Re: [WWWEDU] Brits Propose Bridging Home-School Digital Divide

  • tednellen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2007
      oh man, andy, this is interesting.

      i love this and embraced it when we in the good ole us of a embraced this.
      our problem has been the freakin filter controlled by the religious right.
      we re screwed in schools. access is a crap shoot and usually in the
      House's favor. my main concern is does UK have a filter that would
      hamstring the schools? if so, forget it. if not, bully, and they should
      have no problem. just today i found my scholars' docs and spreadsheets at
      gooogle blocked. after too many hours of work on my part, it will be
      unblocked at next undated, by next monday. swell!

      the reason usa schools and education is so far backward and getter
      backwarder more every day, is the darn filter.

      and you know what they don't work. my scholars access myspace, youtube and
      other sites i cant get to unless i use their unfilter hack. okay so what
      kind of lesson is this teaching? america, dont ask dont tell.

      i would really love to know what Knight is going to do. but the question
      about a filter is crucial. does UK have filters in schools as we do?

      ted

      On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Andy Carvin wrote:

      > At the British Education Technology Show today, UK
      > schools minister Jim Knight announced a new government
      > goal of bringing Internet access to all students who
      > don't already have it at home. Outlining a series of
      > education technology initiatives, Knight stated he was
      > launching a multi-stakeholder taskforce to develop a
      > sustainable strategy for bridging this home-school
      > digital divide.
      >
      > >From his speech:
      >
      > The so-called digital divide cannot be allowed to
      > create and reinforce social and academic divisions....
      > With more than 800,000 children and young people still
      > restricted to access at school, we run the risk that
      > they could be isolated and left behind. There is no
      > sense in asking every school to provide a learning
      > platform to support children at home if some - likely
      > to be the ones who might most benefit - are cut off
      > from that platform.
      >
      > Today, I not only want to reinforce that commitment,
      > but to talk further about our aspiration for universal
      > home access and how that might be made a reality. The
      > way to achieve this is by thinking both innovatively
      > and practically, and to use the wisdom of those who
      > really know what they are talking about. That's why we
      > are relying on industry to help with this - and many
      > thanks to Intel, RM and Dell who already doing just
      > that. We need to come up with a sustainable solution
      > which will work for future generations as well as this
      > one, building on existing good practice rather than
      > looking for a quick fix....
      >
      > I am setting up a Home Access Taskforce which I will
      > personally chair. I want this to bring together key
      > industry players, the voluntary sector, and education
      > representatives to look at the issues. Because ICT at
      > every child's fingertips is not the be-all and end-all
      > of our ambitions. We need to make sure that schools
      > and teachers can take full advantage, and parents too
      > can play a significant role.
      >
      > More quotes here:
      >
      > http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2007/01/brits_propose_bridging_homeschool_digita.html
      >
      > ------------------------
      > Andy Carvin
      > andycarvin at yahoo com
      > www.andycarvin.com
      > www.pbs.org/learningnow

      Ted Nellen 8-) http://www.tnellen.com/

      "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
      To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

      Buckminster Fuller
    • Andy Carvin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2007
        Knight dedicated one sentence in his speech to this issue:

        "And of course, all access to the internet by children must be safe
        access."

        He didn't elaborate.

        Linda Neary is a cultural correspondent here at NPR, so it could be
        for a variety of our shows. I don't see anything scheduled for
        tomorrow, but Talk of the Nation (TOTN) is tentatively scheduled to do
        a call-in segment next Tuesday at 2-4pm ET on Dateline's online
        predator series. I've circulated materials from WWWEDU to TOTN's
        producers, so they might be reaching out to get an educational
        perspective. And of course, it's a call-in show, so all of you are
        more than welcome to call in and sound off.

        andy

        --- In wwwedu@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Willard <nwillard@...> wrote:

