Be a detective (was Re: [WWWEDU] Rant)

    Message 1 of 21 , May 23, 2006
      Hey folks.

      See if you can be the first first person who finds the answer to this
      question.

      Figure out which filtering software company whose product is used in many
      public schools is closely associated with (I would say "in bed, but we all
      know they don't do that) the American Family Association -- an arch
      conservative religious right group.

      Just to get you going, look at http://www.afa.net, scan down and click on
      AFA filter.

      Follow the appropriate links. See who finds out first and will win the
      wwwedu detective award.

      Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now available
      online at http://cyberbully.org.
    • dougj
      Message 2 of 21 , May 23, 2006
        Hi Jeff,

        Are you going to do something about these things or just rant?

        I will offer you the same challenge I offered the folks I read on the
        blogosphere:

        http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2006/5/11/doin-something
        -about-dopa.html

        "Here is my challenge to each of you serious, influential, and well-meaning
        people. Please serve as a positive example by:

        1. Letting everyone know what professional organization(s) you belong
        to which will provide organized lobbying against such legislation. I belong
        to MEMO at the state level and am the legislative chair. I belong to ALA and
        ISTE at the national level and serve on the board of ISTE.

        2. Sharing the sample letter you will be writing to your House
        representatives explaining why such legislation is wrong. I am guessing most
        of us faithful readers already are in your camp. I am working on mine
        tonight and will post it tomorrow.

        (Mine can now be found at:
        http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2006/5/12/dopa-oppositio
        n-letter.html)

        3. Passing along any other actions readers might take to actually
        influence this process.

        Jeff, I know this sounds mean, but I have to say it: rants are meant for
        one's spouse or cat, not for colleagues. As I tell my co-workers, I'm always
        happy to listen to your solutions, but I don't get paid to listen to your
        problems.

        I just hope you invest the same energy in writing your congressional
        representatives as you do this list. Join ALA and/or ISTE. Get active on a
        local level with state lobbying/information efforts.

        Yeah, I agree with every problem you list. Now lets all DO something about
        them.

        All the best,

        Doug

        Doug Johnson
        Director of Media and Technology
        Mankato Area Public Schools
        Box 8713, 1351 S Riverfront Dr.
        Mankato MN 56001-8714
        Phone: 507-387-7698 x 473
        E-mail: dougj@...
        Web: www.doug-johnson.com
        Blue Skunk Blog: http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/

        The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one
        that sings. Wendell Berry
      • Sharon Lawler
        Message 3 of 21 , May 23, 2006
          Answer: Bsafe Online

          On 5/23/06, Nancy Willard <nwillard@...> wrote:

          > Hey folks.
          > See if you can be the first first person who finds the answer to this
          > question. Figure out which filtering software company whose product is
          > used in many
          > public schools is closely associated with (I would say "in bed, but we all
          > know they don't do that) the American Family Association -- an arch
          > conservative religious right group.
          >
          > --
          > Sharon Lawler, Librarian
          > Randolph Elementary
          > Universal City TX 78148
          > 210-357-2353
          > smclawler@...

        • Taran Rampersad
          Message 4 of 21 , May 23, 2006
            Just two small additions.

            dougj wrote:
            > Hi Jeff,
            >
            > Are you going to do something about these things or just rant?
            >
            > I will offer you the same challenge I offered the folks I read on the
            > blogosphere:
            >
            > http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2006/5/11/doin-something
            > -about-dopa.html
            >
            > "Here is my challenge to each of you serious, influential, and well-meaning
            > people. Please serve as a positive example by:
            >
            > 1. Letting everyone know what professional organization(s) you belong
            > to which will provide organized lobbying against such legislation. I belong
            > to MEMO at the state level and am the legislative chair. I belong to ALA and
            > ISTE at the national level and serve on the board of ISTE.
            >
            > 2. Sharing the sample letter you will be writing to your House
            > representatives explaining why such legislation is wrong. I am guessing most
            > of us faithful readers already are in your camp. I am working on mine
            > tonight and will post it tomorrow.
            >
            > (Mine can now be found at:
            > http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2006/5/12/dopa-oppositio
            > n-letter.html)
            >
            > 3. Passing along any other actions readers might take to actually
            > influence this process.

