Emergence of Citizen’s Media

  • cyberpg2000
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 20, 2006
      This info will be published tomorrow on the
      NetHappenings Mailing List
      http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/

      I consider this an excellent example of students using the power of
      the net for political purposes and that it was extremely useful for
      teachers to see the immediacy of how fast communication happens.

      On the Net: outraged bloggers and blog aggregators turned the
      fracas at UCLA into nationwide news. Mostafa Tabatabainejad, a
      23-year-old senior was apparently leaving the library anyway.
      The video, which was posted almost immediately on YouTube, shows an
      officer repeatedly shooting the student (identified by the Los
      Angeles Times as Mostafa Tabatabainejad) with a Taser as he
      screams in agony and rage and other students try to intervene.
      What appears to be an outrageous use of a "taser" against a
      proposed UCLA student in Powell.
      Filmed and up on YouTube and then links to UCLA's response:
      followed by a press release by the police themselves.
      Amnesty International estimates Tasers have caused 120 deaths
      and there are known long term health effects.
      The student appears to have retained a high profile lawyer that
      intends to file charges against the police.
      Students are citizens and this is an example of the Emergence of
      Citizen’s Media.

      Karen Ellis
      Educational CyberPlayGround
      http://www.edu-cyberpg.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 22, 2006
        This reminds me of a story involving my daughter. There was a math teacher
        at her middle school who fortunately decided to retire. She really did not
        treat the students with respect, especially any of the more needy students.
        The school knew there were concerns. They had students complete
        questionnaires. They had people visit her class ‹ but according to my
        daughter, she always was nice whenever someone was watching her.

        So the students cooked up a scheme. They were going to use one student¹s
        video cell phone to capture images of this teacher doing what they did not
        like her doing. They never actually pulled this off. But it was interesting
        to me how 6th grade students understood the power of the technology to
        address such concerns.

        Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now available
        online at http://cyberbully.org

        Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Use the Internet
        Safely and Responsibly. Jossey-Bass (forthcoming)

      • John Lindner
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2006
          At 01:29 PM 11/22/2006 -0800, Nancy Willard wrote:
          >...So the students cooked up a scheme. They were going to use one student¹s
          >video cell phone to capture images of this teacher doing what they did not
          >like her doing. They never actually pulled this off. But it was interesting
          >to me how 6th grade students understood the power of the technology to
          >address such concerns.

          In some areas, this could result in the suspension of the students involved.

          In California, the Education Code says:

          48901.5. (a) The governing board of each school district, or its
          designee, may regulate the possession or use of any electronic
          signaling device that operates through the transmission or receipt of
          radio waves, including, but not limited to, paging and signaling
          equipment, by pupils of the school district while the pupils are on
          campus, while attending school-sponsored activities, or while under
          the supervision and control of school district employees.

          and

          51512. The Legislature finds that the use by any person, including
          a pupil, of any electronic listening or recording device in any
          classroom of the elementary and secondary schools without the prior
          consent of the teacher and the principal of the school given to
          promote an educational purpose disrupts and impairs the teaching
          process and discipline in the elementary and secondary schools, and
          such use is prohibited. Any person, other than a pupil, who
          willfully violates this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
          Any pupil violating this section shall be subject to appropriate
          disciplinary action.
          This section shall not be construed as affecting the powers,
          rights, and liabilities arising from the use of electronic listening
          or recording devices as provided for by any other provision of law.

          FYI.

          John Lindner
          Second/Third Grade Teacher
          San Jose, California
          jlindner@...
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 4, 2006
            Interesting provision. Could set up a very interesting situation. If
            students believe a teacher to be abusive and the school unresponsive to such
            abuse and the students seek to obtain video evidence of such abuse for the
            purpose of getting the school to stop the abuse, how can this be considered
            ³disrupting and impairing the teaching process and discipline?²

            So let¹s consider another example. A coach regularly interacts with female
            students in a highly inappropriate sexual manner. Should a student be
            suspended for capturing an incident of this nature on her cell phone video
            camera?

