Re:Feedback to U.S. Secretary of Education Spellings through a Forum Di

  • Mark Schlager
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31 9:00 AM
      Steve et al.,
      My team is doing some work with the ED Office of Educational
      Technology Director, Tim Magner, based on the School2-0.org community
      map site. I will inform Tim of your site as he will be very
      interested in hearing from the field. Although I cannot promise
      anything, we may be able to use some of the input you get in what we
      are building. Sorry I cant be more specific at this time.
      Mark
      Mark Schlager
      Associate Director of Learning Communities
      Center for Technology in Learning
      SRI International
      333 Ravenswood Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025
      mark.schlager@...
      (p) 650-859-2881 (fax) 650-859-3673
      ctl.sri.com www.tappedin.org www.cltnet.org

      "Technology: It never leaves you alone"

      Feedback to U.S. Secretary of Education Spellings through a Forum Di
      Posted by: "Steve Hargadon" steve@... steve_hargadon
      Wed May 30, 2007 8:52 am (PST)

      For those in the U.S., Secretary Margaret Spellings has asked for
      ideas on the integration of technology in education. There is a form
      on the ed.gov site, but no ability to dialog or even leave your
      contact information if you fill it out. Therefore, I have created a
      forum thread for each of Secretary Spellings' questions at
      www.Classroom20.com, and propose that we discuss them there and invite
      her office to view the dialog on this website and even to participate.

      This is a terrific opportunity to not only respond but also to show
      the benefit of Web 2.0 technologies in addressing this kind of issue.
      I invite you to come to www.Classroom20.com and participate in this
      important discussion.

      Here are the questions:

      1. In what ways has technology improved the effectiveness of your
      classroom, school or district?

      2. Based on your role (administrator, parent, teacher, student,
      entrepreneur, business leader), how have you used educational data to
      make better decisions or be more successful?

      3. In what ways can technology help us prepare our children for global
      competition and reach our goals of eliminating achievement gaps and
      having all students read and do math on grade level by 2014?

      4. What should be the federal government's role in supporting the use
      of technology in our educational system?

      --
      Steve Hargadon
      steve@...

    • Steve Hargadon
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31 9:52 AM
        Thanks, Mark.

        There have been some interesting posts to the forum. Two things have
        occurred to me. First, that it's really important to separate out the
        several roles that technology can/does play in education, for they are very
        separate discussions. Second, that having a mechanism for dialog (especially
        in an increasingly collaborative culture) and for showcasing will be very
        important.

        Good luck with whatever it is that you can't be more specific about! :)
        BTW, I have done a series of audio interviews on "School 2.0" that are
        posted at http://edtechlive.wikispace.com/recordings+list.

        Steve

        On 5/31/07, Mark Schlager <mark.schlager@...> wrote:

        > Steve et al.,
        > My team is doing some work with the ED Office of Educational
        > Technology Director, Tim Magner, based on the School2-0.org community
        > map site. I will inform Tim of your site as he will be very
        > interested in hearing from the field. Although I cannot promise
        > anything, we may be able to use some of the input you get in what we
        > are building. Sorry I cant be more specific at this time.
        > Mark
        > Mark Schlager
        > Associate Director of Learning Communities
        > Center for Technology in Learning
        > SRI International
        > 333 Ravenswood Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025
        > mark.schlager@... <mark.schlager%40sri.com>
        > (p) 650-859-2881 (fax) 650-859-3673
        > ctl.sri.com www.tappedin.org www.cltnet.org
        >
        > "Technology: It never leaves you alone"
        >
        > Feedback to U.S. Secretary of Education Spellings through a Forum Di
        > Posted by: "Steve Hargadon" steve@... <steve%40hargadon.com>steve_hargadon
        > Wed May 30, 2007 8:52 am (PST)
        >
        > For those in the U.S., Secretary Margaret Spellings has asked for
        > ideas on the integration of technology in education. There is a form
        > on the ed.gov site, but no ability to dialog or even leave your
        > contact information if you fill it out. Therefore, I have created a
        > forum thread for each of Secretary Spellings' questions at
        > www.Classroom20.com, and propose that we discuss them there and invite
        > her office to view the dialog on this website and even to participate.
        >
        > This is a terrific opportunity to not only respond but also to show
        > the benefit of Web 2.0 technologies in addressing this kind of issue.
        > I invite you to come to www.Classroom20.com and participate in this
        > important discussion.
        >
        > Here are the questions:
        >
        > 1. In what ways has technology improved the effectiveness of your
        > classroom, school or district?
        >
        > 2. Based on your role (administrator, parent, teacher, student,
        > entrepreneur, business leader), how have you used educational data to
        > make better decisions or be more successful?
        >
        > 3. In what ways can technology help us prepare our children for global
        > competition and reach our goals of eliminating achievement gaps and
        > having all students read and do math on grade level by 2014?
        >
        > 4. What should be the federal government's role in supporting the use
        > of technology in our educational system?
        >
        > --
        > Steve Hargadon
        > steve@... <steve%40hargadon.com>
        > www.SteveHargadon.com
        > 916-899-1400

      • Claude Almansi
        Message 3 of 3 , May 31 2:05 PM
          Hi Steve

          I really love your initiative , though I'm not answering the questions
          at Classroom 2.0 because I'm not in the US.

          Here we are in 2007 and the US Secretary of Education makes a one-way
          survey about the use of tech in education - rather paradoxically old
          hat (or rather old-hattedly paradoxical), isn't it?

          In 2001 the much smaller equivalent in the much smaller Ticino Canton
          (Switzerland) did something similar, except it went through printed
          versions into the bargain. Average Swiss teachers were not quite ripe
          for online forums yet, so I asked to take the minutes in the first
          school where I taught that organised a discussion about the survey.
          Then I submitted the minutes to the teachers of the 2nd school before
          the meeting there, so it took us only 20 minutes to add other things
          to the previous answers. Then I did the same with the 3rd school, and
          everyone was happy.
          Then I did the same with the minutes of the 2nd school at the 3rd
          school, but there the headmaster balked indignantly at first: "That's
          CHEATING!", he yelled. But we managed to explain to him the difference
          between taking a test and answering a survey. And everyone was happy,
          especially the survey organizers when they got a single file instead
          of 3 bunches of sheets to be scanned before being entered in their
          database.

          But yep, your Secretary of Educatiion reminds me of that headmaster of
          the 3rd school back in 2001.

          Best

          Claude

          --