ARRT of DC MAY MEETING

  • Glenn Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2012
      Dear Friends and Fellow Historians,

      If you live near or plan to visit the Washington, DC area, please join us for the 2 May 2012 meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of the District of Columbia (ARRT-DC).

      Our next program meeting is on 2 May 2012. The program will be presented by ARRT-DC member Glenn F. Williams - a little off topic but timely - Defending the New Nation, 1784-1811: Fact and Fiction about the U.S. Army on the Eve of the War of 1812 -  in recognition of the beginning of the War of 1812 Bicentennial Commemoration this year.

      Defending the New Nation, 1784-1811: Fact and Fiction about the U.S. Army on the Eve of the War of 1812

      There is a blank in the study of American military history between the end of the Revolutionary War and the start of the War of 1812. There are also misunderstandings as to the less than brilliant performance of the U.S. Army in the earlier stages of the latter conflict that may be incorrectly placed. This presentation explores the evolution and development of the U.S. military establishment through the late period of government under the Articles of Confederation, and the first few years under the Constitution. It compares and contrasts the national defense policies of the presidential administrations of Federalists George Washington and John Adams, and Republicans Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. It also looks at the national debate on whether a force of regulars, or reliance on a citizens' militia, was the country's "first line of defense."

      At the conclusion, attendees will better understand the development of both the regular Army and states' militias, as well as the rise, persistence and political implications of the "militia myth," and reasons for the Army's failures in the opening battles of the War of 1812.

      More on the program is posted on our ARRT Program webpage at:http://www.xenophongroup.com/patriot/arrt/arrtprgm.htm.

      The ARRT of DC meets at the Fort Myer (Arlington, VA) Officers Club on the first Wednesday of September, November, March and May, from 6:00 to 9:00 pm. For more information on attending the program, or the ARRT of DC in general, go to our web page at http://xenophongroup.com/patriot/arrt/arrtprgm.htm%c2%a0; OR, send an e-mail to me off list at gfwilliams607@...; or call: (703) 360-9712; or write: ARRT DC, PO Box 137, Mount Vernon, VA 22121.

      Best Regards,

      Glenn

    • Glenn Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8 8:32 AM
        Dear Friends and Fellow Historians,

        If you live near or plan to visit the Washington, DC area, please join us for the 5 September 2012 meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of the District of Columbia (ARRT-DC).

        The 5 September 2012 program "German Auxiliaries in the American Revolution" will be presented by Keith Young, who will describe King George III's use of troops from several states from what is now Germany to augment the British Army and Loyalist forces in this war. In the end, nearly 30,000 German auxiliary troops fought the Americans in almost all the major campaigns and battles of the war. The "Hessians," as they commonly came to be known, actually represented several small states in German speaking communities in Europe. These states actively used their small armies to serve with the forces of other nations to support their economies and the life-styles of their rulers. The presentation will look at why the British needed to use German auxiliaries, the numbers of troops provided by these principalities and states, how their units were organized and their role in the American Revolution. A representative Hessian regiment will be followed through the
        war to show how the German units participated with British arms in our battle for independence. Not all of the soldiers returned to German communities in Europe after the war, many remained in America to start life anew.
        Keith Young is a graduate of the Naval Academy who has a long standing interest in military history. He retired from the Navy after a career in nuclear submarines. After he retired a second time, from maintenance consulting and training, he became an active lecturer on military history. He has spoken at many Civil War round tables, community organizations, and educational institutions about American wars from the Revolution to World War II. For a number of years now, he has conducted military history classes for the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at GMU, the Lifelong Learning Institute of NOVA, and his favorite, Fairfax City's Green Acres Senior Center, where his dedicated class meets every week on Tuesday mornings.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25, 2013
           Dear Friends and Fellow Historians,

          Since our March meeting had to be cancelled due to the inclement weather, we postponed the scheduled program until Wednesday, 1 May.  If you live near or plan to visit the Washington, DC area, please join us for the 1 May 2013 meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of the District of Columbia (ARRT-DC).

          "Nathanael Greene's Northern Apprenticeship, 1775-1780" will be presented by Dr. Curtis F. Morgan, Professor of History, Lord Fairfax Community College, Middletown, VA; and a recent member of our ARRT. He has given several talks on Nathanael Green to other groups. This presentation is based upon his essay, "A Merchandise of Small Wares': Nathanael Greene's Northern Apprenticeship, 1775-1780," that recently appeared in the collection General Nathanael Greene and the American Revolution in the South, edited by Greg Massey and Jim Piecuch (Univ. of South Carolina Press, 2012).

          Dr. Curtis F. Morgan, Jr. has taught World and U.S. History at LFCC since August 2000. He earned his PhD in Modern European History from the University of South Carolina in 1998 and is the author of James F. Byrnes, Lucius Clay and American Policy in Germany, 1945-1947. Three entries of his ("Lord Fairfax", "Nathanael Greene", and "Winchester, VA") appear in the recently-launched Mount Vernon Digital Encyclopedia at http://www.mountvernon.org/encyclopedia. He is presently working on a military biography of General Nathanael Greene.