Rant

  • Jeff Cooper
    Message 1 of 21 , May 23 7:00 AM
      The following rant shakes and rambles the status quo and is filled
      with many generalizations. I'm painting with a broad brush here for
      possible further discourse. If any of these issues hit home with you,
      we can continue the dialogue, if not, then drop it!

      The reactionary "State of Filtering" in K-12 schools completely appals
      me. Someone has an inappropriate blog? Ban all blogs. MySp@ce
      exists? Ban anything and everything with the word in it, and oh,
      let's actually make illegal any website based upon community. Playboy
      exists? Ban all magazines. The list goes on and on and no one seems
      to care that all of these actions do not truly protect our kids, but
      completely erode freedom of speech, not to mention putting a huge
      damper on using the Net for educational purposes.

      If our country were truly serious about protecting kids, we would have
      created .sex and .xxx domains rather than dump the idea a month ago.
      The religious right controls many of the filtering software companies
      and uses its power to further its own religious agenda rather than
      truly making the Net a safer place for all. Trying to keep students
      from "seeing anything and everything bad" means filtering much that is
      good. Of course, our country and mainstream media loves to vilify the
      Net and paint it as a place wholly inhabited by predators. Dateline
      has done 10 of the same "to catch a predator" shows, but has yet to
      show any positive ways for students or parents to act online. Indeed,
      have you *ever* seen a mainstream media show that shows anything
      positive about the Internet?

      We've allowed what happens in schools to become so politicized through
      NCLB that educators have their hands completely tied as far as what
      best practices they may employ. Why doesn't the NEA and ACLU file a
      lawsuit eliminating filters? Indeed, why isn't there a filtering
      system that operates in the opposite way? Namely, if a site contains
      inappropriate material a button is clicked and that site becomes noted
      as suspect and then reviewed to ban? Of course this will never happen
      because it means some kid somewhere might see something bad.

      I think the negativist view of the Net coupled with the appalling lack
      of support for educators means that very few use the Net with their
      classes. I'd be amazed if more than 10% of educators nationwide
      integrate the Net into any of their classes even once a year. Pew, do
      you have a report on this? The chilling effect freezes the Net.

      OK... that's pretty much enough of a rant for now. I think I'll go
      back to bed for a few.

      Regards,

      Jeff Cooper
    • BBracey@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , May 23 7:34 AM
        Thank you for your thoughts . In America, we tend to sweep things under the
        rug and then get upset when someone pulls the rug aside and discovers things
        they don't want to deal with.

        When I was in the classroom there was a set of old readers digests that I
        used to keep to share with parents and the class all of the negative things that
        people wrote about radio and television. The forecasts of gloom and doom.

        The most interesting experience i have had professionally was to be on the
        NIIAC. The businessmen were there to promote, protect and push their
        understanding of technology and I was there as the only K 12 educator. I felt as if I was
        in a three dimensional game of chess, because I had to go to all of the
        meetings since most everything impacted schools. The knowledge of the real
        classroom, and of real children is completely divorced from most of the people making
        our major decisions and so we
        have to rant, speak up, get advocacy groups , or wait a bunch of years to see
        if things will level out.

        I am saddened to see that reporters are still talking about the thing, the
        machine, the wires or wireless and not the process of delivery or even media
        awareness. Like Nancy I have lots of ideas, but the decision ball is not in our
        court. Even our unions have been made somewhat out of the picture and so we
        get what we get. Pretty sad.

        Bonnie Bracey Sutton

        bbracey at aol com
        bonniebracey at yahoo com

      • Taran Rampersad
        Message 3 of 21 , May 23 7:48 AM
          Hallelujah!

          --
          Taran Rampersad
          Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

          Looking for contracts/work!
          http://www.knowprose.com/node/9786

          New!: http://www.OpenDepth.com
          http://www.knowprose.com
          http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/Taran

          Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/

          "Criticize by creating." — Michelangelo
          Message 4 of 21 , May 23 8:34 AM
            Hey folks.

            See if you can be the first first person who finds the answer to this
            question.

            Figure out which filtering software company whose product is used in many
            public schools is closely associated with (I would say "in bed, but we all
            know they don't do that) the American Family Association -- an arch
            conservative religious right group.

