technology in education

  • kalli gritis
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 11, 2005
      Hello Everybody,

      I just recently joined the list serve and would like to share some of my
      classroom experiences using the web. One activity that I love is having
      students create their own websites. On these websites, students can post
      their research projects and book reports. At the same time, they are in
      total control of organization, features, and content. It's great!

      Kalli Gritis
      Toronto, Ontario, Canada

      Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft� SmartScreen
      Technology
      first two months FREE*.
    • P. Murphy
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 13, 2005
        Hi, Kalli. I teach relatively close to you in Buffalo, NY. I visit
        Toronto several times a year. I work at a PreK-8th grade public school
        that has a special "magnet" program that attracts Haudenosaunee
        students who live in the city. Some of the Native American staff who
        work in my building live in Fort Erie, Ontario.

        My school just recently was wired for the Internet, so I haven't
        experimented with having my students create their own websites yet.
        What are some good providers to use when I do get to that point?

        -Patricia
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elementary-lesson-share

        --- In wwwedu@yahoogroups.com, "kalli gritis" <kalligritis@h...> wrote:
        > Hello Everybody,
        >
        > I just recently joined the list serve and would like to share some
        of my
        > classroom experiences using the web. One activity that I love is
        having
        > students create their own websites. On these websites, students can
        post
        > their research projects and book reports. At the same time, they
        are in
        > total control of organization, features, and content. It's great!
        >
        > Kalli Gritis
        > Toronto, Ontario, Canada

        > Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft®
        SmartScreen
        > Technology

        > Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the
        > first two months FREE*.
      • John Thompson
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 14, 2005
          What school do you teach in in Buffalo? Just now were wired? Waiting for the
          technology to get better? :-)

          John Thompson

          Hi, Kalli. I teach relatively close to you in Buffalo, NY. I visit Toronto
          several times a year. I work at a PreK-8th grade public school that has a
          special "magnet" program that attracts Haudenosaunee students who live in
          the city. Some of the Native American staff who work in my building live in
          Fort Erie, Ontario.

          My school just recently was wired for the Internet, so I haven't
          experimented with having my students create their own websites yet.
          What are some good providers to use when I do get to that point?

          -Patricia
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elementary-lesson-share

          --- In wwwedu@yahoogroups.com, "kalli gritis" <kalligritis@h...> wrote:
          > Hello Everybody,
          >
          > I just recently joined the list serve and would like to share some
          of my
          > classroom experiences using the web. One activity that I love is
          having
          > students create their own websites. On these websites, students can
          post
          > their research projects and book reports. At the same time, they
          are in
          > total control of organization, features, and content. It's great!
          >
          > Kalli Gritis
          > Toronto, Ontario, Canada

          > Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented MicrosoftR
          SmartScreen
          > Technology

          http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=htt
          p://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

          > Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNR Premium right now and get
          > the first two months FREE*.

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Ever
          feel sad or cry for no reason at all?
          Depression. Narrated by Kate Hudson.
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tm21UC/esnJAA/HwKMAA/C1XolB/TM
        • Bob Hirshon
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 15, 2005
            Hi, John:

            I think we sometimes forget that our schools, despite the statistics we
            read, are not nearly as wired as we think. I suspect the impressive
            numbers are based on surveys given to principals or other
            administrators, and really answer the question: "Have you been given
            some funds or equipment, are expected to be on line, and can't really
            say that you're not because people will think you're not competent or
            capable?"

            We're just completing an evaluation of our after school program, based
            on a ten-school sample in Washington, DC. The schools are all in the
            lowest income districts of the city, but were selected because they all
            claimed to have reliable internet access available to children in their
            after school environment.

            Our program actually verifies child use of the internet over the course
            of the project, by requiring log ins at our site, and collection of game
            points based on completion of activities. In other words, we do more
            than just ask school staff about kids' use of the internet-- we actually
            monitor it.

            The result? Only three or four of the ten schools showing significant
            Internet use (even though all ten showed significant use of the
            non-Internet portion of the program, verified through child-produced
            work). Adult club leaders complained of intermittent internet access, or
            having regular access in only a computer or two.