            4. Rant.
            5. Laugh.

            Repeat as necessary.

            Now for the large addition.

            Step 1. assumes a level of trust in the organizations being written to.
            Step 2. assumes a level of trust in your 'House Representatives'.

            These steps are frequently bypassed by people who instead go to 3, 4,
            and 5. This shows a disconnect between the involved parties in steps 1
            and 2. In my opinion, the whole is greater than a few people at the top,
            and doing 1 and 2 first gets a response or lack of response based on the
            mood of the recipients, as well as what works in their interest (be that
            interest personal or professional).

            However, talking about the situation and coordinating 1. and 2. will
            demonstrate that the recipients interest is indeed your interest -
            that's what lobbyist groups do (and my, what a racket a few people or
            legal entities can make).

            I have found, though, that none of this is effective without step 5.
            When you laugh at people, they ask YOU why you are laughing and are more
            receptive to what you have to say. And if you get a LOT of people
            laughing with a particularly funny rant (humor IS based on reality), you
            get a lot more people laughing as more people spread the joke.

            Further, even if you fail, at least you got to laugh and most doctors
            will recommend that laughter is good medicine.

            Now - in this context, I would offer that the Parents (you know, those
            people who are genetically or legally linked to the children somehow)
            should be involved. Because to the groups you're talking to, generally,
            they don't take educators as seriously as they should. And that's
            perhaps the main problem with 1. and 2. So, get parents and anyone who
            could possibly be a parent (the people with zygotes who haven't met) and
            have them write in. You see, they'll listen to them. They have to.
            Because they have numbers, and the interest of these groups of which you
            write are interested in numbers. Only when they see a large foot of
            numbers about to stomp on them do they truly feel the need to start
            listening.

            Oh. And don't forget to laugh. A large group of laughing people is hard
            to ignore. Everyone wants to be in on the joke. :-)

            --
            Taran Rampersad
            Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

            Looking for contracts/work!
            http://www.knowprose.com/node/9786

            New!: http://www.OpenDepth.com
            http://www.knowprose.com
            http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/Taran

            Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/

            "Criticize by creating." — Michelangelo
            Message 5 of 21 , May 23, 2006
              Close, but keep digging. Bsafe Online provides home Internet services.

              Hint: Look under Partners Strategic. Click on what you find there. And when
              you get to this site, look under SOHO/Home and then click on the link that
              says <click here>.

              Nancy

              > Answer: Bsafe Online
              >
              > On 5/23/06, Nancy Willard <nwillard@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hey folks.
              >> See if you can be the first first person who finds the answer to this
              >> question. Figure out which filtering software company whose product is
              >> used in many
              >> public schools is closely associated with (I would say "in bed, but we all
              >> know they don't do that) the American Family Association -- an arch
              >> conservative religious right group.
              >>
              >> --
              >> Sharon Lawler, Librarian
              >> Randolph Elementary
              >> Universal City TX 78148
              >> 210-357-2353
              >> smclawler@...

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now available
              online at http://cyberbully.org
            • Steve Feld
              Message 6 of 21 , May 23, 2006
                The answer is http://www.gospelcom.net/

                Steve Feld
                Shroud of Turin <http://www.tqnyc.org/NYC063363>
                http://tinyurl.com/lp4e6

                Nancy Willard wrote:

                >Close, but keep digging. Bsafe Online provides home Internet services.
                >
                >Hint: Look under Partners Strategic. Click on what you find there. And when
                >you get to this site, look under SOHO/Home and then click on the link that
                >says <click here>.
                >
                >Nancy
                >

                >>Answer: Bsafe Online
                >>
                >>On 5/23/06, Nancy Willard <nwillard@...> wrote:
                >>

                >>>Hey folks.
                >>>See if you can be the first first person who finds the answer to this
                >>>question. Figure out which filtering software company whose product is
                >>>used in many
                >>>public schools is closely associated with (I would say "in bed, but we all
                >>>know they don't do that) the American Family Association -- an arch
                >>>conservative religious right group.
                >>>
                >>>--
                >>>Sharon Lawler, Librarian
                >>>Randolph Elementary
                >>>Universal City TX 78148
                >>>210-357-2353
                >>>smclawler@...