            Just to get you going, look at http://www.afa.net, scan down and click on
            AFA filter.

            Follow the appropriate links. See who finds out first and will win the
            wwwedu detective award.

            Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now available
            online at http://cyberbully.org.
          • dougj
            Message 5 of 21 , May 23 9:13 AM
              Hi Jeff,

              Are you going to do something about these things or just rant?

              I will offer you the same challenge I offered the folks I read on the
              blogosphere:

              http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2006/5/11/doin-something
              -about-dopa.html

              "Here is my challenge to each of you serious, influential, and well-meaning
              people. Please serve as a positive example by:

              1. Letting everyone know what professional organization(s) you belong
              to which will provide organized lobbying against such legislation. I belong
              to MEMO at the state level and am the legislative chair. I belong to ALA and
              ISTE at the national level and serve on the board of ISTE.

              2. Sharing the sample letter you will be writing to your House
              representatives explaining why such legislation is wrong. I am guessing most
              of us faithful readers already are in your camp. I am working on mine
              tonight and will post it tomorrow.

              (Mine can now be found at:
              http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2006/5/12/dopa-oppositio
              n-letter.html)

              3. Passing along any other actions readers might take to actually
              influence this process.

              Jeff, I know this sounds mean, but I have to say it: rants are meant for
              one's spouse or cat, not for colleagues. As I tell my co-workers, I'm always
              happy to listen to your solutions, but I don't get paid to listen to your
              problems.

              I just hope you invest the same energy in writing your congressional
              representatives as you do this list. Join ALA and/or ISTE. Get active on a
              local level with state lobbying/information efforts.

              Yeah, I agree with every problem you list. Now lets all DO something about
              them.

              All the best,

              Doug

              Doug Johnson
              Director of Media and Technology
              Mankato Area Public Schools
              Box 8713, 1351 S Riverfront Dr.
              Mankato MN 56001-8714
              Phone: 507-387-7698 x 473
              E-mail: dougj@...
              Web: www.doug-johnson.com
              Blue Skunk Blog: http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/

              The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one
              that sings. Wendell Berry
            • Sharon Lawler
              Message 6 of 21 , May 23 12:49 PM
                Answer: Bsafe Online

                On 5/23/06, Nancy Willard <nwillard@...> wrote:

                > Hey folks.
                > See if you can be the first first person who finds the answer to this
                > question. Figure out which filtering software company whose product is
                > used in many
                > public schools is closely associated with (I would say "in bed, but we all
                > know they don't do that) the American Family Association -- an arch
                > conservative religious right group.
                >
                > --
                > Sharon Lawler, Librarian
                > Randolph Elementary
                > Universal City TX 78148
                > 210-357-2353
                > smclawler@...

              • Taran Rampersad
                Message 7 of 21 , May 23 1:18 PM
                  Just two small additions.

                  dougj wrote:
                  > Hi Jeff,
                  >
                  > Are you going to do something about these things or just rant?
                  >
                  > I will offer you the same challenge I offered the folks I read on the
                  > blogosphere:
                  >
                  > http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2006/5/11/doin-something
                  > -about-dopa.html
                  >
                  > "Here is my challenge to each of you serious, influential, and well-meaning
                  > people. Please serve as a positive example by:
                  >
                  > 1. Letting everyone know what professional organization(s) you belong
                  > to which will provide organized lobbying against such legislation. I belong
                  > to MEMO at the state level and am the legislative chair. I belong to ALA and
                  > ISTE at the national level and serve on the board of ISTE.
                  >
                  > 2. Sharing the sample letter you will be writing to your House
                  > representatives explaining why such legislation is wrong. I am guessing most
                  > of us faithful readers already are in your camp. I am working on mine
                  > tonight and will post it tomorrow.
                  >
                  > (Mine can now be found at:
                  > http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2006/5/12/dopa-oppositio
                  > n-letter.html)
                  >
                  > 3. Passing along any other actions readers might take to actually
                  > influence this process.

                  4. Rant.
                  5. Laugh.

                  Repeat as necessary.

                  Now for the large addition.

                  Step 1. assumes a level of trust in the organizations being written to.
                  Step 2. assumes a level of trust in your 'House Representatives'.

