Fwd: Technology for Taxi dispatch

  • Eric Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2005
      --- In NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com, <eric.britton@e...> wrote:

      -----Original Message----- Behalf Of etts@i...
      Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2004 6:45 AM
      To: sustran-discuss@l...

      I had mentioned that for demand responsive minibuses "the cost should be
      much lower than taxi, and the service much better than regular bus". Of
      course congestion will delay any operations, but part of the skill is to
      make realistic commitments to the customer. Also, SMS can be used to notify
      the customer of delay (somewhat negative use), or to advise them say 10
      minutes before arrival (more positive use) so that waiting time is
      minimised. The US paratransit experience may not be so relevant to Mumbai
      if the pick-up/drop-off points are far apart. In a dense city like Mumbai,
      I expect that a dispatcher (manual or auto) would cluster the pick-ups
      and/or drop-offs so that they are close to each other with minimum

      Within the FAMS project, (see www.famsweb.com ) a key aspect we examined
      was the concept of a "Mobility Agency" for flexible transport. This can be
      actual or virtual, but effectively acts as a concentrator of both travel
      requests and available transport services. The business and technical
      platform offers a set of business-to-customer (B2C) services covering the
      many different channels through which the customer can seek information,
      register demand, make booking, receive confirmation etc. On the other side
      it has a set of business-to-business (B2B) services which interfaces with
      the different providers of the transport services. Within FAMS we developed
      much of the applicable system architecture and structural issues.

      This overcomes much of the inertia or the barriers faced by the individual
      operators whose scale is too small to justify investment, develop markets,
      find the customers etc. The big challenge in DRT has always been how to
      find out about the diffuse customer demand (which does exist) in time to
      offer the customer solutions which meet his/her needs and is affordable to
      both the customer and the operator.

      There are issues about the individual owner-driver or the small operator
      participating in a scheme run by either a large entity or a commercial
      VASP. Here you can take one of two basic attitudes. The first is big = bad,
      and that the small guy is always going to lose out. So, nothing happens.
      The second is that big is the only way to achieve the critical mass, and
      that being part of it helps you develop your business. There are various
      mechanisms which can be used to ensure reasonable allocation of work.
      Incidentally, unfair allocation inevitably means that you are missing
      either cost-reduction or service quality opportunities.

      As I indicated in one of the previous mails, I think that in the European
      research effort we have developed a lot of the needed solutions. While
      there may yet be potential for large-scale flexible transport in European
      cities as an alternative to car travel, the huge potential is in Asian
      cities where the transport services already exist, and the take-up of
      mobile phones provides the B2C plaftorm, and can indeed also be used for
      dispatching purposes since almost all drivers have them.

      I think that this is one of the valid areas where technology-based
      solutions can be integrated with relatively-basic transport. The technology
      is primarily the software at the dispatching centre, and hence it is not
      necessary to put expensive equipment in every vehicle. It could be very
      interesting to see what India's IT sector could do in a JV with European or
      American firms who have developed the approaches until now.

      With best wishes,

      Brendan Finn.