                >>WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
                >>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
                >>http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html
                >>
                >>Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Claude Almansi (BW)
                Message 7 of 21 , May 23, 2006
                  Nancy Willard wrote:
                  > Close, but keep digging. Bsafe Online provides home Internet services.
                  >
                  > Hint: Look under Partners Strategic. Click on what you find there. And when
                  > you get to this site, look under SOHO/Home and then click on the link that
                  > says <click here>.

                  H2K2?
                • tednellen
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 24, 2006
                    Jeff, i loved your preamble and then that which followed. much of it does
                    strike a cord and has been one of my private battles over the past dozen
                    years. at this sad point in time for me, i am finding i use less and less
                    tech to the point i am now teaching pre tech in my nyc school called
                    Information Technology HS. it was supposed to be the premier tech school
                    in nyc, but alas, for all the reasons your highlighted and a few more the
                    NYC tech team could come up with, tech is dead in NYC. I use dto rant an
                    drave and present and publish this for many years, but alas spitting in
                    the wind has gotten the best of me and i have resigned myself to the
                    demise of tech and substantial use of it in schools for the future because
                    of the reactionary attitude of punishment and prohibition over the more
                    intelligent choice of education of the user. as i have said before the
                    adults who lead dont get it and never will. i have beat my head against
                    this brick wall for too long, screamed and shouted till i'm hoarse,
                    demonstrated the success potential for too long. as i near my twilight
                    years, i am content to merely fade away on this topic as i see it getting
                    worse and worse. we had our heyday and i dont see it happening again.
                    camelot is dead and so it intelligent use of the tech in schools, IMHO.

                    i loved your rant, it reminded me of the type i'd hear from many wwweduers
                    over the years and many of their voices still resonate today or have been
                    extinguished and it only gets worse everyday, week, month, year.

                    I have my own opinions on the reasons, have stated them many times, and
                    i'm tired of hearing myself on this topic. i am so glad to hear another
                    voice.

                    good luck in your quixotic efforts, jeff.

                    ted

                    --

                    Ted Nellen 8-) http://www.tnellen.com/

                    "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
                    To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

                    Buckminster Fuller
                  • tednellen
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 24, 2006
                      gret advice, doug. i agree 100%. i have always advocated to teachers to
                      present as often as possible and at all the major conferences. did that
                      for many years. next publish as often as possible to get the word out and
                      show teachers what can be done. have done that for years. sontact as amny
                      politicians and policy makers as possible. have done that for many years.
                      get on as many tech committees as possible locally and nationally as
                      possible. have done that for many years. but it all came down to one thing
                      and that is the direction of education from the top and right now the top
                      is headless.

                      i like the proactive approach, doug and second your suggestions and
                      encourage proactive and activist behavior from all interested in fostering
                      correct educational use of the tech in our schools. good luck. you know
                      you have many on this list who have been in this battle for many years to
                      support you. i hope the newer teachers entering the profession or those
                      coming to tech understand the politics of tech in schools and take up the
                      keyboard in this important battle.

                      ted

                      --

                      Ted Nellen 8-) http://www.tnellen.com/

                      "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
                      To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

                      Buckminster Fuller
                    • Sue Maiers
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 24, 2006
                        I like your perspective!
                        During my 12+ years teaching Special Education we came to one clear
                        conclusion: if the parents, the child, the teachers, and the administrators
                        are all cool with what you're doing, who is there to complain? (I'm not
                        advocating breaking laws, just noting that vested stake-holders when all
                        kept in the loop don't tend to put up road blocks!)
                        Sue Maiers

> [...]

                        Because they have numbers, and the interest of these groups of which you
                        write are interested in numbers. Only when they see a large foot of
                        numbers about to stomp on them do they truly feel the need to start
                        listening.

                        Oh. And don't forget to laugh. A large group of laughing people is hard
                        to ignore. Everyone wants to be in on the joke. :-)

                        --
                        Taran Rampersad
                        Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago
                        cnd@...

