Re: Nigerian Scams

  • Larry Cartwright
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2002
      After receiving a few Nigerian scamspams, I copied the entire message
      (with headers) and e-mailed it to the operators of the .ng ISP from
      which it was addressed, along with my statement of concern about the
      fraudulent nature of the message. I got a nice reply from their
      Engineer the following day promising to "fish out the culprit and hand
      him/her over to the police". I don't know if they did, but I haven't
      gotten a .ng scamspam since.

      In my experience, ISP operators are concerned and willing to take action
      regarding abuses of their service if you approach them tactfully.

      Best wishes,

      Larry

      Larry Cartwright <exit60@...>
      Retired Science and Technology Teacher
      Charlotte MI 48813 USA

      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2002
        > We have been getting a great number of Nigerian investment scams again.
        > I recall there was a federal or state process to follow to report
        > these. Anyone know what one should do besides not responding?
        >
        > Ted

        I've also been getting a great number of Nigerian scam emails. I simply
        email abuse@..., and I look in my header to see if there any
        other indications of where the mail came from and send it to their abuse@
        addy. I take it a step further and look up the domain on whois and send it
        to the registrants email address.

        Then I go to the Nigerian Scam Coalition or other such somethin' :

        http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/ There are about two email addresses
        you can forward your email to. Be sure to include full Internet headers
        which you can set in your mail preferences.

        One week I must have received 20 of them. Usually one or two a week is
        median. But lately, thank goodness, I haven't been getting any. Typically
        they are coming from a yahoo account. I always hear back from
        abuse@... and they say that the email account has been closed. I
        believe that sometimes I get retaliatory and very suspect email right after
        this happens. Interesting theory, to be sure.

        Long story, but I'll just give ya the jist: A good friend of mine actually
        went to Africa TWICE. He met with people and they said they had 'dirty
        money' - money that needed to be cleaned of some ink or whatever. What a
        hoot (not really, I was worried about my friend being alone with these
        hoods). He almost completely fell for it. What worried me most was that he
        was duped with regard to how mushy and eager they are toward 'you'. "you
        have been chosen" "be with god as we take this journey together" very
        manipulative language. Many folks have lost a ton of money. I encouraged
        my friend to give the secret service details, in an effort to squelch this
        one particular 'cell'. It's a huge network of people. If you are American
        and you go to Africa, you stand out like a sore thumb. And my friend is
        African American no less. He was offered gold so many times it wasn't
        funny. Many people would just come by and open their jackets. This happens
        in not just in Africa either. I've been getting quite a number of scam
        emails from India and other places.

        I guess they all figure their odds are good if they harvest hundreds of
        thousands of email addresses from places like yahoogroups, then send
        everyone an email saying how special we are that we were chosen to take part
        in money laundering or freeing up rebel funds. Greed.

        Good luck!

        Leah Dawn
        MentorGirls.org
        leahdawn@...
      • gsackmann
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2002
          Hi!

          I posted this to my net-happenings list this am:

          "This service, operated by the Government of the Federal Republic of
          Nigeria through the Nigeria High Commission in the United Kingdom, is
          dedicated to the tracking of advanced fee fraud perpetrated by
          Nigerian organized crime syndicates."

          Pierre Borochaults
          pierre@...

          <Gleason>