Georgia Independence Day Festival

  • PasAthene@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2008
      Hi!? My name is Ashleigh Roell and I'm new to this list and won't have the chance to post much but I do want to introduce myself and tell you about what I'm trying to do.?
      I live south of Atlanta in the city of McDonough, Georgia.? My dad and I have always loved the American Revolution but there just aren't many re-enactments down South for us to attend.? I have since joined Atlanta Baroque Dance and we have traveled to many re-enactments and had so much fun at each of them.? We really lament the fact that many people don't know much about the Revolutionary War.? It really bothered us when we realized how many people don't really know or care why we celebrate July 4th.? My dad knocked around some ideas and came up with The Georgia Independence Day Festival which we've been putting on for 7 years now every July 3 & 4.? We're now sponsored by our Parks & Recreation department and have been able to make this festival grow to over 9,000 people each year.? I now work for the Parks & Recreation as Events Coordinator so the festival is a big part of my job now.?
      We started out by hiring actors to portray our Founding Fathers and each year I have been working to make our festival more authentic - less like a Renaissance Festival and more like a living history - but I would really like to be able to show these folks a full-scale battle.? I had a small cannon crew out there this past July and they enjoyed themselves so much that they want to come back with their entire regiment and fife & drum corps.? That got me really believing that I could have a full-scale battle so I'm trying to tell all the re-enacting groups I know about this festival in the hopes that I can have something as big as the Under the Redcoat program in Williamsburg, Virginia.? I'm also looking to expand our Native American impression with any kind of exhibit or interpretation you may be able to offer.
      We hold the festival at Nash Farm Battlefield in Hampton, Georgia.? Nash Farm?encompasses part of the site of the largest cavalry raid in Georgia during the Civil War and we've uncovered?many, many artifacts from that battle and continue to have archaeological digs to find more.? You can visit http://www.henrycountybattlefield.com to read more about it and http://www.gidfestival.com?to learn more about our festival.?
      Anyone interested in?more information?can contact me at 770-288-7308 or at aroell@...??
      Thank you for your time and I look forward to getting to know you!

      Ashleigh Roell
      770-288-7308 office
      404-308-6140 cell

    • Dave Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2008
        Ashley,

        Allow me to introduce our group. we are the 2nd Co Georgia Artillery.
        We have two "commands'. The northern Command is in the Atlanta area and
        is comanded by Sam Harrison. You can reach him at harr354@... .
        The southern command is led by myself near Savannah at Ft Morris.
        Georgia's only remaining Rev War fort. You can reach me at
        cannonman_61@... . We have 10 men under arms, 4 different types
        of artillery pieces and small arms as well as camp gear. You can learn
        more about our group at www.2ndgeorgiaartillery.org .

        You may also contact me directly at 912-877-4447.

        I invite you and your father to contact us and join us in our unit and
        we may well be able to support you in your future endevours as well.

        Dave Swinford Lt

        2nd Co Ga Arty

        Ft. Morris Ga.

        Anyone interested in?more information? can contact me at 770-288-7308 or at aroell@.... ga.us??