                        Looking for contracts/work!
                        http://www.knowprose.com/node/9786

                        New!: http://www.OpenDepth.com
                        http://www.knowprose.com
                        http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/Taran

                        Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/

                        "Criticize by creating." - Michelangelo

                        WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group

                        believed to be clean.
                      • Mark Ahlness
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 24, 2006
                          Ted's response to Jeff's rant saddened me more than any email or blog
                          posting I can remember recently. When I hear the sound of resignation and
                          even defeat in a voice always so full of passion and pushing the envelope -
                          well, it breaks my heart. His reaction is not one of weakness, but is
                          testimony to the sheer muscle mass of the system that refuses to embrace and
                          LEAD with technology.

                          I've been working in the classroom, using technology with my kids, pushing,
                          pushing, for about as long as Ted, but I have always stood in awe of the
                          voice he put to his passion. I could just never do that. Now his passion is
                          fading, understandably, and I wonder about myself. How many battles can I
                          lose and still keep fighting? We'll see...

                          There are two things that give me hope right now.

                          1) the new medium of web 2.0. It's not just email lists that spread the word
                          anymore. We're looking at blogs, wikis, kids as authors, rss feeds, news
                          aggregators, podcasts, etc. There are so many more ways to influence people
                          and induce change.

                          2) the new voices, the Ted Nellens of web 2.0. I hope I don't offend here...
                          Anybody reading Miguel Guhlin, Wesley Fryer, or David Warlick knows what I'm
                          talking about. Anybody who cares about technology in education who does not
                          follow them regularly, needs to. They are using all the incredible new
                          tools at their disposal to get the word out, to spread the word in any way
                          they can. Evangelists they are. And they are even here on web 1.0 lists like
                          wwwedu. Heck, I even saw a post by Will Richardson on EdTech the other day.

                          So I have hope. And I hope to hear more from you, Ted. The fight is not
                          over, hang in there, we need you. - Mark

                          Mark Ahlness
                          mahlness@...
                          http://ahlness.com
                          http://roomtwelve.com
                          http://arborheights.com
                          http://earthdaybags.org

                          --

                          Ted Nellen 8-) http://www.tnellen.com/

                          "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
                          To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model
                          obsolete."

                          Buckminster Fuller

                          WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
                          http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

                          Home school education
                          High school education Chicago school education Middle school
                          education

                          Service.

                        • Jeff Cooper
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 25, 2006
                            Doug Johnson challenged me to "do something." Ted Nellen echoes my
                            rant with his own feelings of despair within a system that feeds
                            despair rather than supporting its educators. Quoting from Ted's
                            signature:
                            "You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change
                            something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."
                            -- Buckminster Fuller

                            The trouble is the status quo model within education resists change so
                            severely that educators such as Nellen and myself find ourselves
                            reduced to ranting. My credentials are nowhere near as impressive as
                            Ted's in my efforts to change the system. I became a teacher because
                            'school sucks' over 15 years ago. It sucks worse today and yet I
                            still persevere with my efforts to do something.

                            I've been trying to work with my own school district (where my three
                            children attend schools) to help transform curriculum through tech.
                            The district uses tech almost exclusively for high stakes testing and
                            for proprietary software such as Plato (which bores the kids to
                            death). They've resisted my efforts not so much because I am right,
                            but because my correctness means that they can't continue to ignore
                            issues they'd rather not face. They put enormous efforts into raising
                            test scores because this is what NCLB expects of them. Indeed, the
                            local high school has raised scores from 33 to the high 60s in just a
                            couple of years and been singled out as an exemplary school by the
                            state. How did they do this?

                            One way was a very concerted effort by the principal to do just that.
                            Almost all efforts go into raising scores in Math and English, with
                            extra tutoring etc. given as necessary. This is ok as far as it goes,
                            but doesn't go far in improving pedagogy or student motivation to
                            learn (and virtually all students I've spoken with complain of being
                            bored to death). But still, this is an amazing accomplishment, to
                            raise scores so dramatically. This is until you notice the fact that
                            at the same time those scores improved, the local feeder middle school
                            implemented a program where 8th graders who do not pass an exit exam
                            are refused passage into 9th grade, and must remain in 8th until they
                            pass the test or (eventually) drop out. Raising test scores by
                            eliminating the poorest students seems a rather transparent solution,
                            but no one questions or challenges it.

