Re: [WWWEDU] Re: Super Simple Podcasting for PCs?

  • Janice Friesen
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9, 2006
      Even though I learn a lot in the blogs I read, I love this discussion list!

      This summer, while in Greece and Turkey I thought I should learn to podcast.
      I imagined capturing some interviews with interesting people and sounds of
      calls to prayer in Turkey and other things. My first effort was to record my
      Greek friends singing ³Happy Birthday² to me in Greek
      (http://jfriesen.edublogs.org/2006/06/20/special-birthday-edition-with-music
      /) . I linked this to my blog and realized that it really was just a sound
      file and not a podcast. It occurred to me that the difference between these
      two is what Andy explained ­ RSS or subscription. A podcast is something
      you can subscribe to.

      However, I totally identify with the rest of the discussion and with Susan¹s
      suggestions (below). I often read the exciting things that Ed Tech leaders
      are doing, and then go back to school (and life) where people still don¹t
      know what a blog is (although they have heard the term). Much of what I get
      excited about reading this list and blogs just sounds like so much
      impossible hype that doesn¹t really connect to what is happening to
      teachers. Of course there are fantastic teachers like Mark Ahlness out
      there doing it, but they are the exception. Maybe that is OK.

      I wonder if I am thinking more about elementary students and the situation
      is different with Hiigh School classes? I also wonder about subscriptions.
      The difference between push and pull technology REALLY does make a huge
      difference. How can we help teachers to understand that even if it is only
      for their own professional development?

      Good podcasting info:
      I did a search and came up with this Shambles list of sites
      (http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/infolit/edupodcast/). They look
      good. I remember reading Andy Carvin¹s podcasting primer (I think). I am
      hoping that he will put the link here too.

      Janice
      janicef@...
      http://malahinitx.blogspot.com