                  These steps are frequently bypassed by people who instead go to 3, 4,
                  and 5. This shows a disconnect between the involved parties in steps 1
                  and 2. In my opinion, the whole is greater than a few people at the top,
                  and doing 1 and 2 first gets a response or lack of response based on the
                  mood of the recipients, as well as what works in their interest (be that
                  interest personal or professional).

                  However, talking about the situation and coordinating 1. and 2. will
                  demonstrate that the recipients interest is indeed your interest -
                  that's what lobbyist groups do (and my, what a racket a few people or
                  legal entities can make).

                  I have found, though, that none of this is effective without step 5.
                  When you laugh at people, they ask YOU why you are laughing and are more
                  receptive to what you have to say. And if you get a LOT of people
                  laughing with a particularly funny rant (humor IS based on reality), you
                  get a lot more people laughing as more people spread the joke.

                  Further, even if you fail, at least you got to laugh and most doctors
                  will recommend that laughter is good medicine.

                  Now - in this context, I would offer that the Parents (you know, those
                  people who are genetically or legally linked to the children somehow)
                  should be involved. Because to the groups you're talking to, generally,
                  they don't take educators as seriously as they should. And that's
                  perhaps the main problem with 1. and 2. So, get parents and anyone who
                  could possibly be a parent (the people with zygotes who haven't met) and
                  have them write in. You see, they'll listen to them. They have to.
                  Because they have numbers, and the interest of these groups of which you
                  write are interested in numbers. Only when they see a large foot of
                  numbers about to stomp on them do they truly feel the need to start
                  listening.

                  Oh. And don't forget to laugh. A large group of laughing people is hard
                  to ignore. Everyone wants to be in on the joke. :-)

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 23 3:10 PM
                    Close, but keep digging. Bsafe Online provides home Internet services.

                    Hint: Look under Partners Strategic. Click on what you find there. And when
                    you get to this site, look under SOHO/Home and then click on the link that
                    says <click here>.

                    Nancy

                    > Answer: Bsafe Online
                    >
                    > On 5/23/06, Nancy Willard <nwillard@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Hey folks.
                    >> See if you can be the first first person who finds the answer to this
                    >> question. Figure out which filtering software company whose product is
                    >> used in many
                    >> public schools is closely associated with (I would say "in bed, but we all
                    >> know they don't do that) the American Family Association -- an arch
                    >> conservative religious right group.
                    >>
                    >> --
                    >> Sharon Lawler, Librarian
                    >> Randolph Elementary
                    >> Universal City TX 78148
                    >> 210-357-2353
                    >> smclawler@...

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Cruelty, Threats, and Distress, a resource for educators, is now available
                    online at http://cyberbully.org
                  • Steve Feld
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 23 4:27 PM
                      The answer is http://www.gospelcom.net/

                      Steve Feld
                      Shroud of Turin <http://www.tqnyc.org/NYC063363>
                      http://tinyurl.com/lp4e6

                      Nancy Willard wrote:

                      >Close, but keep digging. Bsafe Online provides home Internet services.
                      >
                      >Hint: Look under Partners Strategic. Click on what you find there. And when
                      >you get to this site, look under SOHO/Home and then click on the link that
                      >says <click here>.
                      >
                      >Nancy
                      >

                      >>Answer: Bsafe Online
                      >>
                      >>On 5/23/06, Nancy Willard <nwillard@...> wrote:
                      >>

                      >>>Hey folks.
                      >>>See if you can be the first first person who finds the answer to this
                      >>>question. Figure out which filtering software company whose product is
                      >>>used in many
                      >>>public schools is closely associated with (I would say "in bed, but we all
                      >>>know they don't do that) the American Family Association -- an arch
                      >>>conservative religious right group.
                      >>>
                      >>>--
                      >>>Sharon Lawler, Librarian
                      >>>Randolph Elementary
                      >>>Universal City TX 78148
                      >>>210-357-2353
                      >>>smclawler@...

                      >>WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
                      >>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
                      >>http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html
                      >>
                      >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Claude Almansi (BW)
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 23 5:34 PM
                        Nancy Willard wrote:
                        > Close, but keep digging. Bsafe Online provides home Internet services.
                        >
                        > Hint: Look under Partners Strategic. Click on what you find there. And when
                        > you get to this site, look under SOHO/Home and then click on the link that
                        > says <click here>.