                            I continue to plug away, supporting educators and students daily,
                            mostly at <a href="http://www.tappedin.org">Tapped In</a> where I
                            volunteer on Helpdesk. Sure, I post on a number of listservs, manage
                            a few, and also volunteer at my daughter's school at least once a
                            week, where I know that my efforts don't fall on deaf ears, since her
                            teacher is very responsive to my help. So... using the vernacular so
                            popular today, I say to Doug "bite me" and continue to do what I do.
                            My decision to rant here is not so much a parting shot that I have
                            given up and decided to sell real estate or insurance, although it
                            certainly seems that more and more educators take this route. Instead
                            it is just what it was... a rant... a scream in the darkness. Right
                            now it's one of the few things that keep me going, and the knowledge
                            that my words echoed with Ted and others reassures me that yes I have
                            made the right career choice. Maybe if I bang my head against the
                            wall long enough I'll create a hole in it and then there will be a
                            chance for a window... or a door.

                            Regards,

                            Jeff Cooper
                            jbcoops@...
                          • Trevor Shaw
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 25, 2006
                              I too am very sad to read Ted's post. I have read his stuff with admiration for many years. I can only hope that the "rant" caught him on a bad day.

                              Ted, I can remember feeling much the same way to the point where I was giving some presentations at some ed tech conferences and my cynicism and frustration began to bleed into my presentations. I got a lot of negative feedback, and I'm sure there are a couple of conferences that I won't be invited back to.

                              Changing schools has helped me re-invigorate myself, however. I am now in a place where I have exciting, daily conversations with teachers about innovative uses of technology that push the educational envelope. I suggest that you look into the independent school market. There are literally tons (tens?) of high quality independent schools in the NYC area. You mention the twilight of your career, and many independent schools are eager to hire well seasoned teachers who have just retired from high quality public schools and still have a passion about teaching. I have some experience on both sides of the public / private school fence, and I have found the independent school market to be one that embraces people who are forward thinkers and innovators.

                              This, of course, does nothing to address the needs of kids in the NYC school system. For that, I'm afraid I don't have a solution.

                              Regards,
                              Trevor

                              Trevor Shaw
                              Director of Academic Technology
                              Dwight-Englewood School
                              315 E. Palisade Ave. 07631
                              v. (201) 569-9500 ext 3244
                              f. (201) 569-1688
                              http://www.d-e.org

                              >>> mahlness@... 5/24/2006 10:01 PM >>>

                              --

                              Ted Nellen 8-) http://www.tnellen.com/

                              "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
                              To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model
                              obsolete."

                              Buckminster Fuller

                              WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
                              http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

                              Home school education
                              High school education Chicago school education Middle school
                              education

                              Service.

                              WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
                              http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • Greene, Dr. Patrick
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 25, 2006
                                From Jeff Cooper
                                Maybe if I bang my head against the wall long enough I'll create a hole in it and then there will be a chance for a window... or a door.

                                Exactly, Jeff. Ted is a bit down right now, because he had high hopes for new education in his part of NYC. Those hopes were dashed, but Ted will very soon pick himself back up and get back into the battle like he has always done.

                                I heard Chris Dede once say, "If you need your fellow teachers and administrators to love you, then you are not going to be innovative enough to create the great technology infused classroom (I paraphrase)", and also "If you are afraid of pissing someone off, then you are not going to be doing the experimental work required." Remember - No Good Dead Ever Goes Unpunished. We all have to develop self-esteem within because it may be that no one else will appreciate what we're doing. So what! There is nothing wrong with putting your heart into something that you know is right but everyone else denegrates. Sooner or later a hole will appear, or maybe that will be for the next generation. Just keep on keeping on (as we used to say in the 60s).

                                Patrick J Greene, PhD
                                FGCU
                                pgreene@...

                              • Miguel Guhlin
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 25, 2006
                                  I see this rant stuff a bit differently,although I sent all my letters
                                  in (including Moveon.org SAVE THE INTERNET) today, too. To me, Jeff
                                  sounds like a voice in the wilderness. More here:
                                  http://www.mguhlin.net/blog/archives/2006/05/entry_1555.htm

                                  While I can't necessarily offer an easy solution, I offer comfort that
                                  has worked for me. Maybe, changing the world is too big for us. Maybe,
                                  the expectation is that I change myself and let the world see what
                                  happens when one person is committed to transformation. Time and again,
                                  we've seen the power of transformation and divinity in a person's life.
                                  Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jesus, and others you may know.