            Perhaps we should consider a law that makes it a misdemeanor for any citizen
            to capture video evidence of a law enforcement official engaging in a
            violent act because this ³disrupts law and order.²

            The other interesting thing is that I am currently trying to address the
            ramifications of a federal court decision in Pennsylvania that indicated
            that it was a potential violation of the state wiretapping law for the
            principal to review the stored electronic records on a student¹s cell phone.
            It that particular case it was pretty clear that the school officials did
            not have sufficient reasonable suspicion to conduct such a search.

            I would be interested in any other examples of legislation addressing
            personal digital devices in schools. One of my current challenges is sorting
            this out.

            Nancy

            > At 01:29 PM 11/22/2006 -0800, Nancy Willard wrote:
            >> >...So the students cooked up a scheme. They were going to use one student¹s
            >> >video cell phone to capture images of this teacher doing what they did not
            >> >like her doing. They never actually pulled this off. But it was interesting
            >> >to me how 6th grade students understood the power of the technology to
            >> >address such concerns.
            >
            > In some areas, this could result in the suspension of the students involved.
            >
            > In California, the Education Code says:
            >
            > 48901.5. (a) The governing board of each school district, or its
            > designee, may regulate the possession or use of any electronic
            > signaling device that operates through the transmission or receipt of
            > radio waves, including, but not limited to, paging and signaling
            > equipment, by pupils of the school district while the pupils are on
            > campus, while attending school-sponsored activities, or while under
            > the supervision and control of school district employees.
            >
            > and
            >
            > 51512. The Legislature finds that the use by any person, including
            > a pupil, of any electronic listening or recording device in any
            > classroom of the elementary and secondary schools without the prior
            > consent of the teacher and the principal of the school given to
            > promote an educational purpose disrupts and impairs the teaching
            > process and discipline in the elementary and secondary schools, and
            > such use is prohibited. Any person, other than a pupil, who
            > willfully violates this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
            > Any pupil violating this section shall be subject to appropriate
            > disciplinary action.
            > This section shall not be construed as affecting the powers,
            > rights, and liabilities arising from the use of electronic listening
            > or recording devices as provided for by any other provision of law.
            >
            > FYI.
            >
            > John Lindner
            > Second/Third Grade Teacher
            > San Jose, California
            > jlindner@... <mailto:jlindner%40davisschool.org>

            Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now available
            online at http://cyberbully.org

            Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Use the Internet
            Safely and Responsibly. Jossey-Bass (forthcoming)

          • Andy Carvin
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
              --- In wwwedu@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Willard <nwillard@...> wrote:

              > Interesting provision. Could set up a very interesting situation. If
              > students believe a teacher to be abusive and the school unresponsive
              to such
              > abuse and the students seek to obtain video evidence of such abuse
              for the
              > purpose of getting the school to stop the abuse, how can this be
              considered
              > ³disrupting and impairing the teaching process and discipline?²

              I've already found one incident where this hypothesis was put to the
              test. In 1999, a pair of students at an LA high school felt that their
              teacher was acting inappropriately, but they didn't have any proof. So
              they secretly videotaped the teacher in question, then supplied the
              video to the school board. The board began disciplinary proceedings
              against the teacher, but also suspended the students. The teacher took
              the board to court, saying the CA Education Code bars students from
              secretly recording in the classroom. The appellate court ruled that
              while this was true, it didn't bar the school board from using that
              video to discipline the teacher. So as far as they were concerned,
              students' videos could be used to remedy an injustice, but the
              students should be prepared to face the consequences of breaking the
              rules, even if their intentions are good.

              http://caselaw.findlaw.com/data2/californiastatecases/b133074.doc

              I've written about the case, as well as WWWEDU thread that started it,
              this morning on my PBS blog.

              The Student Becomes the Spy Master
              A video of a recent tasering incident by a police officer against a
              college student gets posted on YouTube and creates a public outcry.
              With more and more students having access to camera phones, how do you
              balance maintaining discipline with documenting injustices on campus?

              http://www.pbs.org/learningnow

              http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/learning.now/2006/12/the_student_becomes_the_spy_ma.html

              andy carvin
              andycarvin@...
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006

                > I've already found one incident where this hypothesis was put to the
                > test. In 1999, a pair of students at an LA high school felt that their
                > teacher was acting inappropriately, but they didn't have any proof. So
                > they secretly videotaped the teacher in question, then supplied the
                > video to the school board. The board began disciplinary proceedings

                Fascinating, cyber-civil disobedience. Why is my ³grew up in the 60¹s have a
                small child adopted from India who shares Gandhi¹s birthday² heart smiling.
                ;-)

                Some teachers bully. There is very little research on this. One really great
                article is linked off of this page:
                http://www.stopbullyingnow.com/bullying%20by%20teachers.htm. This is the
                only reference I could find on this.

                I have focused on this issue in my cyberbullying book because I needed to
                address the web sites that students create that target school staff.
                Sometimes these sites put down teachers ‹ obese, gay. Picture a site that
                Harry Potter¹s Malfoy would create targeting Hagrid. Sometimes, you just
                have a bored kid, and kid who is not doing well and lashing out at anything
                having to do with school. But other times I think these web sites have been
                created by students who have been bullied by the school staff who they are
                targeting online. And I think it is really important for school officials to
                really figure out what is going on and not simply assume the child is
                totally in the wrong.

                Speaking of ³child,² mine wants a ride to school this cold morning. Bye.

                Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now available
                online at http://cyberbully.org

                Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Use the Internet
                Safely and Responsibly. Jossey-Bass (forthcoming)

              • Ja Young
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
                  Dear Nancy -

                  Your are correct in terms of students creating sites to put down teachers because the teachers really are bullies. About 6 years ago when my daughter was an AP / honor student but also a spoiled only, she complained about one of her English teacher's in high school, I took it with a grain of salt. But she was coming home upset and finally showed me sites from other students about this teacher - with quotes of things the teacher had said to them. I was literally shocked but still gave the teacher the benefit of the doubt and scheduled a meeting with her. When it was over I scheduled a meeting with the counselor and had my daughter's class changed. The kids were definitely right and if I had not had the opportunity to see so many other student's complaints online - I am not sure if I would have acted as quickly as I did, which would have been to my daughter's detriment.

                  Take care,
                  Ja Young

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 6, 2006
                    At 12:51 PM 12/4/2006 -0800, Nancy Willard wrote:
                    >Interesting provision. Could set up a very interesting situation. If
                    >students believe a teacher to be abusive and the school unresponsive to such
                    >abuse and the students seek to obtain video evidence of such abuse for the
                    >purpose of getting the school to stop the abuse, how can this be considered
                    >"disrupting and impairing the teaching process and discipline?"

                    As far as I know (without researching the legislative history), the
                    section of the CA Ed Code regarding "electronic listening or
                    recording devices" pre-dates cell phones: it was passed years ago
                    regarding audio tape recordings.

                    If schools are unresponsive there are other district-based channels
                    that students can pursue; but I think this section is meant to avoid
                    getting into a conundrum of not having respected the right to not
                    self-incriminate oneself: how can one avoid this if one doesn't know
                    a recording is being made. Of course, the best way to avoid that is
                    to not *be* abusive in the first place (i.e, to act professionally
                    and with a sense of ethics); and the second best way is to have
                    administrators who are routinely monitoring what's going on in their
                    classrooms and on their athletic fields.

                    >So let's consider another example. A coach regularly interacts with female
                    >students in a highly inappropriate sexual manner. Should a student be
                    >suspended for capturing an incident of this nature on her cell phone video
                    >camera?

                    Should they? Common sense says, of course not.

                    Can they be? Apparently so.

                    >Perhaps we should consider a law that makes it a misdemeanor for any citizen
                    >to capture video evidence of a law enforcement official engaging in a
                    >violent act because this "disrupts law and order."

                    Different set of facts, different situation. Police have far greater
                    range of authority than teachers do, in my opinion and can wreak much
                    more havoc with abuses of authority.

                    John

                    John Lindner
                    Second/Third Grade Teacher