More filtering follies

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2007
      Australian teen breaks through the government's new $84 million filtering
      system in 30 minutes.

      Sixteen-year-old Melbourne teenager Tom Wood said it took him less than 30
      minutes to override the cyber barrier technology which was launched by Prime
      Minister John Howard earlier this month.

      "I downloaded it on Tuesday to see how good it was, because for 84 million
      dollars (69 million US), I would have expected a pretty unbreakable filter,"
      he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

      http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070827/ttc-lifestyle-australia-internet-sex-f
      il-0de2eff_1.html

      A government official was quoted as saying that it is better to have a
      computer than not. The problem is that relying on a filter results in false
      security and the failure to educate and monitor.

      I am working on an in-service presentation on Internet safety and
      responsible use. This will be a narrated Powerpoint. It should be ready
      mid-September. In this I strongly emphasize that filters are merely speed
      bumps and that teachers must ensure that they are prepared to lead students
      in quality educational activities and that all student Internet use must be
      monitored.

      http://cyber-safe-kids.com

      Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

      Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
      Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)
    • Art Wolinsky
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
        I just went back to the article to add a one line comment. I was
        simply going to say, "Do a Google search for cyberbllying suicide."
        Unfortunately, I wasn't able to leave a comment. It seems that they
        have shut down the comments and removed those that had already been left.

        I first visited the site right after getting Andy's post. At that
        time there were four comments all of which were reasoned and
        rational, but negative toward Wired and/or the author. Now that is
        REALLY poor form. SHAME ON WIRED!

        Andy, please keep us posted on how this thing plays out.

        Art

        Art Wolinsky
        OEO 3DWriting.com
        Technology Director - Online Internet Institute
        Educational Technology Director - WiredSafety.org
        awolinsky@...
        (609) 698-8223 (Home Office)
        (609) 618-4433 (Cell)

        I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.
        I will surely learn a great deal today.