Re: [WWWEDU] Re: Blogging/Podcasting Permissions

  • Robert D. Sharp
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
      OK?

      Let me post the question differently since I got an unexpected answer.

      Privacy issues are the problem?

      Open to the public is the problem?

      Selling a space to hear/see a presentation and expecting an economic
      return makes it closed and therefore a problem?

      Not thinking of the greater good and giving away intellectual
      property is the problem?

      A side issue...
      I have been a teacher for over thirty years. My parents advised me
      when I chose my profession over forty years ago that making that
      decision meant that I would never be rich. There are days I regret
      not listening to them; however, I chose this life.

      On the other hand, a few years ago, I had a conversation with another
      educator that had just come from "the business world." He and I had
      communicated because I was an on line tech support person who freely
      gave advice and information on technology and technology integration.
      He was complaining that teachers were constantly "ripping off" his
      ideas and passing them on as theirs. He was saying that he did not
      let others know about HIS ideas and plans because THEY were being
      successful by using them.

      This was before the implementation of the high stakes testing and the
      evaluation of teachers as being highly capable by the number of
      students who pass the test three years from now.

      As I look at what is going on now, I wonder.

      And I ask questions. Why would I want to podcast if I were going to
      be subject to a suit. [Back on topic...]

      I also ask myself, "If I were to speak in public, am I going to lose
      my intellectual property rights by someone secreting a copy of my
      talk out?"

      Is someone else giving my property away?

      Since I am not a speaker, I have no vested interest in asking the
      question.

      Bob

      On Oct 2, 2005, at 10:44 AM, Taran Rampersad wrote:

      > Robert D. Sharp wrote:
      >

      >> You did a great job making the point of privacy, but I have a
      >> question. If a person is presenting at a conference which requires
      >> payment of a fee, does that mean it is open to the public? Or does
      >> it mean that it is open to those who have a ticket to sit/stand/or
      >> even be in the room?
      >>

      > That's the exact same problem with education and the web.
      >

      > --
      > Taran Rampersad
      > Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad
      > cnd@...
      >
      > http://www.knowprose.com
      > http://www.easylum.net
      > http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/Taran
      >
      > Coming on January 1st, 2006: http://www.OpenDepth.com
      >
      > "Criticize by creating." — Michelangelo
    • Taran Rampersad
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
        Robert D. Sharp wrote:

        >You did a great job making the point of privacy, but I have a
        >question. If a person is presenting at a conference which requires
        >payment of a fee, does that mean it is open to the public? Or does
        >it mean that it is open to those who have a ticket to sit/stand/or
        >even be in the room?

        That's the exact same problem with education and the web.

        --
        Taran Rampersad
        Presently in: San Fernando, Trinidad
        cnd@...

        http://www.knowprose.com
        http://www.easylum.net
        http://www.digitaldivide.net/profile/Taran

        Coming on January 1st, 2006: http://www.OpenDepth.com

        "Criticize by creating." — Michelangelo
      • Trevor Shaw
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
          Interesting questions. I was thinking along the same lines when Andy
          mentioned that he was podcasting some vairous speeches.

          If you listen to the copyright disclaimer when you watch a baseball
          game, you will hear that it includes language about re-broadcasting a
          description of the game. I always thought that meant that you weren't
          allowed to tape John Sterling's play by play description of a Yankee's
          game and post it on the Internet.

          I suspect, however, that it could be interpreted to mean that If I have
          bought a ticket and am sitting in the stands, I would not be able to
          deliver my own play by play over cell phone or web connected iPod. I
          can clearly see an organization like MLB having a case against this
          where you are directly cutting into the profitability of something that
          they sell and restrict in certain markets. Why would I pay the extra $$
          to subscribe to MLB broadcasts on the web or on satelite when I can tune
          into "piratePlayByPlay.com" on the web?

          Trevor

          Trevor Shaw
          Director of Academic Technology
          Dwight-Englewood School
          315 E. Palisade Ave. 07631
          v. (201) 569-9500 ext 3244
          f. (201) 569-1688
          http://www.d-e.org
          http://www.d-e.org/mst - DE Math Science Technology
          Moderator: eduScribe-School Tablet PC Mailing List
          eduscribe-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          Author: "Learning Unleashed" -- MultiMedia and Internet@Schools
          http://www.infotoday.com/MMSchools/default.shtml

          >>> bhirshon@... 9/29/2005 10:02:17 AM >>>
          Hi:

          I'm not sure any requirement for seeking permissions to blog/podcast
          would be based solely on monetary issues ("You can't rebroadcast my
          speech because then I can't sell it.") I think it turns on privacy
          issues.

          If you hold a microphone up to someone's face and ask them questions,
          you could argue that you have implied consent. But if you tape someone
          talking without the person's knowledge, you can't argue that.

          If it's a speech, and it's open to the public and press, you can use
          parts of the speech for illustrative purposes, as part of news
          coverage.
          That's fair use. But I don't think you can rebroadcast/repodcast the
          speech in it's entirety, without their permission.

          Beyond the pretty tightly circumscribed "fair use" laws, for snippets
          used in coverage of an event, I'm not sure you can record and
          rebroadcast anyone without their permission. Same deal for photos and
          video (unless the person is a politician or celebrity, in which case
          they have no rights)

          Is there a lawyer in the house?

          Bob

          WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
          http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Greene, Dr. Patrick
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
            Sorry for the intrusion. I had thought that those entering and embracing the teaching profession, were dedicated more to the education of the young and less to normal money grubbing. I know that's a naïve attitude, but it's mine.

            In this era of easy international communication, many educators are freely exchanging ideas in an effort to increase the learning opportunities of their scholars. It seems to be a mutually beneficial system in which each individual gains at least as much as s/he gives away. The bottom line being that the learners world's are significantly enhanced. If one inculcates these ideas, then one is going to be less interested in protecting every word, line, or idea that one has.

            Yes, that is one reason why educators are not as highly remunerated as say business people. But that's the profession at this point in time, especially of those pioneering the use of the Internet in our profession. If you are not comfortable in a system like this, you should probably change professions, because close attention to your individual property rights is going to limit what you will be willing to share, and if that attitude spreads, what you will be able to absorb from others.

            Most of us knew early on, that we weren't going to be living high on the hog, and found riches in forms other than monetary. However, when I think of the most recognizable names on this list, I see many of them giving away quite a lot. Perhaps there's an biblical effect in play, and you actually get back many times what you sow.

            Patrick Greene, PhD
            Florida Gulf Coast University
            pgreene@...