Re: [WWWEDU] Re:Feedback to U.S. Secretary of Education Spellings through a Forum Di

  • Claude Almansi
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2007
      Hi Steve

      I really love your initiative , though I'm not answering the questions
      at Classroom 2.0 because I'm not in the US.

      Here we are in 2007 and the US Secretary of Education makes a one-way
      survey about the use of tech in education - rather paradoxically old
      hat (or rather old-hattedly paradoxical), isn't it?

      In 2001 the much smaller equivalent in the much smaller Ticino Canton
      (Switzerland) did something similar, except it went through printed
      versions into the bargain. Average Swiss teachers were not quite ripe
      for online forums yet, so I asked to take the minutes in the first
      school where I taught that organised a discussion about the survey.
      Then I submitted the minutes to the teachers of the 2nd school before
      the meeting there, so it took us only 20 minutes to add other things
      to the previous answers. Then I did the same with the 3rd school, and
      everyone was happy.
      Then I did the same with the minutes of the 2nd school at the 3rd
      school, but there the headmaster balked indignantly at first: "That's
      CHEATING!", he yelled. But we managed to explain to him the difference
      between taking a test and answering a survey. And everyone was happy,
      especially the survey organizers when they got a single file instead
      of 3 bunches of sheets to be scanned before being entered in their
      database.

      But yep, your Secretary of Educatiion reminds me of that headmaster of
      the 3rd school back in 2001.

      Best

      Claude

      --