Re: [WWWEDU] Law information sources?

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2005
      Hey Doug,

      There are chapters in my online book, Safe and Responsible Use of the
      Internet by Students related to the legal issues.
      http://csriu.org/onlinedocs/pdf/srui/sruilisting.html

      Part III Legal Issues
      1. District Liability Related to Access to Inappropriate Material or
      People
      2. District Liability for Material Placed on Web Site of Transmitted
      Through System
      3. District Liability to Students and Other Liability Concerns
      4. Student and Staff Privacy Issues
      5. Public Records
      6. The Constitutionality and Advisability of the Use of Commercial
      Filtering Software in U.S. Public Schools
      7. Student Speech
      8. Academic Freedom
      9. Copyright
      10. Disability Information Technology Access

      Nancy

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I am doing some workshops next week on technology ethics and the hosting
      > district wants special attention paid to legal issues surrounding Internet
      > use.
      >
      > I would like to provide them with a good bibliography of print and on-line
      > sources of information on this topic of technology and the law. (This is not
      > my primary area of ³expertise.)
      >
      > I am:
      > - suggesting Kathleen Conn¹s book The Internet and the Law (ASCD, 2002) as
      > sort of print primer.
      > - advising them to scan more mainstream publications for specific articles
      > related to technology and the law such as e-School News, EdWeek, and ASCD
      > SmartBrief.
      > - aware of sites like FindLaw and Law.com, including the latter¹s Legal
      > Technology sections.
      >
      > What other sources do you experts find invaluable to stay current on or find
      > information about the legal aspects of educational technology use?
      >
      > Thanks for any ideas/suggestions you might have. Again, this is for
      > practicing educators, not lawyers.
      >
      > All the best,
      >
      > Doug
      >

      > Doug Johnson
      > Director of Media and Technology
      > Mankato Area Public Schools
      > Box 8713, 1351 S Riverfront Dr.
      > Mankato MN 56001-8714
      > 507-387-7698 x 473
      > dougj@...
      > www.doug-johnson.com
      >
      > "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
      > that take our breath away." -- George Carlin

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • dougj
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
        Excellent. I will both read it and recommend it highly!

        Thanks,

        Doug

        On 2/3/05 3:53 PM, "Nancy Willard" <nwillard@...> wrote:

        > Hey Doug,
        >
        > There are chapters in my online book, Safe and Responsible Use of the
        > Internet by Students related to the legal issues.
        > http://csriu.org/onlinedocs/pdf/srui/sruilisting.html
        >
        > Part III Legal Issues
        > 1. District Liability Related to Access to Inappropriate Material or
        > People
        > 2. District Liability for Material Placed on Web Site of Transmitted
        > Through System
        > 3. District Liability to Students and Other Liability Concerns
        > 4. Student and Staff Privacy Issues
        > 5. Public Records
        > 6. The Constitutionality and Advisability of the Use of Commercial
        > Filtering Software in U.S. Public Schools
        > 7. Student Speech
        > 8. Academic Freedom
        > 9. Copyright
        > 10. Disability Information Technology Access
        >
        > Nancy
        >

        >> Hi folks,
        >>
        >> I am doing some workshops next week on technology ethics and the hosting
        >> district wants special attention paid to legal issues surrounding Internet
        >> use.
        >>
        >> I would like to provide them with a good bibliography of print and on-line
        >> sources of information on this topic of technology and the law. (This is not
        >> my primary area of ³expertise.)
        >>
        >> I am:
        >> - suggesting Kathleen Conn¹s book The Internet and the Law (ASCD, 2002) as
        >> sort of print primer.
        >> - advising them to scan more mainstream publications for specific articles
        >> related to technology and the law such as e-School News, EdWeek, and ASCD
        >> SmartBrief.
        >> - aware of sites like FindLaw and Law.com, including the latter¹s Legal
        >> Technology sections.
        >>
        >> What other sources do you experts find invaluable to stay current on or find
        >> information about the legal aspects of educational technology use?
        >>
        >> Thanks for any ideas/suggestions you might have. Again, this is for
        >> practicing educators, not lawyers.
        >>
        >> All the best,
        >>
        >> Doug
        >>

        >> Doug Johnson
        >> Director of Media and Technology
        >> Mankato Area Public Schools
        >> Box 8713, 1351 S Riverfront Dr.
        >> Mankato MN 56001-8714
        >> 507-387-7698 x 473
        >> dougj@...
        >> www.doug-johnson.com
        >>
        >> "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
        >> that take our breath away." -- George Carlin

        >> WWWEDU, The Web and Education Discussion Group
        >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwwedu
        >> http://www.edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html
        >>
        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Sylvia Martinez
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005
          Hi Doug,
          Like Nancy's online book, I would try to highlight things that relate specifically to
          education - there are so many nuances and vagaries in the law it's nice to have references
          that are specific to practices in school.

          Hall Davidson has a site that has good stuff. I'd look it up but I know you can google him
          easily.

          There is also a book that is great for students, but really helpful for parents and teachers
          (as the title says!) It's fun and practical. Internet & Computer Ethics for Kids: (and Parents &
          Teachers Who Haven't Got a Clue.) by Winn Schwartau, D. L. Busch

          Hope your talk goes well!
          Sylvia Martinez
          Generation YES