                        H2K2?
                      • tednellen
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 24 2:01 AM
                          Jeff, i loved your preamble and then that which followed. much of it does
                          strike a cord and has been one of my private battles over the past dozen
                          years. at this sad point in time for me, i am finding i use less and less
                          tech to the point i am now teaching pre tech in my nyc school called
                          Information Technology HS. it was supposed to be the premier tech school
                          in nyc, but alas, for all the reasons your highlighted and a few more the
                          NYC tech team could come up with, tech is dead in NYC. I use dto rant an
                          drave and present and publish this for many years, but alas spitting in
                          the wind has gotten the best of me and i have resigned myself to the
                          demise of tech and substantial use of it in schools for the future because
                          of the reactionary attitude of punishment and prohibition over the more
                          intelligent choice of education of the user. as i have said before the
                          adults who lead dont get it and never will. i have beat my head against
                          this brick wall for too long, screamed and shouted till i'm hoarse,
                          demonstrated the success potential for too long. as i near my twilight
                          years, i am content to merely fade away on this topic as i see it getting
                          worse and worse. we had our heyday and i dont see it happening again.
                          camelot is dead and so it intelligent use of the tech in schools, IMHO.

                          i loved your rant, it reminded me of the type i'd hear from many wwweduers
                          over the years and many of their voices still resonate today or have been
                          extinguished and it only gets worse everyday, week, month, year.

                          I have my own opinions on the reasons, have stated them many times, and
                          i'm tired of hearing myself on this topic. i am so glad to hear another
                          voice.

                          good luck in your quixotic efforts, jeff.

                          ted

                          --

                          Ted Nellen 8-) http://www.tnellen.com/

                          "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
                          To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

                          Buckminster Fuller
                        • tednellen
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 24 2:07 AM
                            gret advice, doug. i agree 100%. i have always advocated to teachers to
                            present as often as possible and at all the major conferences. did that
                            for many years. next publish as often as possible to get the word out and
                            show teachers what can be done. have done that for years. sontact as amny
                            politicians and policy makers as possible. have done that for many years.
                            get on as many tech committees as possible locally and nationally as
                            possible. have done that for many years. but it all came down to one thing
                            and that is the direction of education from the top and right now the top
                            is headless.

                            i like the proactive approach, doug and second your suggestions and
                            encourage proactive and activist behavior from all interested in fostering
                            correct educational use of the tech in our schools. good luck. you know
                            you have many on this list who have been in this battle for many years to
                            support you. i hope the newer teachers entering the profession or those
                            coming to tech understand the politics of tech in schools and take up the
                            keyboard in this important battle.

                            ted

                            --

                            Ted Nellen 8-) http://www.tnellen.com/

                            "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
                            To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

                            Buckminster Fuller
                          • Sue Maiers
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 24 8:03 AM
                              I like your perspective!
                              During my 12+ years teaching Special Education we came to one clear
                              conclusion: if the parents, the child, the teachers, and the administrators
                              are all cool with what you're doing, who is there to complain? (I'm not
                              advocating breaking laws, just noting that vested stake-holders when all
                              kept in the loop don't tend to put up road blocks!)
                              Sue Maiers

> [...]

                              Because they have numbers, and the interest of these groups of which you
                              write are interested in numbers. Only when they see a large foot of
                              numbers about to stomp on them do they truly feel the need to start
                              listening.

                              Oh. And don't forget to laugh. A large group of laughing people is hard
                              to ignore. Everyone wants to be in on the joke. :-)

                              --
                              Taran Rampersad
                              Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago
                              cnd@...

                              Looking for contracts/work!
                              http://www.knowprose.com/node/9786

                              New!: http://www.OpenDepth.com
                              http://www.knowprose.com
                              http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/Taran

                              Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/

                              "Criticize by creating." - Michelangelo

                              WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group

                              believed to be clean.
                            • Mark Ahlness
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 24 7:01 PM
                                Ted's response to Jeff's rant saddened me more than any email or blog
                                posting I can remember recently. When I hear the sound of resignation and
                                even defeat in a voice always so full of passion and pushing the envelope -
                                well, it breaks my heart. His reaction is not one of weakness, but is
                                testimony to the sheer muscle mass of the system that refuses to embrace and
                                LEAD with technology.

