Blog: Turning Wikipedia into an Asset for Schools

  • Andy Carvin
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 12, 2005
      Here's a short essay I posted on my blog last night that I thought might be of interest... -andy

      Turning Wikipedia into an Asset for Schools
      http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2005/07/turning_wikiped.html

      Art Wolinsky and I went to dinner tonight just outside of Atlantic City, where I'll be leading a two-day workshop on documentary making for a group of elementary school teachers. During dinner, Art and I talked about what I'll be presenting tomorrow morning, as well as fun Internet topics such as video blogging, podcasting and Wikipedia.

      On Wikipedia in particular, we talked about the hostility that many educators have towards the website, particularly their concerns that it can't be considered a reliable source. It's the classic dilemma of a wiki website - because wikis allow any site visitor to edit or add content, you raise the risk of getting content that isn't up to snuff. And the fact that young and old alike often go to Wikipedia and see that its name ends in -pedia, they assume it's just like any other encyclopedia and they should take its content as vetted, accurate information, which ain't always the case.

      I explained to Art the community of Wikipedia volunteers known as Wikipedians who have created a system of checks and balances to improve the quality of content and avoid problems with virtual graffiti and inaccuracies. But it's not a perfect system, so it's not a huge surprise that a lot of educators just don't want their students utilizing the site.

      I had a flashback; a group of us on the WWWEDU email list had tried to create a "Kidopedia" - an online encyclopedia written entirely by kids - back in 1996, hosted by St. John's University. It didn't get very far because all encyclopedia entries were being posted manually by real people; that, and the fact that it was hard to articulate a compelling case as to why kids should be doing this in the first place.

      While I understand educators' concerns about directing kids towards "reliable" reference sources, the more I think about it, the more I think Wikipedia's flaws actually make it an ideal learning tool for students. That may sound counterintuitive, of course - how can you recommend a tool that you know may not be accurate? Well, that's precisely the point: when you go to Wikipedia, some entries are better referenced than others. That's just a basic fact. Some entries will have a scrupulous list of sources cited and a detailed talk page on which Wikipedians debate the accuracy of information presented in order to improve it. Others, though, will have no sources cited and no active talk pages. To me, this presents teachers with an excellent authentic learning activity in which students can demonstrate their skills as scholars.

      Here's a quick scenario. Take a group of fifth grade students and break them into groups, with each group picking a topic that interests them. Any topic. Dolphins, horses, hockey, you name it.

      Next, send the groups of kids to Wikipedia to look up the topic they selected. Chances are, someone has already created a Wikipedia entry on that particular subject. The horse, for example, has an extensive entry on the website. It certainly looks accurate and informative, but is it? Unfortunately, there are no citations for any of the facts claimed about horses on the page.

      This is where it gets fun. The group of students breaks down the content on the page into manageable chunks, each with a certain amount of facts that need to be verified. The students then spend the necessary time to fact-check the content. As the students work their way through the list, they'll find themselves with two possible outcomes: either they'll verify that a particular factoid is correct, or they'll prove that it's not. Either way, they'll generate a paper trail, as it were, of sources proving the various claims one way or another.

      Once the Wikipedia entry has been fact-checked, the teacher creates a Wikipedia login for the class. They go to the entry's talk page and present their findings, laying out every idea that needs to be corrected. Then, they edit the actual entry to make the corrections, with all sources cited. Similarly, for all the parts of the entry they've verified as accurate, they list sources confirming it. That way, each idea presented in the Wikipedia entry has been verified and referenced - hopefully with multiple sources.

      Get enough classrooms doing this, you kill several birds with one stone: Wikipedia's information gets better, students help give back to the Net by improving the accuracy of an important online resource, and teachers have a way to make lemons into lemonade, turning Wikipedia from a questionable information source to a powerful tool for information literacy.