            A site visit showed that one school had computers, and internet access,
            but the machines were set up in a small room that was literally
            crisscrossed with cables, stretched so that they formed a web, two or
            three feet off the ground. Other sites had access to the internet that
            was so intermittent that they stopped trying. Even if it worked three
            out of four days, the 25% of the time that it failed to work was
            sufficiently frustrating and wasted so much time that they decided to
            stop trying.

            This is especially frustrating because, while the evaluation isn't yet
            complete, it looks like the kids who really did have access to the
            internet showed significantly greater gains in understanding of core
            content (as demonstrated by comparisons of test scores before and after
            the study period.)

            We'll know more once the evaluator finishes compiling the data, and
            we'll circulate (and maybe publish) the results.

            Bob Hirshon
            Senior Project Director
            Kinetic City
            American Association for the Advancement of Science
            bhirshon@...

            >>> jthompson@... - 6/14/05 2:16 PM >>>

            wrote:
            > Hello Everybody,
            >
            > I just recently joined the list serve and would like to share some
            of my
            > classroom experiences using the web. One activity that I love is
            having
            > students create their own websites. On these websites, students can
            post
            > their research projects and book reports. At the same time, they
            are in
            > total control of organization, features, and content. It's great!
            >
            > Kalli Gritis
            > Toronto, Ontario, Canada

            > Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented MicrosoftR
            SmartScreen
            > Technology

            http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=htt
            p://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

            > Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNR Premium right now and get
            > the first two months FREE*.

            WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
            http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 15, 2005
              Thanks the insight, Bob. Yes, just as all politics is local, all statistics
              are local. It really does not matter much what the stats say is happening
              nationally when you arrive to work in the morning and face your own
              particular situation. I see that all the time in the graduate courses that I
              teach. There is a wide disparity in technology access and use in the
              workplaces of my students who are generally K-12 teachers. And it's not just
              local v. national stats. It's also school district v. school district and
              even school v. school within the same district. It's not that stats lie.
              It's just that stats don't really depict the truth.

              John Thompson, Ph.D.
              Assistant Professor
              Coordinator, Educational Computing & Multidisciplinary Studies Programs
              Computer Information Systems Department
              Chase 208 . Buffalo State College
              1300 Elmwood Avenue . Buffalo, NY 14222
              (716) 878-3531 . thompsjt@...
              http://www.buffalostate.edu/depts/edcomputing/
              http://www.buffalostate.edu/graduatestudies/multi/

              "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most
              intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
              ~ Charles Darwin

              wrote:
              > Hello Everybody,
              >
              > I just recently joined the list serve and would like to share some
              of my
              > classroom experiences using the web. One activity that I love is
              having
              > students create their own websites. On these websites, students can
              post
              > their research projects and book reports. At the same time, they
              are in
              > total control of organization, features, and content. It's great!
              >
              > Kalli Gritis
              > Toronto, Ontario, Canada

              > Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented MicrosoftR
              SmartScreen
              > Technology

              http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=htt
              p://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

              > Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNR Premium right now and get
              > the first two months FREE*.

              WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
              http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
              http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Does
              he tell you he loves you when he's hitting you?
              Abuse. Narrated by Halle Berry.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/ig21TC/isnJAA/HwKMAA/C1XolB/TM
            • Greene, Dr. Patrick
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 15, 2005
                Yes, and remember that 63.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
                In my experience, quite a bit of technology use within a school is controlled by the tech specialist in that building. Mostly the administration hasn't a clue. Some tech specialists want to provide as much choice for teachers as possible and want to help them acheive aims. Some tech specs. just lock up the system to make their jobs easier.

                Patrick Greene, PhD
                Florida Gulf Coast University
                pgreene@...

                wrote:
                > Hello Everybody,
                >
                > I just recently joined the list serve and would like to share some
                of my
                > classroom experiences using the web. One activity that I love is
                having
                > students create their own websites. On these websites, students can
                post
                > their research projects and book reports. At the same time, they
                are in
                > total control of organization, features, and content. It's great!
                >
                > Kalli Gritis
                > Toronto, Ontario, Canada

                > Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented MicrosoftR
                SmartScreen
                > Technology

                http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=htt
                p://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

                > Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNR Premium right now and get
                > the first two months FREE*.

                WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
                http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
                http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Does
                he tell you he loves you when he's hitting you?
                Abuse. Narrated by Halle Berry.
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/ig21TC/isnJAA/HwKMAA/C1XolB/TM

                WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
                http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Mark Ahlness
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 15, 2005
                  Patrick Greene, PhD:
                  "Yes, and remember that 63.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
                  In my experience, quite a bit of technology use within a school is
                  controlled by the tech specialist in that building. Mostly the
                  administration hasn't a clue. Some tech specialists want to provide as much
                  choice for teachers as possible and want to help them acheive aims. Some
                  tech specs. just lock up the system to make their jobs easier. "

                  ----------------------------

                  Patrick and all,
                  Tech specialists in buildings. What a concept. Here's a stat I researched
                  myself, because when I asked, nobody knew. In Seattle elementary schools,
                  19% have a full time tech specialist - but that person usually teaches
                  classes in a lab to cover teacher prep periods. How many elementary schools
                  truly have a full time tech specialist? 3% (2 out of 61). Yes, it does
                  matter, as somebody said earlier - local vs. national, district to district.
                  Those who debate the job tech specialists are doing might do well to first
                  look at how many there really are out there. - Mark

                  Mark Ahlness
                  mahlness@...
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 16, 2005
                    I think a key indicator of the degree to which technology is perceived as an
                    integral part of instruction is to look at which district department
                    coordinates issues around professional development and technology-based
                    instruction.

                    Is this still part of the computer and information services department or
                    has the shift been made to the curriculum and instruction department?

                    Until a shift is made to the latter, technology will not be fully integrated
                    into the curriculum and instruction.

                    Nancy

                    > Patrick Greene, PhD:
                    > "Yes, and remember that 63.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
                    > In my experience, quite a bit of technology use within a school is
                    > controlled by the tech specialist in that building. Mostly the
                    > administration hasn't a clue. Some tech specialists want to provide as much
                    > choice for teachers as possible and want to help them acheive aims. Some
                    > tech specs. just lock up the system to make their jobs easier. "
                    >
                    > ----------------------------
                    >
                    > Patrick and all,
                    > Tech specialists in buildings. What a concept. Here's a stat I researched
                    > myself, because when I asked, nobody knew. In Seattle elementary schools,
                    > 19% have a full time tech specialist - but that person usually teaches
                    > classes in a lab to cover teacher prep periods. How many elementary schools
                    > truly have a full time tech specialist? 3% (2 out of 61). Yes, it does
                    > matter, as somebody said earlier - local vs. national, district to district.
                    > Those who debate the job tech specialists are doing might do well to first
                    > look at how many there really are out there. - Mark
                    >
                    > Mark Ahlness
                    > mahlness@...

                  • Robert D. Sharp
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 16, 2005
                      I think you are right on, Nancy. There is an additional indicator
                      that one must keep in mind.

                      Does the curriculum and instruction department (person/persons)
                      actively stress, model and understand the appropriate uses of
                      classroom technology?

                      I have had the experience of enduring MANY meetings with district
                      staff where barely legible handouts were made into transparencies and
                      put on unfocused overheads while the "expert" stood and delivered.
                      While all offers to show them how to use technology to bring life to
                      the presentations were ignored.

                      In other meetings where materials were being selected for use of the
                      students, urgings to the assistant sup't to ensure that appropriate
                      technology materials/methods be examined were also ignored.

                      I could go on but it takes more than saying that technology
                      integration is a part of Curriculum and Instruction. They really
                      need to demonstrate they do more than talk.

                      Bob

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 17, 2005
                        > I think you are right on, Nancy. There is an additional indicator
                        > that one must keep in mind.
                        >
                        > Does the curriculum and instruction department (person/persons)
                        > actively stress, model and understand the appropriate uses of
                        > classroom technology?

                        I ran into this issue big time in the late 90's. I did a lot of technology
                        planning in those days. In fact, I helped over 40% of the Oregon school
                        districts develop their first Technology Literacy technology plan. My
                        planning materials are still on my site. If you took the time to look, you
                        would see that even then I was advising a shift to C&I.

                        In the mid-90's, I was contracted to develop a technology plan for a major
                        Oregon school district. The director of technology hired me. He was a
                        brilliant technology specialist whose model provided the foundation for what
                        is now the Oregon Public Education Network. And he had an excellent
                        understanding of how this technology could improve instruction. But he was
                        not an "educator."