                                I've been working in the classroom, using technology with my kids, pushing,
                                pushing, for about as long as Ted, but I have always stood in awe of the
                                voice he put to his passion. I could just never do that. Now his passion is
                                fading, understandably, and I wonder about myself. How many battles can I
                                lose and still keep fighting? We'll see...

                                There are two things that give me hope right now.

                                1) the new medium of web 2.0. It's not just email lists that spread the word
                                anymore. We're looking at blogs, wikis, kids as authors, rss feeds, news
                                aggregators, podcasts, etc. There are so many more ways to influence people
                                and induce change.

                                2) the new voices, the Ted Nellens of web 2.0. I hope I don't offend here...
                                Anybody reading Miguel Guhlin, Wesley Fryer, or David Warlick knows what I'm
                                talking about. Anybody who cares about technology in education who does not
                                follow them regularly, needs to. They are using all the incredible new
                                tools at their disposal to get the word out, to spread the word in any way
                                they can. Evangelists they are. And they are even here on web 1.0 lists like
                                wwwedu. Heck, I even saw a post by Will Richardson on EdTech the other day.

                                So I have hope. And I hope to hear more from you, Ted. The fight is not
                                over, hang in there, we need you. - Mark

                                Mark Ahlness
                                mahlness@...
                                http://ahlness.com
                                http://roomtwelve.com
                                http://arborheights.com
                                http://earthdaybags.org

                                --

                                Ted Nellen 8-) http://www.tnellen.com/

                                "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
                                To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model
                                obsolete."

                                Buckminster Fuller

                                WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
                                http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

                                Home school education
                                High school education Chicago school education Middle school
                                education

                                Service.

                              • Jeff Cooper
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 25 7:38 AM
                                  Doug Johnson challenged me to "do something." Ted Nellen echoes my
                                  rant with his own feelings of despair within a system that feeds
                                  despair rather than supporting its educators. Quoting from Ted's
                                  signature:
                                  "You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change
                                  something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."
                                  -- Buckminster Fuller

                                  The trouble is the status quo model within education resists change so
                                  severely that educators such as Nellen and myself find ourselves
                                  reduced to ranting. My credentials are nowhere near as impressive as
                                  Ted's in my efforts to change the system. I became a teacher because
                                  'school sucks' over 15 years ago. It sucks worse today and yet I
                                  still persevere with my efforts to do something.

                                  I've been trying to work with my own school district (where my three
                                  children attend schools) to help transform curriculum through tech.
                                  The district uses tech almost exclusively for high stakes testing and
                                  for proprietary software such as Plato (which bores the kids to
                                  death). They've resisted my efforts not so much because I am right,
                                  but because my correctness means that they can't continue to ignore
                                  issues they'd rather not face. They put enormous efforts into raising
                                  test scores because this is what NCLB expects of them. Indeed, the
                                  local high school has raised scores from 33 to the high 60s in just a
                                  couple of years and been singled out as an exemplary school by the
                                  state. How did they do this?

                                  One way was a very concerted effort by the principal to do just that.
                                  Almost all efforts go into raising scores in Math and English, with
                                  extra tutoring etc. given as necessary. This is ok as far as it goes,
                                  but doesn't go far in improving pedagogy or student motivation to
                                  learn (and virtually all students I've spoken with complain of being
                                  bored to death). But still, this is an amazing accomplishment, to
                                  raise scores so dramatically. This is until you notice the fact that
                                  at the same time those scores improved, the local feeder middle school
                                  implemented a program where 8th graders who do not pass an exit exam
                                  are refused passage into 9th grade, and must remain in 8th until they
                                  pass the test or (eventually) drop out. Raising test scores by
                                  eliminating the poorest students seems a rather transparent solution,
                                  but no one questions or challenges it.

