Re: [WWWEDU] Emergence of Citizen's Media

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 22, 2006
      This reminds me of a story involving my daughter. There was a math teacher
      at her middle school who fortunately decided to retire. She really did not
      treat the students with respect, especially any of the more needy students.
      The school knew there were concerns. They had students complete
      questionnaires. They had people visit her class ‹ but according to my
      daughter, she always was nice whenever someone was watching her.

      So the students cooked up a scheme. They were going to use one student¹s
      video cell phone to capture images of this teacher doing what they did not
      like her doing. They never actually pulled this off. But it was interesting
      to me how 6th grade students understood the power of the technology to
      address such concerns.

      Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now available
      online at http://cyberbully.org

      Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Use the Internet
      Safely and Responsibly. Jossey-Bass (forthcoming)

    • John Lindner
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
        At 01:29 PM 11/22/2006 -0800, Nancy Willard wrote:
        >...So the students cooked up a scheme. They were going to use one student¹s
        >video cell phone to capture images of this teacher doing what they did not
        >like her doing. They never actually pulled this off. But it was interesting
        >to me how 6th grade students understood the power of the technology to
        >address such concerns.

        In some areas, this could result in the suspension of the students involved.

        In California, the Education Code says:

        48901.5. (a) The governing board of each school district, or its
        designee, may regulate the possession or use of any electronic
        signaling device that operates through the transmission or receipt of
        radio waves, including, but not limited to, paging and signaling
        equipment, by pupils of the school district while the pupils are on
        campus, while attending school-sponsored activities, or while under
        the supervision and control of school district employees.

        and

        51512. The Legislature finds that the use by any person, including
        a pupil, of any electronic listening or recording device in any
        classroom of the elementary and secondary schools without the prior
        consent of the teacher and the principal of the school given to
        promote an educational purpose disrupts and impairs the teaching
        process and discipline in the elementary and secondary schools, and
        such use is prohibited. Any person, other than a pupil, who
        willfully violates this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
        Any pupil violating this section shall be subject to appropriate
        disciplinary action.
        This section shall not be construed as affecting the powers,
        rights, and liabilities arising from the use of electronic listening
        or recording devices as provided for by any other provision of law.

        FYI.

        John Lindner
        Second/Third Grade Teacher
        San Jose, California
        jlindner@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2006
          Interesting provision. Could set up a very interesting situation. If
          students believe a teacher to be abusive and the school unresponsive to such
          abuse and the students seek to obtain video evidence of such abuse for the
          purpose of getting the school to stop the abuse, how can this be considered
          ³disrupting and impairing the teaching process and discipline?²

          So let¹s consider another example. A coach regularly interacts with female
          students in a highly inappropriate sexual manner. Should a student be
          suspended for capturing an incident of this nature on her cell phone video
          camera?

          Perhaps we should consider a law that makes it a misdemeanor for any citizen
          to capture video evidence of a law enforcement official engaging in a
          violent act because this ³disrupts law and order.²

          The other interesting thing is that I am currently trying to address the
          ramifications of a federal court decision in Pennsylvania that indicated
          that it was a potential violation of the state wiretapping law for the
          principal to review the stored electronic records on a student¹s cell phone.
          It that particular case it was pretty clear that the school officials did
          not have sufficient reasonable suspicion to conduct such a search.

          I would be interested in any other examples of legislation addressing
          personal digital devices in schools. One of my current challenges is sorting
          this out.

          Nancy

          > At 01:29 PM 11/22/2006 -0800, Nancy Willard wrote:
          >> >...So the students cooked up a scheme. They were going to use one student¹s
          >> >video cell phone to capture images of this teacher doing what they did not
          >> >like her doing. They never actually pulled this off. But it was interesting
          >> >to me how 6th grade students understood the power of the technology to
          >> >address such concerns.
          >
          > In some areas, this could result in the suspension of the students involved.
          >
          > In California, the Education Code says:
          >
          > 48901.5. (a) The governing board of each school district, or its
          > designee, may regulate the possession or use of any electronic
          > signaling device that operates through the transmission or receipt of
          > radio waves, including, but not limited to, paging and signaling
          > equipment, by pupils of the school district while the pupils are on
          > campus, while attending school-sponsored activities, or while under
          > the supervision and control of school district employees.
          >
          > and
          >
          > 51512. The Legislature finds that the use by any person, including
          > a pupil, of any electronic listening or recording device in any
          > classroom of the elementary and secondary schools without the prior
          > consent of the teacher and the principal of the school given to
          > promote an educational purpose disrupts and impairs the teaching
          > process and discipline in the elementary and secondary schools, and
          > such use is prohibited. Any person, other than a pupil, who
          > willfully violates this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
          > Any pupil violating this section shall be subject to appropriate
          > disciplinary action.
          > This section shall not be construed as affecting the powers,
          > rights, and liabilities arising from the use of electronic listening
          > or recording devices as provided for by any other provision of law.
          >
          > FYI.
          >
          > John Lindner
          > Second/Third Grade Teacher
          > San Jose, California
          > jlindner@... <mailto:jlindner%40davisschool.org>

          Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now available
          online at http://cyberbully.org

          Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Use the Internet
          Safely and Responsibly. Jossey-Bass (forthcoming)

        • Andy Carvin
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
            --- In wwwedu@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Willard <nwillard@...> wrote:

