Re: [WWWEDU] Nigerian Scams

  • Leah Dawn
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 5:26 PM
      > We have been getting a great number of Nigerian investment scams again.
      > I recall there was a federal or state process to follow to report
      > these. Anyone know what one should do besides not responding?
      >
      > Ted

      I've also been getting a great number of Nigerian scam emails. I simply
      email abuse@..., and I look in my header to see if there any
      other indications of where the mail came from and send it to their abuse@
      addy. I take it a step further and look up the domain on whois and send it
      to the registrants email address.

      Then I go to the Nigerian Scam Coalition or other such somethin' :

      http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/ There are about two email addresses
      you can forward your email to. Be sure to include full Internet headers
      which you can set in your mail preferences.

      One week I must have received 20 of them. Usually one or two a week is
      median. But lately, thank goodness, I haven't been getting any. Typically
      they are coming from a yahoo account. I always hear back from
      abuse@... and they say that the email account has been closed. I
      believe that sometimes I get retaliatory and very suspect email right after
      this happens. Interesting theory, to be sure.

      Long story, but I'll just give ya the jist: A good friend of mine actually
      went to Africa TWICE. He met with people and they said they had 'dirty
      money' - money that needed to be cleaned of some ink or whatever. What a
      hoot (not really, I was worried about my friend being alone with these
      hoods). He almost completely fell for it. What worried me most was that he
      was duped with regard to how mushy and eager they are toward 'you'. "you
      have been chosen" "be with god as we take this journey together" very
      manipulative language. Many folks have lost a ton of money. I encouraged
      my friend to give the secret service details, in an effort to squelch this
      one particular 'cell'. It's a huge network of people. If you are American
      and you go to Africa, you stand out like a sore thumb. And my friend is
      African American no less. He was offered gold so many times it wasn't
      funny. Many people would just come by and open their jackets. This happens
      in not just in Africa either. I've been getting quite a number of scam
      emails from India and other places.

      I guess they all figure their odds are good if they harvest hundreds of
      thousands of email addresses from places like yahoogroups, then send
      everyone an email saying how special we are that we were chosen to take part
      in money laundering or freeing up rebel funds. Greed.

      Good luck!

      Leah Dawn
      MentorGirls.org
      leahdawn@...
    • gsackmann
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3 8:30 AM
        Hi!

        I posted this to my net-happenings list this am: