Re: [WWWEDU] RE: Student/Teacher Blogging Plus new TILT Episode

  • Kevin Jarrett
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7 6:42 AM
      Fred, and all,

      The NJ State DOE website has all the info:

      http://www.nj.gov/njded/techno/idconsent/

      Should have put that in my original posting!

      Hope this helps,

      -kj-

      Fred Mindlin <fmindlin@...> wrote:
      Would you be willing to share the NJ state official
      permission form letter?
      Thanks, Fred

      _____
      "Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

      Kevin Jarrett | Technology Facilitator, K-4 | District Webmaster
      Northfield Community School: http://www.ncs-nj.org
      Classroom eBoard: http://kjarrett.northfield.site.eboard.com
      Edtech Blog: http://www.ncs-tech.org
      kjarrett at ncs-nj dot org

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7 10:01 AM
        Personally, I think this permission sheet is absolutely outrageous! The New
        Jersey DOE is engaging in unconscionable behavior.

        A student's residential address and phone numbers should NEVER be posted
        online. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!!!

        Student full names should only be posted online if they are high school age
        and parents have approved.

        Young people are posting way too much personal information online. They
        should be learning proper caution and concern from schools.

        BAD JOB NEW JERSEY!!!

        Nancy

        > Fred, and all,
        >
        > The NJ State DOE website has all the info:
        >
        > http://www.nj.gov/njded/techno/idconsent/
        >
        > Should have put that in my original posting!
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        >
        > -kj-
        >
        > Fred Mindlin <fmindlin@...> wrote:
        > Would you be willing to share the NJ state official
        > permission form letter?
        > Thanks, Fred
        >

        > _____
        > "Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for
        > others?'" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
        >
        > Kevin Jarrett | Technology Facilitator, K-4 | District Webmaster
        > Northfield Community School: http://www.ncs-nj.org
        > Classroom eBoard: http://kjarrett.northfield.site.eboard.com
        > Edtech Blog: http://www.ncs-tech.org
        > kjarrett at ncs-nj dot org

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bill Belsey
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 17 8:49 PM
          Dear Nancy,

          I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!!

          Bill Belsey

          President,
          Bullying.org

          www.bullying.org
          "Where you are NOT alone!"
          and
          www.cyberbullying.org
          "Always on? Always aware!"
          ****************************

          --- In wwwedu@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Willard <nwillard@c...> wrote:
          > Personally, I think this permission sheet is absolutely
          outrageous! The New
          > Jersey DOE is engaging in unconscionable behavior.
          >
          > A student's residential address and phone numbers should NEVER be
          posted
          > online. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!!!
          >
          > Student full names should only be posted online if they are high
          school age
          > and parents have approved.
          >
          > Young people are posting way too much personal information online.
          They
          > should be learning proper caution and concern from schools.
          >
          > BAD JOB NEW JERSEY!!!
          >
          > Nancy
          >

          > > Fred, and all,
          > >
          > > The NJ State DOE website has all the info:
          > >
          > > http://www.nj.gov/njded/techno/idconsent/
          > >
          > > Should have put that in my original posting!
          > >
          > > Hope this helps,
          > >
          > > -kj-
          > >
          > > Fred Mindlin <fmindlin@s...> wrote:
          > > Would you be willing to share the NJ state official
          > > permission form letter?
          > > Thanks, Fred
          > >

          > > _____
          > > "Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you
          doing for
          > > others?'" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
          > >
          > > Kevin Jarrett | Technology Facilitator, K-4 | District Webmaster
          > > Northfield Community School: http://www.ncs-nj.org
          > > Classroom eBoard: http://kjarrett.northfield.site.eboard.com
          > > Edtech Blog: http://www.ncs-tech.org
          > > kjarrett at ncs-nj dot org

          > > WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
          > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
          > > http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html
          > >
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
          > Center for Safe and Responsible Internet Use
          > http://csriu.org
          > nwillard@c...
        • Bill Belsey
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 17 9:10 PM
            Dear Danny,

            If you would like to look at how I am handling the celebration of my
            students' learning and the sharing of their knowledge, I would
            invite you, or other members of this list to visit my grade 5 class
            Web site at www.coolclass.ca "Canada's Coolest Class!" ;-)

            I have tired to distill about 25 years worth of experience using
            ICTs in innovative ways to support teaching and learning into this
            Web site.

            I use a wide variety of tools and resources, most of which are free
            and easy to set up. I use a blog, Web calendar and listserv to keep
            in touch with parents to list only a few. There is a "Parents'
            Portal" section that has information that is of particular interest
            to parents, and as such is password-protected. I have a moderated
            discussion forum that is used in many different ways such as having
            online writers-in-residence for my students with real professional
            writers. They are also mentored in person and online by real
            professional scientists, artists, elders and many others. I also use
            our forum as conecnctions through iEARN (www.iearn.org) to connect
            and share with other students around the world. Please also take a
            special look at our "Learning Galleries", "Our Projects"
            and "Learning Tools" sections.

            I have a LOT more to share, but I don't want to take up too much
            more time and space on this list. So please visit www.coolclass.ca
            and contact me by using the Web site's "Contact" mailform if you
            have any comments or questions.

            I will be pleased to share in what ever ways that I can.

            Sincerely,

            Bill Belsey

            P.S. We are also located in Alberta!

            --- In wwwedu@yahoogroups.com, "maasdw" <tilttv@g...> wrote:
            > Hi Everyone,
            >
            > Our school district in Edmonton, Canada, is examining the
            possiblities
            > of student-created blogs or teacher blogs as a way of sharing
            > knowledge. While this is not a new phenomenon by any stretch,
            we're
            > taking it cautiously. Our province has quite strict privacy laws
            and
            > I'm wondering how many of you out there deal with students and
            > blogging as class assignments. Questions for thought:
            >
            > - What types of media are you having your students create on their
            > blogs ? Text, audio, video, photos, all?
            > - Do you house the blogs on your own servers or do you go through
            > services like Blogger to host? Does 'where' these blogs are hosted
            > determine who controls what content is published on the blog?
            > - Are there any concerns from parents about student privacy when it
            > comes to publishing photos or identifying information about the
            > student (names, etc.)?
            >
            > Also, I just finished the latest video episode of TILT - Teachers
            > Improving Learning with Technology which can be downloaded at
            > http://tilttv.blogspot.com entitled "Online Literature for
            Students".