                                  I continue to plug away, supporting educators and students daily,
                                  mostly at <a href="http://www.tappedin.org">Tapped In</a> where I
                                  volunteer on Helpdesk. Sure, I post on a number of listservs, manage
                                  a few, and also volunteer at my daughter's school at least once a
                                  week, where I know that my efforts don't fall on deaf ears, since her
                                  teacher is very responsive to my help. So... using the vernacular so
                                  popular today, I say to Doug "bite me" and continue to do what I do.
                                  My decision to rant here is not so much a parting shot that I have
                                  given up and decided to sell real estate or insurance, although it
                                  certainly seems that more and more educators take this route. Instead
                                  it is just what it was... a rant... a scream in the darkness. Right
                                  now it's one of the few things that keep me going, and the knowledge
                                  that my words echoed with Ted and others reassures me that yes I have
                                  made the right career choice. Maybe if I bang my head against the
                                  wall long enough I'll create a hole in it and then there will be a
                                  chance for a window... or a door.

                                  Regards,

                                  Jeff Cooper
                                  jbcoops@...
                                • Trevor Shaw
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 25 9:31 AM
                                    I too am very sad to read Ted's post. I have read his stuff with admiration for many years. I can only hope that the "rant" caught him on a bad day.

                                    Ted, I can remember feeling much the same way to the point where I was giving some presentations at some ed tech conferences and my cynicism and frustration began to bleed into my presentations. I got a lot of negative feedback, and I'm sure there are a couple of conferences that I won't be invited back to.

                                    Changing schools has helped me re-invigorate myself, however. I am now in a place where I have exciting, daily conversations with teachers about innovative uses of technology that push the educational envelope. I suggest that you look into the independent school market. There are literally tons (tens?) of high quality independent schools in the NYC area. You mention the twilight of your career, and many independent schools are eager to hire well seasoned teachers who have just retired from high quality public schools and still have a passion about teaching. I have some experience on both sides of the public / private school fence, and I have found the independent school market to be one that embraces people who are forward thinkers and innovators.

                                    This, of course, does nothing to address the needs of kids in the NYC school system. For that, I'm afraid I don't have a solution.

                                    Regards,
                                    Trevor

                                    Trevor Shaw
                                    Director of Academic Technology
                                    Dwight-Englewood School
                                    315 E. Palisade Ave. 07631
                                    v. (201) 569-9500 ext 3244
                                    f. (201) 569-1688
                                    http://www.d-e.org

                                    >>> mahlness@... 5/24/2006 10:01 PM >>>

                                    --

                                    Ted Nellen 8-) http://www.tnellen.com/

                                    "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
                                    To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model
                                    obsolete."

                                    Buckminster Fuller

                                    WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
                                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
                                    http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

                                    Home school education
                                    High school education Chicago school education Middle school
                                    education

                                    Service.

                                    WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
                                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
                                    http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  • Greene, Dr. Patrick
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 25 10:41 AM
                                      From Jeff Cooper
                                      Maybe if I bang my head against the wall long enough I'll create a hole in it and then there will be a chance for a window... or a door.

                                      Exactly, Jeff. Ted is a bit down right now, because he had high hopes for new education in his part of NYC. Those hopes were dashed, but Ted will very soon pick himself back up and get back into the battle like he has always done.

                                      I heard Chris Dede once say, "If you need your fellow teachers and administrators to love you, then you are not going to be innovative enough to create the great technology infused classroom (I paraphrase)", and also "If you are afraid of pissing someone off, then you are not going to be doing the experimental work required." Remember - No Good Dead Ever Goes Unpunished. We all have to develop self-esteem within because it may be that no one else will appreciate what we're doing. So what! There is nothing wrong with putting your heart into something that you know is right but everyone else denegrates. Sooner or later a hole will appear, or maybe that will be for the next generation. Just keep on keeping on (as we used to say in the 60s).

                                      Patrick J Greene, PhD
                                      FGCU
                                      pgreene@...

                                    • Miguel Guhlin
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 25 6:27 PM
                                        I see this rant stuff a bit differently,although I sent all my letters
                                        in (including Moveon.org SAVE THE INTERNET) today, too. To me, Jeff
                                        sounds like a voice in the wilderness. More here:
                                        http://www.mguhlin.net/blog/archives/2006/05/entry_1555.htm

                                        While I can't necessarily offer an easy solution, I offer comfort that
                                        has worked for me. Maybe, changing the world is too big for us. Maybe,
                                        the expectation is that I change myself and let the world see what
                                        happens when one person is committed to transformation. Time and again,
                                        we've seen the power of transformation and divinity in a person's life.
                                        Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jesus, and others you may know.

                                        Each of us is called to be a leader, to unleash the power that is within
                                        us. Now, I don't want to quote what I wrote at the link above in its
                                        entirety, but here's a part that I really like from Edward Hays' book,
                                        "St. George and the Dragon and the Quest for the Holy Grail."

                                        Beginning a modern day quest for the Holy Grail (the Cup, not Mary
                                        Magdalene as portrayed in The Da Vinci Code, BTW <smile>), George
                                        encounters a dragon named Igor. The dragon and George have a long talk
                                        and eventually, George gets a ride back home on Igor's back. George
                                        shares his obversations that...

                                        From my position high on the dragon's back, I noticed that the
                                        dragon's body was covered with old wounds. WHenever the dragon
                                        breathed forth fire to light the path in front of us, I noticed that
                                        the wounds glowed golden-red in the dark. When I asked about them,
                                        the dragon replied, "Oh, my friend, I have been slain a thousand
                                        times, but I have always arisen again. THese old woulds are the
                                        source of my power and my insight. Our greatest and worst enemies
                                        are not the monsters who roam the forest or even wicked witches or
                                        evil wizards. No, it is our scars, our wounds, and old injuries that
                                        we must fear. As we journey through life we have all been
                                        injured--hurt by parents, brothers or sister, schoolmates,
                                        strangers, lovers, teachers. Each wound has the power to talk to us,
                                        you know. They speak, however, with crooked voices because of the scars.

                                        All of us have wounds--old ones and new ones--and whenever the
                                        monster appears, when hell breaks loose, we know that our old wounds
                                        are talking guiding us. It is these wounds that must be confronted
                                        (Hays, 1986).

                                        Like the dragon later told George, we must find a way to transform the
                                        power of the wounds, and not give weight to the voice of the times when
                                        we did our best and were rejected. The power to lead lies in the
                                        transformation of the crooked voices and the confrontation of the wounds.

                                        I disagree with Mark Ahlness' observation. Miguel Guhlin (that's me)
                                        isn't one of the new voices that replaces Ted Nellen or Jeff Cooper.
                                        Instead, I am just another middle-aged "George" trying to transform the
                                        wounds he's suffered, the wounds that are a part of living. I hope that
                                        Ted and Jeff will transform their wounds and rise again.

                                        Thanks,

                                        --
                                        Miguel Guhlin
                                        Email: mguhlin@...
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 25 7:39 PM
                                          Good evening, everyone. As I finally sit down, following a sixteen-hour day
                                          of the daily trivial pursuit that is often the job of a principal in a
                                          public school in NJ, I feel your pain...all of it.

                                          Recently, we began the process of completing annual reviews. As part of
                                          that process, I requested that staff members download, complete, and send back
                                          to me as a file a survey in order to assist me in this process.

                                          Of a staff of eighty, I had 15-20 who couldn't download an attachment,
                                          locate the directory it was in, if they had succeeded at step one, and were unable
                                          to attach a file, even with the gosh darned paper clip as a choice on the
                                          menu bar. (Where is the file?) Where does a person begin??

                                          A grievance ("we have never done this before") and several innane
                                          conversations with the very few staff members who think a mouse is a foot pedal later,
                                          and I squashed it. I directed a technological goal in all of their
                                          professional development plans for next year.

                                          As a second-year principal, having taken over for a technophobe, I feel like
                                          Sisyphus rolling the boulder up the mountain. To Ted, and anyone else who
                                          would despair I would offer the following:

                                          A dwarf on the shoulders of a giant sees the farther of the two...I think
                                          that fits here.

                                          Also, at least ONCE a day, I read the poem "If," by Rudyard Kipling. Using
                                          the computer just now, I did locate it in 4.5 seconds, copied and pasted it
                                          here in 2.4 seconds, and saved the several hours it would previously have
                                          taken me to go to the library, photocopy the poem, bring it home, and bang it out
                                          on my IBM Selectric. :-)

                                          That being said, we may lose a battle now and then; however, this is a war
                                          that we are going, inevitibly to win. After all, our students, within one
                                          generation, will be the principals, superintendents, and Board of Education
                                          members who will build the "highways." You are all the trailblazers, leaving, as
                                          Longfellow said, "footprints on the sands of time" for them to follow.

