Re: [WWWEDU] Need a Video to Launch

  • BBracey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 28, 2006
      I am speaking from an elementary point of view. That is the elementary
      teacher has all day but often not permission to use technology except in prescribed
      ways. She is probably talking about
      Millde School or high school with valid points.

      bbracey at aol com

    • Greene, Dr. Patrick
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 2, 2006
        from Dr. Steve Eskow - Start a school. - Again

        Although I have 7-12 teaching certifications in Math, Biology,
        Chemistry, Physics, and Computer Science/Literacy, I appreciate the need
        to get back into the classroom and redo what I previously accomplished
        in 12 years of middle school and high school teaching.

        What I don't appreciate that much is your method of refuting the
        research done by others. Larry Cuban's research did not disparage the
        use of technology in K-12 education, but bemoaned the lack of it (some
        reasons were speculated upon, including a lack of teacher training). The
        Apple Classrooms of Tomorrow research was conducted, not by the Apple
        Corporation, but by a renowned group of researchers from UCLA and also
        by David Dwyer (a preeminent early technological researcher). Surely you
        want to make your point, not by casting aspersions on the research of
        others and by misconstruing legitimate research, but by presenting
        research findings that you and your colleagues have published.

        I appreciate the creation of schools that you say you and your
        colleagues have accomplished. Where is the research results that
        demonstrate the legitimacy of your claims? It may be that the reason
        there is less use of technology for instructional purposes by the
        nation's K-12 teachers is not resistance to change or lack of teacher
        training. The root cause may indeed be the inappropriateness of trying
        to layer technology on top of an obsolete education system. And, I would
        be more than happy to acknowledge that reality should you present
        sufficient research to support it. In fact, this contention is the major
        conjecture of Ned Davis' book, "Lessons for Tomorrow". However, Ned does
        not claim to base this contention on solidified research. He merely
        sites the difficulties with the present educational model and presents a
        new model of schooling that addresses those difficulties.

        Perhaps someone with deep pockets will eventually emulate his ideas.
        However, starting a school is a time intensive, labor intensive, and
        especially a currency intensive undertaking and very very few of us up
        here in these ivory towers have the funds, connections, and backing to
        accomplish it. So, instead of shouting, "Go start a school", as a way of
        supporting your conclusions, why not present research data. After all
        that is what professors of education do.

        Patrick Greene, PhD
        Florida Gulf Coast University
        pgreene@...