            > Interesting provision. Could set up a very interesting situation. If
            > students believe a teacher to be abusive and the school unresponsive
            to such
            > abuse and the students seek to obtain video evidence of such abuse
            for the
            > purpose of getting the school to stop the abuse, how can this be
            considered
            > ³disrupting and impairing the teaching process and discipline?²

            I've already found one incident where this hypothesis was put to the
            test. In 1999, a pair of students at an LA high school felt that their
            teacher was acting inappropriately, but they didn't have any proof. So
            they secretly videotaped the teacher in question, then supplied the
            video to the school board. The board began disciplinary proceedings
            against the teacher, but also suspended the students. The teacher took
            the board to court, saying the CA Education Code bars students from
            secretly recording in the classroom. The appellate court ruled that
            while this was true, it didn't bar the school board from using that
            video to discipline the teacher. So as far as they were concerned,
            students' videos could be used to remedy an injustice, but the
            students should be prepared to face the consequences of breaking the
            rules, even if their intentions are good.

            http://caselaw.findlaw.com/data2/californiastatecases/b133074.doc

            I've written about the case, as well as WWWEDU thread that started it,
            this morning on my PBS blog.

            The Student Becomes the Spy Master
            A video of a recent tasering incident by a police officer against a
            college student gets posted on YouTube and creates a public outcry.
            With more and more students having access to camera phones, how do you
            balance maintaining discipline with documenting injustices on campus?

            http://www.pbs.org/learningnow

            http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/learning.now/2006/12/the_student_becomes_the_spy_ma.html

            andy carvin
            andycarvin@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006

              > I've already found one incident where this hypothesis was put to the
              > test. In 1999, a pair of students at an LA high school felt that their
              > teacher was acting inappropriately, but they didn't have any proof. So
              > they secretly videotaped the teacher in question, then supplied the
              > video to the school board. The board began disciplinary proceedings

              Fascinating, cyber-civil disobedience. Why is my ³grew up in the 60¹s have a
              small child adopted from India who shares Gandhi¹s birthday² heart smiling.
              ;-)

              Some teachers bully. There is very little research on this. One really great
              article is linked off of this page:
              http://www.stopbullyingnow.com/bullying%20by%20teachers.htm. This is the
              only reference I could find on this.

              I have focused on this issue in my cyberbullying book because I needed to
              address the web sites that students create that target school staff.
              Sometimes these sites put down teachers ‹ obese, gay. Picture a site that
              Harry Potter¹s Malfoy would create targeting Hagrid. Sometimes, you just
              have a bored kid, and kid who is not doing well and lashing out at anything
              having to do with school. But other times I think these web sites have been
              created by students who have been bullied by the school staff who they are
              targeting online. And I think it is really important for school officials to
              really figure out what is going on and not simply assume the child is
              totally in the wrong.

              Speaking of ³child,² mine wants a ride to school this cold morning. Bye.

              Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now available
              online at http://cyberbully.org

              Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Use the Internet
              Safely and Responsibly. Jossey-Bass (forthcoming)

            • Ja Young
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
                Dear Nancy -

                Your are correct in terms of students creating sites to put down teachers because the teachers really are bullies. About 6 years ago when my daughter was an AP / honor student but also a spoiled only, she complained about one of her English teacher's in high school, I took it with a grain of salt. But she was coming home upset and finally showed me sites from other students about this teacher - with quotes of things the teacher had said to them. I was literally shocked but still gave the teacher the benefit of the doubt and scheduled a meeting with her. When it was over I scheduled a meeting with the counselor and had my daughter's class changed. The kids were definitely right and if I had not had the opportunity to see so many other student's complaints online - I am not sure if I would have acted as quickly as I did, which would have been to my daughter's detriment.

                Take care,
                Ja Young

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 6, 2006
                  At 12:51 PM 12/4/2006 -0800, Nancy Willard wrote:
                  >Interesting provision. Could set up a very interesting situation. If
                  >students believe a teacher to be abusive and the school unresponsive to such
                  >abuse and the students seek to obtain video evidence of such abuse for the
                  >purpose of getting the school to stop the abuse, how can this be considered
                  >"disrupting and impairing the teaching process and discipline?"

                  As far as I know (without researching the legislative history), the
                  section of the CA Ed Code regarding "electronic listening or
                  recording devices" pre-dates cell phones: it was passed years ago
                  regarding audio tape recordings.

                  If schools are unresponsive there are other district-based channels
                  that students can pursue; but I think this section is meant to avoid
                  getting into a conundrum of not having respected the right to not
                  self-incriminate oneself: how can one avoid this if one doesn't know
                  a recording is being made. Of course, the best way to avoid that is
                  to not *be* abusive in the first place (i.e, to act professionally
                  and with a sense of ethics); and the second best way is to have
                  administrators who are routinely monitoring what's going on in their
                  classrooms and on their athletic fields.

                  >So let's consider another example. A coach regularly interacts with female
                  >students in a highly inappropriate sexual manner. Should a student be
                  >suspended for capturing an incident of this nature on her cell phone video
                  >camera?

                  Should they? Common sense says, of course not.

                  Can they be? Apparently so.

                  >Perhaps we should consider a law that makes it a misdemeanor for any citizen
                  >to capture video evidence of a law enforcement official engaging in a
                  >violent act because this "disrupts law and order."

                  Different set of facts, different situation. Police have far greater
                  range of authority than teachers do, in my opinion and can wreak much
                  more havoc with abuses of authority.

                  John

                  John Lindner
                  Second/Third Grade Teacher