        > > I am setting up a Home Access Taskforce which I will
        > > personally chair. I want this to bring together key
        > > industry players, the voluntary sector, and education
        > > representatives to look at the issues. Because ICT at
        > > every child's fingertips is not the be-all and end-all
        > > of our ambitions. We need to make sure that schools
        > > and teachers can take full advantage, and parents too
        > > can play a significant role.
        >
        > One of the most important aspects of this ‹ actually THE MOST IMPORTANT
        > aspect from my admittedly biased perspective ‹ is that parents must
        have a
        > sufficient understanding of all of the risks and effective strategies to
        > address those risks. I mean all risks ‹ not just the 3 p-¹s porn,
        predators,
        > and privacy.
        >
        > For example, most of the most popular children¹s web sites are heavily
        > involved in advergaming ‹ integrating commercial advertising into
        > entertainment activities. So we have lots of kids sitting on their butts
        > playing games that encourage them to eat junk food. And parents are
        largely
        > unaware that this is occurring. I am going to be interviewed by
        Linda Neary
        > of NPR on this issue tomorrow (not sure when the story will air).
        >
        > There also must be a strong focus on the quality of the online
        activities.
        > Certainly, there are some benefits from surfing, gaming, and gabbing
        ‹ if
        > kept in balance with other life activities. But how much of what young
        > people are doing online is of high benefit to their life? How can we
        > increase these kinds of activities and decrease the ³time-sink²
        activities
        > that are doing more harm than good?
        >
        > Nancy
        >
        > --
        > Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
        > Center for Safe and Responsible Internet Use
        > http://csriu.org
        > http://cyberbully.org
        > nwillard@...
        >
        > Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of
        Online Social
        > Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now
        available
        > online at http://cyberbully.org
        >
        > Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to
        Use the
        > Internet Safely and Responsibly. Jossey-Bass (March 16, 2007)

      • mahlness
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2007
          --- In wwwedu@yahoogroups.com, Andy Carvin <andycarvin@...> wrote:

          > At the British Education Technology Show today, UK
          > schools minister Jim Knight announced a new government
          > goal of bringing Internet access to all students who
          > don't already have it at home. Outlining a series of
          > education technology initiatives, Knight stated he was
          > launching a multi-stakeholder taskforce to develop a
          > sustainable strategy for bridging this home-school
          > digital divide.

          This sounds all warm and cozy, headed in a politically correct
          direction, but... this effort will fall way short, and it comes way
          too late. Large organizations move at glacier speed, and our kids
          are moving at the speed of light - in terms of embracing new
          technologies.

          Last night I opened up my classroom blog to my students from last
          year. I emailed all their parents, inviting their kids back, as
          alumni. They have to trust me, as I'm no longer the teacher of their
          kids. Today I heard back from four of those parents (one while I was
          writing this), thankfully taking me up on the offer to reinstate the
          blogs of their kids. We'll see how it goes. I teach third grade.
          They are big time fourth graders now :)

          This is way uncharted territory. My school district is years away
          from understanding or embracing web 2.0. The teachers in my building
          are too overwhelmed prepping their kids for tests to even think
          about this. And parents are looking for guidance...

          Teachers must step up and be the trail blazers between school and
          home right now. I don't know how this can happen on a large scale,
          unsupported by the big machine. Maybe grassroots efforts can still
          make a difference. All I know is there are a few families in Seattle
          who were happy to hear from a teacher at their school talking about
          the Internet in a positive way last night, a teacher willing to hold
          a hand and keep looking forward. I encourage teachers everywhere to
          take a risk or two. Parents are listening, waiting to hear from
          you. - Mark

          Mark Ahlness
          http://roomtwelve.com
        • Steve Feld
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 11, 2007
            Here is a link to a recent article in the British Times Online about
            parents texting teachers

            At the FORWARD School of Creative Writing in the Bronx where I am
            currently serving as Technology Consultant, I've developed an
            Attendance System that enables parents and teachers to close the
            communication gap.

            This system integrates class attendance taking procedures to enable the
            teacher to utilize valuable instructional time to teach the lesson. The
            teacher initializes the program. It accurately records attendance data
            as the students scan in making them accountable for their own
            attendance. Once the scanning is complete, the program gives teachers
            access to the name of the students who are absent. It facilitates
            completion of attendance sheets.

            The data collected can be posted on the Internet at myclassinfo.org. The
            parents are invited by the teachers to be part of this community to
            access this list daily to discover if their child and their child's
            friend were present in specific classes. Personal messages can also be
            written to parents opting in to the system.

            Basically, parents also can check if their children cut school or class.
            Students are more likely to attend all their classes if they know their
            parents can check if they were cutting class on that day. The student
            instructional period is optimized. By the time the late bells rings,
            attendance is taken. The data collected for absentees can easily be used
            to send letters home using a word processor. This is especially
            important for students without phones or homes without Internet access.

            Here is a slide show presented to the parents at a recent Parent Teacher
            meeting. http://tqnyc.org/NYC051308/atm/ptaflip.htm

            Sincerely,
            Steve Feld
            Newton's Castle