taxi deregulation

  • Simon Norton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2006
      While I agree with most of what Eric said in his message to Footlickers, I am
      not sure that we want "more [taxis], more people in them"...

      As far as I am concerned, too many taxis are a symptom that the mass transit
      (i.e. public transport minus taxis) system isn't working properly.

      I agree that we want "more people in [taxis]" if that means replacing individual
      taxis by shared taxis, but not if it means more people choosing to use them in
      preference to mass transit.

      Taxis serve an important function for many journeys, but -- except possibly for
      some kinds of disabled people -- they should never be the "default" mode of
      transport.

      Simon Norton