Re: [WWWEDU] Rant

  • Miguel Guhlin
    Message 1 of 21 , May 25, 2006
      I see this rant stuff a bit differently,although I sent all my letters
      in (including Moveon.org SAVE THE INTERNET) today, too. To me, Jeff
      sounds like a voice in the wilderness. More here:
      http://www.mguhlin.net/blog/archives/2006/05/entry_1555.htm

      While I can't necessarily offer an easy solution, I offer comfort that
      has worked for me. Maybe, changing the world is too big for us. Maybe,
      the expectation is that I change myself and let the world see what
      happens when one person is committed to transformation. Time and again,
      we've seen the power of transformation and divinity in a person's life.
      Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jesus, and others you may know.

      Each of us is called to be a leader, to unleash the power that is within
      us. Now, I don't want to quote what I wrote at the link above in its
      entirety, but here's a part that I really like from Edward Hays' book,
      "St. George and the Dragon and the Quest for the Holy Grail."

      Beginning a modern day quest for the Holy Grail (the Cup, not Mary
      Magdalene as portrayed in The Da Vinci Code, BTW <smile>), George
      encounters a dragon named Igor. The dragon and George have a long talk
      and eventually, George gets a ride back home on Igor's back. George
      shares his obversations that...

      From my position high on the dragon's back, I noticed that the
      dragon's body was covered with old wounds. WHenever the dragon
      breathed forth fire to light the path in front of us, I noticed that
      the wounds glowed golden-red in the dark. When I asked about them,
      the dragon replied, "Oh, my friend, I have been slain a thousand
      times, but I have always arisen again. THese old woulds are the
      source of my power and my insight. Our greatest and worst enemies
      are not the monsters who roam the forest or even wicked witches or
      evil wizards. No, it is our scars, our wounds, and old injuries that
      we must fear. As we journey through life we have all been
      injured--hurt by parents, brothers or sister, schoolmates,
      strangers, lovers, teachers. Each wound has the power to talk to us,
      you know. They speak, however, with crooked voices because of the scars.

      All of us have wounds--old ones and new ones--and whenever the
      monster appears, when hell breaks loose, we know that our old wounds
      are talking guiding us. It is these wounds that must be confronted
      (Hays, 1986).

      Like the dragon later told George, we must find a way to transform the
      power of the wounds, and not give weight to the voice of the times when
      we did our best and were rejected. The power to lead lies in the
      transformation of the crooked voices and the confrontation of the wounds.

      I disagree with Mark Ahlness' observation. Miguel Guhlin (that's me)
      isn't one of the new voices that replaces Ted Nellen or Jeff Cooper.
      Instead, I am just another middle-aged "George" trying to transform the
      wounds he's suffered, the wounds that are a part of living. I hope that
      Ted and Jeff will transform their wounds and rise again.

      Thanks,

      --
      Miguel Guhlin
      Email: mguhlin@...
      Message 2 of 21 , May 25, 2006
        Good evening, everyone. As I finally sit down, following a sixteen-hour day
        of the daily trivial pursuit that is often the job of a principal in a
        public school in NJ, I feel your pain...all of it.

        Recently, we began the process of completing annual reviews. As part of
        that process, I requested that staff members download, complete, and send back
        to me as a file a survey in order to assist me in this process.

        Of a staff of eighty, I had 15-20 who couldn't download an attachment,
        locate the directory it was in, if they had succeeded at step one, and were unable
        to attach a file, even with the gosh darned paper clip as a choice on the
        menu bar. (Where is the file?) Where does a person begin??

        A grievance ("we have never done this before") and several innane
        conversations with the very few staff members who think a mouse is a foot pedal later,
        and I squashed it. I directed a technological goal in all of their
        professional development plans for next year.

        As a second-year principal, having taken over for a technophobe, I feel like
        Sisyphus rolling the boulder up the mountain. To Ted, and anyone else who
        would despair I would offer the following:

        A dwarf on the shoulders of a giant sees the farther of the two...I think
        that fits here.