                                          If this is forwarded to you all, the text of "If" appears below. I read it
                                          at least once DAILY and it helps me to maintain that so fragile hold on my
                                          sanity...

                                          Keep the faith everyone. The whispers of this group, taken collectively in
                                          each of respective professions and locations, will become a roaring crowd
                                          when the voices are joined....

                                          _Rudyard Kipling_
                                          (http://www.everypoet.com/archive/poetry/Rudyard_Kipling/kipling_contents.htm)
                                          If

                                          If
                                          If you can keep your head when all about you
                                          Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
                                          If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
                                          But make allowance for their doubting too;
                                          If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
                                          Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
                                          Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
                                          And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;
                                          If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
                                          If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
                                          If you can meet with triumph and disaster
                                          And treat those two imposters just the same;
                                          If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
                                          Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
                                          Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
                                          And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;
                                          If you can make one heap of all your winnings
                                          And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
                                          And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                          And never breath a word about your loss;
                                          If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
                                          To serve your turn long after they are gone,
                                          And so hold on when there is nothing in you
                                          Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";
                                          If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
                                          Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
                                          If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
                                          If all men count with you, but none too much;
                                          If you can fill the unforgiving minute
                                          With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
                                          Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
                                          And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

                                        • John Thompson
                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 26 6:25 AM
                                            Nice to see an administrator who is advocating/pushing tech. As a former
                                            principal and superintendent who "pushed" tech and what it can do to help
                                            educators, here's another quote you might want to consider.

                                            To act is to be committed, and to be committed is to be in danger. ~ James
                                            Baldwin.

                                            Stick to guns but keep them loaded and your back covered (and give your
                                            staff more training than you can afford because you cannot afford not to).
                                            :-)

                                            John T. Thompson, Ph.D.
                                            Assistant Professor & Coordinator
                                            Educational Computing Program
                                            Computer Information Systems Dept.
                                            Chase 208, Buffalo State College
                                            1300 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14222
                                            (716) 878-3531 thompsjt@...
                                            http://www.buffalostate.edu/depts/edcomputing/

                                            "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most
                                            intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
                                            ~ Charles Darwin

                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 26 6:33 AM
                                              On May 25, 2006, at 7:39 PM, TeacherBC@... wrote:

                                              > Good evening, everyone. As I finally sit down, following a
                                              > sixteen-hour day
                                              > of the daily trivial pursuit that is often the job of a principal
                                              > in a
                                              > public school in NJ, I feel your pain...all of it.

                                              [snip, great stuff but...]

                                              > Longfellow said, "footprints on the sands of time" for them to
                                              > follow.

                                              Often the other option is to sit down and as one of my fellow
                                              teachers once said, "Who wants to be known for butt prints in the
                                              sands of time?"

                                              > If this is forwarded to you all, the text of "If" appears below.
                                              > I read it
                                              > at least once DAILY and it helps me to maintain that so fragile
                                              > hold on my
                                              > sanity...

                                              I leave the link (without the parens) . Thank you.

                                              > Keep the faith everyone. The whispers of this group, taken
                                              > collectively in
                                              > each of respective professions and locations, will become a
                                              > roaring crowd
                                              > when the voices are joined....
                                              >

                                              > _Rudyard Kipling_
                                              > http://www.everypoet.com/archive/poetry/Rudyard_Kipling/
                                              > kipling_contents.htm

                                              You are in a position to lead but, PLEASE, don't just put the
                                              technology component into their evaluation goals for next year.
                                              Ensure they have additional leadership, resources and the help they
                                              need to succeed. I know all too well what happens when goals are
                                              placed in front of people and there is no support for attaining the
                                              goal. I don't know what technology support they have nor have had
                                              but a goal with out the proper support is a road block which becomes
                                              a whip at evaluation time. I doubt if you intend this but your
                                              description of the last principal sounds leads me to believe that
                                              technology has been a very low item on the support menu.

                                              Bob
                                              --
                                              It has been said before but warrants repeating, "If you think
                                              education is expensive, try ignorance."

                                              Bob Sharp
                                              6th Grade Science Teacher
                                              Past Middle School Representative to the NCCE Board
                                              Recipient of The First Annual Learning Space Achievement Awards for
                                              Members