                                  Each of us is called to be a leader, to unleash the power that is within
                                  us. Now, I don't want to quote what I wrote at the link above in its
                                  entirety, but here's a part that I really like from Edward Hays' book,
                                  "St. George and the Dragon and the Quest for the Holy Grail."

                                  Beginning a modern day quest for the Holy Grail (the Cup, not Mary
                                  Magdalene as portrayed in The Da Vinci Code, BTW <smile>), George
                                  encounters a dragon named Igor. The dragon and George have a long talk
                                  and eventually, George gets a ride back home on Igor's back. George
                                  shares his obversations that...

                                  From my position high on the dragon's back, I noticed that the
                                  dragon's body was covered with old wounds. WHenever the dragon
                                  breathed forth fire to light the path in front of us, I noticed that
                                  the wounds glowed golden-red in the dark. When I asked about them,
                                  the dragon replied, "Oh, my friend, I have been slain a thousand
                                  times, but I have always arisen again. THese old woulds are the
                                  source of my power and my insight. Our greatest and worst enemies
                                  are not the monsters who roam the forest or even wicked witches or
                                  evil wizards. No, it is our scars, our wounds, and old injuries that
                                  we must fear. As we journey through life we have all been
                                  injured--hurt by parents, brothers or sister, schoolmates,
                                  strangers, lovers, teachers. Each wound has the power to talk to us,
                                  you know. They speak, however, with crooked voices because of the scars.

                                  All of us have wounds--old ones and new ones--and whenever the
                                  monster appears, when hell breaks loose, we know that our old wounds
                                  are talking guiding us. It is these wounds that must be confronted
                                  (Hays, 1986).

                                  Like the dragon later told George, we must find a way to transform the
                                  power of the wounds, and not give weight to the voice of the times when
                                  we did our best and were rejected. The power to lead lies in the
                                  transformation of the crooked voices and the confrontation of the wounds.

                                  I disagree with Mark Ahlness' observation. Miguel Guhlin (that's me)
                                  isn't one of the new voices that replaces Ted Nellen or Jeff Cooper.
                                  Instead, I am just another middle-aged "George" trying to transform the
                                  wounds he's suffered, the wounds that are a part of living. I hope that
                                  Ted and Jeff will transform their wounds and rise again.

                                  Thanks,

                                  --
                                  Miguel Guhlin
                                  Email: mguhlin@...
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 25, 2006
                                    Good evening, everyone. As I finally sit down, following a sixteen-hour day
                                    of the daily trivial pursuit that is often the job of a principal in a
                                    public school in NJ, I feel your pain...all of it.

                                    Recently, we began the process of completing annual reviews. As part of
                                    that process, I requested that staff members download, complete, and send back
                                    to me as a file a survey in order to assist me in this process.

                                    Of a staff of eighty, I had 15-20 who couldn't download an attachment,
                                    locate the directory it was in, if they had succeeded at step one, and were unable
                                    to attach a file, even with the gosh darned paper clip as a choice on the
                                    menu bar. (Where is the file?) Where does a person begin??

                                    A grievance ("we have never done this before") and several innane
                                    conversations with the very few staff members who think a mouse is a foot pedal later,
                                    and I squashed it. I directed a technological goal in all of their
                                    professional development plans for next year.

                                    As a second-year principal, having taken over for a technophobe, I feel like
                                    Sisyphus rolling the boulder up the mountain. To Ted, and anyone else who
                                    would despair I would offer the following:

                                    A dwarf on the shoulders of a giant sees the farther of the two...I think
                                    that fits here.

                                    Also, at least ONCE a day, I read the poem "If," by Rudyard Kipling. Using
                                    the computer just now, I did locate it in 4.5 seconds, copied and pasted it
                                    here in 2.4 seconds, and saved the several hours it would previously have
                                    taken me to go to the library, photocopy the poem, bring it home, and bang it out
                                    on my IBM Selectric. :-)

                                    That being said, we may lose a battle now and then; however, this is a war
                                    that we are going, inevitibly to win. After all, our students, within one
                                    generation, will be the principals, superintendents, and Board of Education
                                    members who will build the "highways." You are all the trailblazers, leaving, as
                                    Longfellow said, "footprints on the sands of time" for them to follow.

