A good story about cyberbullying

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2007
      Hey folks, here is a really good "teachable moment" story on cyberbullying
      from today's San Francisco Chronicle:

      "More than 1,000 new supportive e-mails and letters have flooded in for
      bullying victim Olivia Gardner, a middle school student in Novato, since
      The Chronicle published a story last week about a letter-writing
      campaign started by two Mill Valley sisters. "

      Here is the link to the full story:
      http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/31/BAGGDQ3CL421.DTL.

      One of the best ways to prevent cyberbullying is to empower the bystanders.
      Teens really do have the ability to make a difference. You can use this
      story in your class for a discussion about how your students can respond
      proactively to address this concern. Please make time for this. It is
      important.

      To further your discussion, there is student curriculum on my site. There is
      also a one page CyberbullyNOT poster that you can post in your
      room/library/computer lab.

      Please feel free to forward this message further, especially to the safe
      schools personnel in your district.

      Also check out my Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens site for booklets for
      Teens and Parents on Internet safety. These can be freely reproduced and
      might be helpful to send home before summer starts. By next fall (actually
      by NECC) I will have a Powerpoint that you can use for parent workshops.

      All best.

      http://cyber-safe-kids.com

      Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

      Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
      Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)