The place of xTransit?

  • Anzir Boodoo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2006
      Hi,

      Forgive me for the intrusion on this, but I'm still trying to get my
      head around where we fit into things.

      I have drawn this diagram to try and get my thoughts into order (your
      PDF reader needs to be a modern one that supports transparency). What
      I am wondering is... am I thinking along the right sort of lines, or
      not?

      Please don't think of the layers as "solid", the whole thing is
      indicative if nothing else. Forgive me if I appear to be barking up
      the wrong tree entirely.

      However, I'm hoping you notice two things:

      1. My continued reference to suburbs. We will not be rid of suburbs
      in a hurry, and I don't think we will at all. What we need to make
      sure is that through the city's mobility strategy, suburban centres
      can grow and become proper town centres in their own right, so people
      can have access to a wide range of services locally. Many suburbs
      already sit in this position.

      2. DRT as a complementary mode of transport. As an analogy (my sister
      is a complementary therapist), like complementary healthcare, it is
      meant to work with and be compatible with what you're already getting
      from your doctor, but fill in the gaps, get to where your doctor
      can't for whatever reason (it's not his or her fault, just that
      sometimes, to solve a problem, you need to look at it from a
      different perspective). At least this is what I hope... To my way of
      thinking, everywhere hangs off a major transport system (for the sake
      of argument, in the UK that's the InterCity rail network), using more
      and more finely grained networks to connect places. On the other
      hand, most travel is quite local and doesn't need these modes, but
      they should all fit together as seamlessly as possible. For some
      people, DRT will be irrelevant, others will use nothing but DRT. I
      still maintain that InterCity type rail is important to some large
      cities, where it forms a key component of the transport network (for
      example, it fulfils an "express local rail" function in the West
      Midlands area). Also remember that cities are very hard to bound
      spatially - some of London's functions may be found spatially
      distributed 100 or 150km away. With xTransit, we are not addressing
      these issues, but we must never assume that the city stops at the
      edge of the built up area.