but certainly London and other major cities
      suffer from individual taxis being a major part of the problem in the
      city centre. They stop where they like to pick up and drop off,
      holding up other traffic in the process.

      Added to which, if we want this to be a quality mode, you need to
      have drivers who actually know how to drive, as opposed to throw a
      vehicle around the street, which sadly seems all too common with taxi
      drivers.

      --
      Anzir Boodoo MRes MILT Aff. IRO
      transcience, Leeds Innovation Centre, 103 Clarendon Road, LEEDS LS2 9DF