246newmobilitycafe@yahoogroups.com

  • Eric Britton
    Apr 1, 2014

      ws-newsstandToday marks the fifth anniversary edition of World Streets. Our first number appeared on 31 March 2009 with an opening message by the editor — click here – announcing the targets, intent and proposed method of this new collaborative media venture. On the same day we published our Mission Statement — Say Goodbye to Old Mobility —  which you can read here. Today we would like to spend a few minutes with you to review  the accomplishments and, yes!,  the shortcomings and disappointments  of these first five years.  And then go on to look out to our hopes and intentions for the rest of this decade.

      - - > Complete article available here - http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2014/03/31/state-of-world-streets-2009-2014

      IN THE FIRST 1827 DAYS

      Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire

      During the 1827 calendar days that have passed since  World Streets  opened for business  we have, together with our many collaborators, managed to publish and share a total of 1,196 original articles, along with 1,365 photographs, maps, drawings and illustrations of many different sorts.

      The range of topics and places covered has been enormous, as is only appropriate for a journal with international pretensions. A quick visit to the drop-down menu in the upper right column labeled “Search by topic”  will give an idea of the considerable breadth of coverage.

      As of today we can count a total of 5436  registered readers, coming at last inspection from some 149 different countries on all continents.  On an average day we have anywhere from 150 to 200 visitors, with occasional peaks  that reach above the thousand. But this is the rare exception.

      For various reasons which we do not quite understand, the Journal is only lightly commented. Since opening day we have received  only a bit more than 800 letters from our readers,  though many excellent ones that have led not only to some lively discussions but to further coverage and articles in an attempt to respond to suggestions and challenges.  (It may also have something to do with the fact that most of our readers are busy enough with their own schedules but nonetheless take the time to drop in occasionally and follow the action.)

      Readers have the option of receiving daily updates as new articles appear, or a weekly summary.  More than half of our readers appear to prefer the latter.

      - - > Complete article available here - http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2014/03/31/state-of-world-streets-2009-2014

      Francis  Eric Knight Britton, Managing Director / Editor

      EcoPlan International. Association loi de 1901

      Sustainable Development | The Equity Initiative  | Sustainable Penang

      World Streets  |  New Mobility Consult | World Streets Online

      9, rue Gabillot   69003 Lyon France  |  T. +339 8326 9459

      M. +336 5088 0787  | E. eric.britton@...   S. newmobility