CMS for school...

  • David Warlick
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
      First of all, my last message into this list was not intended for the
      list. I thought that I was still in an off-list conversation with
      Cindy. It's not my normal style of group rant...

      Now to the point. I have a school, here in NC who is looking for a
      content management system that they can install on their rented server
      space, that would work well for a school web site, and for some
      teacher/classroom sites. Is anyone using something that you are real
      pleased with.

      I'm using Mambo for my professional site now, and I like it, but it is
      no where near intuitive.

      Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

      -- dave --

      David F. Warlick
      The Landmark Project
      919-414-1845
      For Teachers: http://landmark-project.com/
      For Clients & the Curious: http://davidwarlick.com/
      Blog • http://2cents.davidwarlick.com/
      Podcast • http://connectlearning.davidwarlick.com/

      (cc) 2005 by David Warlick • Some Rights Reserved •
      http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/
    • Cindy Penchina
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
        I don't know much about this product, but I was talking to a school recently
        that signed up with schoolwires. From what I can see, it's a very nice tool,
        but it's not something you would install on rented space. It's a hosted
        application so you'd need to have them host for you.

        There are some open source applications that you can use, although they are
        not specifically designed for schools. We do custom content management
        systems that can be hosted on your own servers, but they tend to be more
        costly if compared to open source stuff. Basically in the thousands as
        opposed to the hundreds.

        Cindy Penchina

[...]

        WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
        http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Lars Hasselblad Torres
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
          Hi folks. The very best system I have seen, that is free, is civicspace.
          In addition to an implementation of it over at www.peacetiles.net (my
          passion right now!) you can see a beta run over at www.yearlykos.org (yes,
          the yearly version of the outstanding dailykos).

          If your school is really on top of things, they might implement zope and try
          plone (www.plone.org).

          Hope this is helpful!

          Lars

          --
          devarts.org + peacetiles.net
          Engaging visual artists to create a better world
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
            Always on the route of free software, I would give it a try with Drupal
            (www.drupal.org), a popular CMS which has a lot of features (blogs, many modules,
            charge balance, etc.), and I find it the most intuitive to learn. By the way, check out
            the progress of DrupalED (www.drupaled.org), a drupal costumized to educational
            environment. Greetings,

            werner

            http://www.educalibre.cl

            > Hi folks. The very best system I have seen, that is free, is civicspace.
            > In addition to an implementation of it over at www.peacetiles.net (my
            > passion right now!) you can see a beta run over at www.yearlykos.org (yes,
            > the yearly version of the outstanding dailykos).
            >
            > If your school is really on top of things, they might implement zope and try
            > plone (www.plone.org).
            >
            > Hope this is helpful!
            >
            > Lars
            >
            > On 11/3/05 12:32 PM, "Cindy Penchina" <webs@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I don't know much about this product, but I was talking to a school recently
            > > that signed up with schoolwires. From what I can see, it's a very nice tool,
            > > but it's not something you would install on rented space. It's a hosted
            > > application so you'd need to have them host for you.
            > >
            > > There are some open source applications that you can use, although they are
            > > not specifically designed for schools. We do custom content management
            > > systems that can be hosted on your own servers, but they tend to be more
            > > costly if compared to open source stuff. Basically in the thousands as
            > > opposed to the hundreds.
            > >
            > > Cindy Penchina

            ------- End of Original Message -------
          • Robert D. Sharp
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
              Shucks, Dave.

              I really enjoyed it.

              Bob

              On Nov 3, 2005, at 8:46 AM, David Warlick wrote:

              > First of all, my last message into this list was not intended for the
              > list. I thought that I was still in an off-list conversation with
              > Cindy. It's not my normal style of group rant...
              [snip]