                        So here I was writing a tech plan for this district and there was no
                        involvement in this activity by anyone from the C&I department. The reason
                        they wanted a tech plan was so they going present it to the community in an
                        election to get bond funds for technology.

                        I pushed for a meeting with the director of C&I. During this meeting he
                        proudly pointed out the section in the district's curriculum objectives that
                        addressed technology objectives. They were all, of course, the technical
                        skills objectives: keyboarding, spreadsheets. I asked him how the district
                        intended to use technology to improve instruction in language arts and
                        science. He looked at me with a very befuddled expression.

                        The primary work in the writing of the tech plan for this district came
                        through a several day planning retreat. The participants included only staff
                        from the tech department. This did, fortunately, include some of the tech
                        enthusiast educators this director had hired to provide professional
                        development to the district's teachers.

                        My work now focuses primarily on cyberbullying. In school districts, who
                        pays attention to bullying and other student behavior issues? The safe
                        schools committee. Who is in charge of addressing responsible use of the
                        Internet? The director of technology?????

                      • kalli gritis
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 17, 2005
                          If anybody is interested. My students created their own websites to do
                          their book reports. Before you take a look, the content is in French
                          because it is a French Immersion class. Just to let you know, permission to
                          view was given by both students.. I'm sooo proud of them..Enjoy!

                          Mariam Rajabali: mariamsworld990.tripod.com
                          Alexa Kowaltchuk: www.freewebs.com/mrlivre

                          Kalli Gritis

                          Don't just Search. Find! http://search.sympatico.msn.ca/default.aspx The new
                          MSN Search! Check it out!
                        • kalli gritis
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 17, 2005
                            Our school (Runnymede Public School, Toronto) has made a huge step towards
                            using technology in the school...and not only for the students, but teachers
                            too. The school board had all school computers reprogrammed and reimaged.
                            Basically, each teacher and student has their own code and password in order
                            to log onto a computer. In fact, it doesn't matter what computer you work
                            on in the school...with the code and password your information, whatever you
                            saved, website history, etc..will show. The code and password open up your
                            personal files on any computer. In addition, we held a training workshop
                            for the students in terms of how to use the new system. I mean, in a school
                            of 1200 students, can you imagine the % of students that will forget their
                            student numbers or passwords.??!! We showed students how to save their
                            work on an H drive and hand it in to their teacher electronically. We have
                            had the new system in place since March and it has been very successful!

                            Kalli Gritis
                            Toronto District School Board

                            Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft� SmartScreen
                            Technology.
                            first two months FREE*.
                          • maasdw
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 18, 2005
                              Hi all! I'm new to the group and am a technology teacher
                              facilitator in Edmonton, Canada. I work with teachers in their
                              schools integrating technology into other subject areas but the
                              challenges are great.

                              Getting other curriculum experts on board with technology is
                              difficult at best. The thing is, most are experts in their field
                              alone (say, for example, math) and do not have the expertise or
                              knowledge to know how and when to use technology to ehance or extend
                              that other subject area learning.

                              I guess the one positive is that the Internet has so many excellent
                              learning objects available and many of these resources don't require
                              expert knowledge to use effectively.

                              Nice to be a part of this group!
                              Danny Maas
                              http://tilttv.blogspot.com

                              --- In wwwedu@yahoogroups.com, "Robert D. Sharp" <RobertDS1@c...>

                              Service.

                            • Claude Almansi
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 18, 2005
                                kalli gritis wrote:
                                > If anybody is interested. My students created their own websites to do
                                > their book reports. Before you take a look, the content is in French
                                > because it is a French Immersion class. Just to let you know, permission to
                                > view was given by both students.. I'm sooo proud of them..Enjoy!
                                >
                                > Mariam Rajabali: mariamsworld990.tripod.com
                                > Alexa Kowaltchuk: www.freewebs.com/mrlivre

                                Félicitations à Mariam et Alexa! J'ai mis un mot pour Mariam dans son
                                site - mais je n'ai pas trouvé où le faire dans le site d'Alexa. Leurs
                                prsentations donnent envie de lire les livres, et ce n'est déjà pas
                                facile d'obtenir ce résultat dans sa langue maternelle: dans une langue
                                étragère, c'est remarquable.