        Also, at least ONCE a day, I read the poem "If," by Rudyard Kipling. Using
        the computer just now, I did locate it in 4.5 seconds, copied and pasted it
        here in 2.4 seconds, and saved the several hours it would previously have
        taken me to go to the library, photocopy the poem, bring it home, and bang it out
        on my IBM Selectric. :-)

        That being said, we may lose a battle now and then; however, this is a war
        that we are going, inevitibly to win. After all, our students, within one
        generation, will be the principals, superintendents, and Board of Education
        members who will build the "highways." You are all the trailblazers, leaving, as
        Longfellow said, "footprints on the sands of time" for them to follow.

        If this is forwarded to you all, the text of "If" appears below. I read it
        at least once DAILY and it helps me to maintain that so fragile hold on my
        sanity...

        Keep the faith everyone. The whispers of this group, taken collectively in
        each of respective professions and locations, will become a roaring crowd
        when the voices are joined....

        _Rudyard Kipling_
        (http://www.everypoet.com/archive/poetry/Rudyard_Kipling/kipling_contents.htm)
        If

        If
        If you can keep your head when all about you
        Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
        If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
        But make allowance for their doubting too;
        If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
        Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
        Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
        And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;
        If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
        If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
        If you can meet with triumph and disaster
        And treat those two imposters just the same;
        If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
        Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
        Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
        And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;
        If you can make one heap of all your winnings
        And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
        And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breath a word about your loss;
        If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
        To serve your turn long after they are gone,
        And so hold on when there is nothing in you
        Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";
        If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
        Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
        If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
        If all men count with you, but none too much;
        If you can fill the unforgiving minute
        With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
        Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
        And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

      • John Thompson
        Message 3 of 21 , May 26, 2006
          Nice to see an administrator who is advocating/pushing tech. As a former
          principal and superintendent who "pushed" tech and what it can do to help
          educators, here's another quote you might want to consider.

          To act is to be committed, and to be committed is to be in danger. ~ James
          Baldwin.

          Stick to guns but keep them loaded and your back covered (and give your
          staff more training than you can afford because you cannot afford not to).
          :-)

          John T. Thompson, Ph.D.
          Assistant Professor & Coordinator
          Educational Computing Program
          Computer Information Systems Dept.
          Chase 208, Buffalo State College
          1300 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14222
          (716) 878-3531 thompsjt@...
          http://www.buffalostate.edu/depts/edcomputing/

          "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most
          intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
          ~ Charles Darwin

[...]

          WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
          http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Robert D. Sharp
          Message 4 of 21 , May 26, 2006
            On May 25, 2006, at 7:39 PM, TeacherBC@... wrote:

            > Good evening, everyone. As I finally sit down, following a
            > sixteen-hour day
            > of the daily trivial pursuit that is often the job of a principal
            > in a
            > public school in NJ, I feel your pain...all of it.

            [snip, great stuff but...]

            > Longfellow said, "footprints on the sands of time" for them to
            > follow.

            Often the other option is to sit down and as one of my fellow
            teachers once said, "Who wants to be known for butt prints in the
            sands of time?"

            > If this is forwarded to you all, the text of "If" appears below.
            > I read it
            > at least once DAILY and it helps me to maintain that so fragile
            > hold on my
            > sanity...

            I leave the link (without the parens) . Thank you.

            > Keep the faith everyone. The whispers of this group, taken
            > collectively in
            > each of respective professions and locations, will become a
            > roaring crowd
            > when the voices are joined....
            >

            > _Rudyard Kipling_
            > http://www.everypoet.com/archive/poetry/Rudyard_Kipling/
            > kipling_contents.htm

            You are in a position to lead but, PLEASE, don't just put the
            technology component into their evaluation goals for next year.
            Ensure they have additional leadership, resources and the help they
            need to succeed. I know all too well what happens when goals are
            placed in front of people and there is no support for attaining the
            goal. I don't know what technology support they have nor have had
            but a goal with out the proper support is a road block which becomes
            a whip at evaluation time. I doubt if you intend this but your
            description of the last principal sounds leads me to believe that
            technology has been a very low item on the support menu.

            Bob
            --
            It has been said before but warrants repeating, "If you think
            education is expensive, try ignorance."

            Bob Sharp
            6th Grade Science Teacher
            Past Middle School Representative to the NCCE Board
            Recipient of The First Annual Learning Space Achievement Awards for
            Members