Re: Brits Propose Bridging Home-School Digital Divide

  • mahlness
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2007
      --- In wwwedu@yahoogroups.com, Andy Carvin <andycarvin@...> wrote:

      > At the British Education Technology Show today, UK
      > schools minister Jim Knight announced a new government
      > goal of bringing Internet access to all students who
      > don't already have it at home. Outlining a series of
      > education technology initiatives, Knight stated he was
      > launching a multi-stakeholder taskforce to develop a
      > sustainable strategy for bridging this home-school
      > digital divide.

      This sounds all warm and cozy, headed in a politically correct
      direction, but... this effort will fall way short, and it comes way
      too late. Large organizations move at glacier speed, and our kids
      are moving at the speed of light - in terms of embracing new
      technologies.

      Last night I opened up my classroom blog to my students from last
      year. I emailed all their parents, inviting their kids back, as
      alumni. They have to trust me, as I'm no longer the teacher of their
      kids. Today I heard back from four of those parents (one while I was
      writing this), thankfully taking me up on the offer to reinstate the
      blogs of their kids. We'll see how it goes. I teach third grade.
      They are big time fourth graders now :)

      This is way uncharted territory. My school district is years away
      from understanding or embracing web 2.0. The teachers in my building
      are too overwhelmed prepping their kids for tests to even think
      about this. And parents are looking for guidance...

      Teachers must step up and be the trail blazers between school and
      home right now. I don't know how this can happen on a large scale,
      unsupported by the big machine. Maybe grassroots efforts can still
      make a difference. All I know is there are a few families in Seattle
      who were happy to hear from a teacher at their school talking about
      the Internet in a positive way last night, a teacher willing to hold
      a hand and keep looking forward. I encourage teachers everywhere to
      take a risk or two. Parents are listening, waiting to hear from
      you. - Mark

      Mark Ahlness
      http://roomtwelve.com