      I can already see it now: an official K-12 Seal of Approval put on Wikipedia entries that have been vetted by students. Wish I were more handy in Photoshop. -andy

      --
      -----------------------------------
      Andy Carvin
    • David Warlick
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 12, 2005
        Dang, Andy! I'm trying to get back to work, and you give me something
        cool to think about and respond to. Excellent job with the essay. I'm
        pointing people to it.

        It all comes down to a logical, yet giant shift in how we deal with
        information in the classroom. Teacher's object (sometimes vehemently)
        to the use of WikipediA in the classroom because they are asking the
        questions, "who wrote this?" "who published this?". The shift is that
        we need to be teaching our students to ask those questions. This is
        what makes WikipediA so valuable, as you so effectively describe.
        Students are moving from a point of *assuming* the authority of the
        work (as we were taught) to *proving* the authority.

        Thanks Andy!

        -- dave --

        David F. Warlick
        The Landmark Project
        919-414-1845
        For Teachers: http://landmark-project.com/
        For Clients & the Curious: http://davidwarlick.com/
        Blog • http://davidwarlick.com/2cents/
        Podcast • http://davidwarlick.com/connectlearning/

        (cc) 2005 by David Warlick • Some Rights Reserved •
        http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

      • tednellen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 12, 2005
          i find the discussion about wikipedia interesting andy. i for one, an
          educator of 30+ years find wikipedia refreshing and actually a better
          resource than any encyclopedia one can find in any library. why? becaue
          the book is static and is edited by folks with an agenda and even a bias.
          consider how history books treat the concept of manifest destiny and how
          they treat the indigenous people of america. history books are constructed
          by the victors. then consider science books and how wrong they are on so
          many points. then as an english teacher the selections in too many
          literature anthologies suck to put it mildly. they are so biased it is
          disgusting. i, of course prefer using resources i can find on the internet
          and bypass the bias and prejudice EVERY publisher has. wikipedia is so
          refreshing, it is perhaps all that Oxygen we are getting that is making
          the critics light headed and dizzy. they dont get it and are very very
          afraid of the loss of control so to speak. that we have access toi experts
          and are having incredible scholarly diiscussions makes wikipedia genius
          and long overdo. we are no longer subject to the whims of a very few whoo
          publish and then provide bad and incorrect biased content to our children
          and citizens. it is afterall about the people, by the people and for the
          people. hurray for wikipedia.

          and i love the checks and balances about it so unlike textbooks and
          encyclopedias that when they are wrong are wrong for the life and
          shelflife of that tome. burning them is a fate too many wont do because of
          this love of books, even when they are trerribly wrong and perp[etuate
          discrimination and just plain wrong information.

          ted

          On Tue, 12
          Jul 2005, Andy Carvin wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > Get enough classrooms doing this, you kill several birds with one stone: Wikipedia's information gets better, students help give back to the Net by improving the accuracy of an important online resource, and teachers have a way to make lemons into lemonade, turning Wikipedia from a questionable information source to a powerful tool for information literacy.
          >
          > I can already see it now: an official K-12 Seal of Approval put on Wikipedia entries that have been vetted by students. Wish I were more handy in Photoshop. -andy

          Ted Nellen 8-) http://www.tnellen.com/

          "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
          To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

          Buckminster Fuller
        • Janice Friesen
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 12, 2005
            Andy,

            WHAT A GREAT IDEA!! I have been giving Wikipedias a lot of thought
            recently. Wil Richardson's blog has talked about them and he has a short
            video linked somewhere to his site which helped me to understand how they
            can be surprisingly accurate and thorough.

            One of the most important things that has changed about literacy in our time
            is the importance of checking facts. There is SO much information
            available. It is so easy to publish and to cut and paste. Literate people
            need to have the ability to ask the right questions and to search to find
            answers.

            This activity reaches this goal!