                                    If this is forwarded to you all, the text of "If" appears below. I read it
                                    at least once DAILY and it helps me to maintain that so fragile hold on my
                                    sanity...

                                    Keep the faith everyone. The whispers of this group, taken collectively in
                                    each of respective professions and locations, will become a roaring crowd
                                    when the voices are joined....

                                    _Rudyard Kipling_
                                    (http://www.everypoet.com/archive/poetry/Rudyard_Kipling/kipling_contents.htm)
                                    If

                                    If
                                    If you can keep your head when all about you
                                    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
                                    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
                                    But make allowance for their doubting too;
                                    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
                                    Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
                                    Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
                                    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;
                                    If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
                                    If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
                                    If you can meet with triumph and disaster
                                    And treat those two imposters just the same;
                                    If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
                                    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
                                    Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
                                    And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;
                                    If you can make one heap of all your winnings
                                    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
                                    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                    And never breath a word about your loss;
                                    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
                                    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
                                    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
                                    Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";
                                    If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
                                    Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
                                    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
                                    If all men count with you, but none too much;
                                    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
                                    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
                                    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
                                    And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

                                  • John Thompson
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 26, 2006
                                      Nice to see an administrator who is advocating/pushing tech. As a former
                                      principal and superintendent who "pushed" tech and what it can do to help
                                      educators, here's another quote you might want to consider.

                                      To act is to be committed, and to be committed is to be in danger. ~ James
                                      Baldwin.

                                      Stick to guns but keep them loaded and your back covered (and give your
                                      staff more training than you can afford because you cannot afford not to).
                                      :-)

                                      John T. Thompson, Ph.D.
                                      Assistant Professor & Coordinator
                                      Educational Computing Program
                                      Computer Information Systems Dept.
                                      Chase 208, Buffalo State College
                                      1300 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14222
                                      (716) 878-3531 thompsjt@...
                                      http://www.buffalostate.edu/depts/edcomputing/

                                      "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most
                                      intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
                                      ~ Charles Darwin

                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 26, 2006
                                        On May 25, 2006, at 7:39 PM, TeacherBC@... wrote:

                                        > Good evening, everyone. As I finally sit down, following a
                                        > sixteen-hour day
                                        > of the daily trivial pursuit that is often the job of a principal
                                        > in a
                                        > public school in NJ, I feel your pain...all of it.

                                        [snip, great stuff but...]

                                        > Longfellow said, "footprints on the sands of time" for them to
                                        > follow.

                                        Often the other option is to sit down and as one of my fellow
                                        teachers once said, "Who wants to be known for butt prints in the
                                        sands of time?"

                                        > If this is forwarded to you all, the text of "If" appears below.
                                        > I read it
                                        > at least once DAILY and it helps me to maintain that so fragile
                                        > hold on my
                                        > sanity...

                                        I leave the link (without the parens) . Thank you.

                                        > Keep the faith everyone. The whispers of this group, taken
                                        > collectively in
                                        > each of respective professions and locations, will become a
                                        > roaring crowd
                                        > when the voices are joined....
                                        >

                                        > _Rudyard Kipling_
                                        > http://www.everypoet.com/archive/poetry/Rudyard_Kipling/
                                        > kipling_contents.htm

                                        You are in a position to lead but, PLEASE, don't just put the
                                        technology component into their evaluation goals for next year.
                                        Ensure they have additional leadership, resources and the help they
                                        need to succeed. I know all too well what happens when goals are
                                        placed in front of people and there is no support for attaining the
                                        goal. I don't know what technology support they have nor have had
                                        but a goal with out the proper support is a road block which becomes
                                        a whip at evaluation time. I doubt if you intend this but your
                                        description of the last principal sounds leads me to believe that
                                        technology has been a very low item on the support menu.

                                        Bob
                                        --
                                        It has been said before but warrants repeating, "If you think
                                        education is expensive, try ignorance."

                                        Bob Sharp
                                        6th Grade Science Teacher
                                        Past Middle School Representative to the NCCE Board
                                        Recipient of The First Annual Learning Space Achievement Awards for
                                        Members