                                Depuis combien de temps étudient-elles le français?

                                Question à vous comme enseignante: Pourquoi le choix de livre
                                anglophones traduits, plutôt que de livres directement écrits en
                                français? Ce n'est pas une critique, mais une curiosité. Il est vrai que
                                les textes traduits sont souvent plus faciles à comprendre que ceux en
                                langue originale: la traduction aplatit les textes.

                                Congratulations to Mariam and Alexa! I wrote something for Mariam in her
                                site, but I didn't find where to do that in Alexa's. Their presentations
                                make one want to read the books: this is no mean feat in one's mother
                                tongue, let alone in a foreign language.

                                How long for have they been learning French?

                                Question to Kalli Gritis as teacher: why did the students read
                                translations of books originally written in English? I'm not
                                nit-picking, just curious. Sure, translated texts are often easier to
                                understand than original ones, because translation "flattens" texts.

                                cheers

                                Claude

                                --
                                Claude Almansi

                                http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/languages
                              • kalli gritis
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 19, 2005
                                  Bonjour Claude..

                                  Comme vous pouvez voir, les filles ont beaucoup d'exp�rience cr�er leurs
                                  propres sites. Pendant l'ann�e, la classe a fait beaucoup de projets et
                                  quelques �tudes de roman. Pour ce rapport final de livre, je les ai laiss�s
                                  �crire un rapport sur un livre de leur choix. Les filles sont dans la 7
                                  annee maintenant et ont �t� dans l'immersion fran�aise depuis l'age de 5.

                                  Hi Claude,

                                  As you can see, the girls have a lot of experience creating their own
                                  websites. During the year, the class did many projects and a few novel
                                  studies. For this final book report, I let them write about a novel of
                                  their choice. The girls are in grade 7 and have been in French Immersion
                                  since the age of 5.

                                  Kalli

                                  >From: Claude Almansi <claude.almansi@...>
                                  >To: wwwedu@yahoogroups.com
                                  >Subject: Re: [WWWEDU] student websites
                                  >Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 20:58:32 +0200
                                  >

                                  >kalli gritis wrote:
                                  > > If anybody is interested. My students created their own websites to do
                                  > > their book reports. Before you take a look, the content is in French
                                  > > because it is a French Immersion class. Just to let you know,
                                  >permission to
                                  > > view was given by both students.. I'm sooo proud of them..Enjoy!
                                  > >
                                  > > Mariam Rajabali: mariamsworld990.tripod.com
                                  > > Alexa Kowaltchuk: www.freewebs.com/mrlivre
                                  >
                                  >F�licitations � Mariam et Alexa! J'ai mis un mot pour Mariam dans son
                                  >site - mais je n'ai pas trouv� o� le faire dans le site d'Alexa. Leurs
                                  >prsentations donnent envie de lire les livres, et ce n'est d�j� pas
                                  >facile d'obtenir ce r�sultat dans sa langue maternelle: dans une langue
                                  >�trag�re, c'est remarquable.
                                  >
                                  >Depuis combien de temps �tudient-elles le fran�ais?
                                  >
                                  >Question � vous comme enseignante: Pourquoi le choix de livre
                                  >anglophones traduits, plut�t que de livres directement �crits en
                                  >fran�ais? Ce n'est pas une critique, mais une curiosit�. Il est vrai que
                                  >les textes traduits sont souvent plus faciles � comprendre que ceux en
                                  >langue originale: la traduction aplatit les textes.
                                  >

                                  >Congratulations to Mariam and Alexa! I wrote something for Mariam in her
                                  >site, but I didn't find where to do that in Alexa's. Their presentations
                                  >make one want to read the books: this is no mean feat in one's mother
                                  >tongue, let alone in a foreign language.
                                  >
                                  >How long for have they been learning French?
                                  >
                                  >Question to Kalli Gritis as teacher: why did the students read
                                  >translations of books originally written in English? I'm not
                                  >nit-picking, just curious. Sure, translated texts are often easier to
                                  >understand than original ones, because translation "flattens" texts.
                                  >
                                  >cheers
                                  >
                                  >Claude
                                  >
                                  >--
                                  >Claude Almansi
                                  >
                                  >http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/languages

                                  Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft�
                                  SmartScreen Technology.
                                  first two months FREE*.