Re: 8th Grade Technology Assessment

  • Kevin Jarrett
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 20, 2006
      Hi Michelle,

      Others probably will mention these if they haven't already, but...

      We're proposing a program based on the free Microsoft/ISTE testing
      system:

      http://www.iste.org/resources/asmt/msiste/

      We like it because it is free, web based, has an integrated database
      for reporting, is flexible, pretty easy to use, fairly comprehensive,
      and utilizes Office 2003 products.

      Districts not running MS Office 2003 will be less than enthused.

      Learning.com's Tech Literacy Assessment strives to be
      platform-independent and utilizes their EasyTech engine (we have the
      EasyTech service and it is awesome.) DISCLAIMER: yes, that means I'm a
      customer. :-)

      http://www.learning.com/tla/index.htm

      Not sure of pricing ... contact them for details.

      Hope this helps,

      -kj-

      "Persistence is the twin sister of excellence. One is a matter of quality; the other, a matter of time."
      - Marabel Morgan, The Electric Woman

      Kevin Jarrett | Technology Facilitator, K-4 | District Webmaster
      Northfield Community School: http://www.ncs-nj.org
      Classroom eBoard: http://kjarrett.northfield.site.eboard.com
      Edtech Blog: http://www.ncs-tech.org
      kjarrett at ncs-nj dot org
    • Yury Khovov
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 26, 2006
        Assessment technologies had been available for a while.

        One popular site is http://www.WebAssign.com - I know that since I've created a similar product and ran it free at a university in NYC for Spring 2005.

        For grade-school, there's another site - http://www.brainish.com - which does assesment/teaching in kids-friendly form.

        It's really a matter of content, and not the system, imho.

        I wonder how much politics and similar factors (who-knows-whom) play into the selection process.

        Thanks,
        Yury Khovov, MBA
        yura2001@...

      • Greene, Dr. Patrick
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 26, 2006
          > One popular site is http://www.WebAssign.com -<

          From a quick glance at WebAssign, I believe it to be an
          innovative system that could help teachers, parents, and students share
          the process of assessment, in a school context, much more seemlessly
          than at present. The price of $250 per teacher, plus per student fees,
          however is patently ridiculous. This looks like another in a long line
          of innovative online tools for educators that are priced at the point
          that insures that they will not be widely used. In the past, I have
          assumed that some of these things are deliberately priced above the
          point at which a public school would even consider. In my feverish mind,
          I imagined that affluent private schools develop software like this so
          that they have functionality not finantially available to us unwashed
          commoners. I have seen, however, companies like LiveText create pricing
          structures that make sense and provide highly productive innovations
          that regular folks could afford. So, I usually advise staying away from
          the former, and looking instead for the later.

          Patrick Greene, PhD
          Florida Gulf Coast University
          pgreene@...
        • Yury Khovov
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 26, 2006
            >> From a quick glance at WebAssign, I believe it to be an innovative system <<

            Dear Dr. Greene,

            In my opinion WebAssign is nothing more than its name. It just allows instructors to assign whatever they want from a regular textbook (if it is in webassign).

            It really does not go into the heart of the issue of computers in education - it may grade correct solution as incorrect [e.g. sin(a) is correct, but sqrt(1-cos(a)*cos(a)) is not]; your answer would be definately wrong if a prior (and dependent) answer was incorrect; and nothing further than correct/incorrect.

            As I mentioned, I implemented a system which ran side-by-side with this one (I had to obtain copyright permission for the problems). And it took me 6 weeks of part-time work (disclosure - actually, 2.5 people worked on this, but still, part time, and 6 weeks of lapsed time).

            As far as pricing goes - I think, it's a function of market size, and nothing more.

            Yury Khovov, MBA

            Message: 9
            Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:54:55 -0500
            From: "Greene, Dr. Patrick"