            Thanks, Janice

          • Elizabeth Sky-McIlvain
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 12, 2005
              Andy - the lights are on for me! I have been struggling with how to
              structure a every-other-day 40 minute, P/F, in-school Extension class called
              "Africa" - you have given me a structure that will be both fun and
              educational. It also seems to support the JigSaw strategy, which is one I
              like for middle school. Thanks!!

              Elizabeth Sky-McIlvain
              Least Tern
              Freeport Middle School
            • Art Wolinsky
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 13, 2005
                I can't tell you how great it is having Andy here to work with our teacher
                on documentary making. We learned more from him yesterday than we could
                have learned on our own in a year!

                Before we head out for day 2, I'd like to add my two cents about
                Wikipedia. I think if we look at Andy's essay and Ted's reply, we strike a
                nice balance than can make Wikipedia a valuable tool. Yes texts are
                static and often bias, but there is nothing to say that the same isn't true
                of some entries in Wikipedia. The fact that it is dynamic is good, but a
                student accessing it today, may be accessing a correction that was made
                yesterday that turned an accurate article into a biased one.

                If we can teach students to confirm the validity of any information they
                access we do them and the world a service while creating a generation of
                Wikipedians that can take the tool to a whole new level.

                Art

                Art Wolinsky
                Director of Professional Development
                Immersive Education
                http://www.kar2ouche.com
                awolinsky@...
                (609) 698-8223
                I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.
                I will surely learn a great deal today.
              • tednellen
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 13, 2005
                  absolutely, art, the ballance must be struck and yes, info is constantly
                  changing as we learn more. i'm reminded of a great quote from MIB:

                  1500 years ago everyone knew the Earth was the center of the Universe.
                  500 years ago everyone knew the Earth was flat.
                  15 minutes ago you knew people were alone on this planet.
                  Imagine what you will know tomorrow.
                  K, MIB

                  i llike the idea of presenting many sources and differing views. consider
                  using the standard history text of US History along with howard zinn's
                  _people's history of US_ or _aint gonna study war no more_. reading
                  editorials from different papers and countries as events unfold, like the
                  recent bombings in london. we need to be able to provide as many sources
                  as we can to our scholars, not just those published and distributed by the
                  system in which we work and live as they are limited as we know. it is
                  about teaching scholars: "believe none of what you hear and half of what
                  you see."

                  have fun, sounds like a good couple of days to be a fly on the wall.

                  involved with our own 4 week stretch of PD here as we play with blogs,
                  podcasting, wikis, flickr, RSS and the like.

                  ted

                  --

                  Ted Nellen 8-) http://www.tnellen.com/

                  "You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
                  To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

                  Buckminster Fuller
                • Kenton Letkeman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 14, 2005
                    Speaking of telling fact from fiction, did people really think the earth was
                    flat 500 years ago?
                    Kenton Letkeman

                    On Wednesday 13 July 2005 06:49, tednellen wrote:
                    > absolutely, art, the ballance must be struck and yes, info is constantly
                    > changing as we learn more. i'm reminded of a great quote from MIB:
                    >
                    > 1500 years ago everyone knew the Earth was the center of the Universe.
                    > 500 years ago everyone knew the Earth was flat.
                    > 15 minutes ago you knew people were alone on this planet.
                    > Imagine what you will know tomorrow.
                    > K, MIB
                  • Miguel Guhlin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 16, 2005
                      Hi folks!

                      First of all, allow me to share my appreciation for the wonderful
                      discussions being had on this list. I've learned a lot about wikis,
                      podcasting, and blogging just lurking on the list.

                      Second, I'd like to ask your opinions...I've been asked to write an
                      article supporting open source in K-12 education. I would love to read
                      your feedback and ideas regarding this topic. You can make comments
                      online at:

                      http://www.mguhlin.net/blog/archives/2005/07/entry_262.htm

                      I will be sure to cite references to comments you leave online by
                      referring to the link shared above....

                      Thanks in advance for your feedback!

                      --
                      Miguel Guhlin