Re: [WWWEDU] request for comments: list rules for posting newsletters

  • BBracey@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
      I guess I am the culprit, I posted the GLEF.org newsletter. No problem in not
      posting it, lots of the mail we get is a portion of a list, or a newsletter,
      and distributed over time. I recognize the chunks as they are distributed,
      even if the whole newsletter is not published. Since this is a moderated list,
      and full of people who do communicate with interesting things to debate, .....it
      does not matter to me

      The purpose of the list may be different for teachers , than technologists,or
      professors.. but I am a newbie here. Whatever the rules... no problem. Lots
      of what we read is recirculated information anyway. I can understand that
      because I see it over and over again too. And I do have other listservs for various
      types of distribution.

      Bonnie Bracey
      bbracey @ aol. com

    • Andy Carvin
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
        Actually, Bonnie, you're not the culprit; didn't even occur to me. I'd
        just been noticing an increase in the number of newsletters and
        newsletter requests in the last few weeks, and I finally had a free
        moment to post the question to the list. This isn't intended as a
        criticism of any particular newsletter publisher; I just want to have
        a clear policy so no one can accuse me of playing favorites if I
        discourage someone from doing it.

        ac

        Andy Carvin
        acarvin at edc.org

        ps - vote!

      • BBracey@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
          I think, like you, I read the information in press release, in the
          newsletters, and in the news. I am not sure often how many times some information goes
          round and round. But as some of you have said, we do get repeats on the
          information. However now there is some information that is not getting around. That
          is like the information for active communicating with the FCC, except from
          Kevin at the Benton Foundation.. I have been told by some of the commissioners
          that they never get mail about school things. E-rate, Violence etc.
          I guess there are some lines of communication that we do not link . I am not
          sure about that.
          What must we do to talk to the FCC? Are we guilty of waiting , or not paying
          attention, or do they ignore us until they make an announcement.

          I thought it was cheeky of them to do a broadband conference, while not
          addressing the problem of not funding so many schools. I learned from someone here
          on the list of the problem. One of the commissioners also never knew until he
          was visiting schools. So all of the information does not go around and around.
          What can we do to make that circle better?

          Bonnie

        • Robert D. Sharp
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
            Thanks for the opportunity to comment, Andy.

            Before I read the comments posted so far, I held the opinion that I
            have the opportunity to [and do] subscribe to many kinds of
            newsletters. I value and read many in depth. I value the discussions
            here so much that I read all of the posts. I would prefer not to see a
            newsletter that I have either already read or have waiting for me but
            then Bonnie Bracey has occasionally posted parts from newsletters that
            I had skimmed over and had to go back to re-read.

            I would prefer not to see the newsletters but I value the opinions of
            those who post here enough that if they highlight something, I know
            that I had better go back and check it over again.

            Perhaps, no to posting the entire newsletter but yes to the location,
            i.e., www.mynewletter.org, or highlighting such as did you see the item
            "article here" in the newsletter would be informative.

            I would still prefer not to see re-posting.

            Bob

            On Nov 2, 2004, at 8:07 AM, Andy Carvin wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > I would like to ask list members to offer comments on the practice of
            > people posting newsletters to the wwwedu list.

            [snip]
            --
            It has been said before but warrants repeating, "If you think education
            is expensive, try ignorance."

            Bob Sharp
            6th Grade Science Teacher
            Board Member, The Learning Space
            Past Middle School Representative to the NCCE Board
            Recipient of The First Annual Learning Space Achievement Awards for
            Members
          • Krubin723@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
              As a new teacher, I would like to weigh in on this issue of posting
              newsletters.

              The greatest benefit of this online medium has been finding new sources of
              information--curriculum, primary source materials, etc.--to use in the classroom
              as well as teaching techniques. I have found the newsletter postings
              extremely helpful, and have jumped immediately to the sites which usually lead to
              other sources, as well.

              I would recommend that the webmaster continue to use discretion in postings,
              perhaps encourage the postings to be as brief as possible, but I am very much
              in favor of continuing to post.

              Thank you all for your efforts,

              Karen Rubin
              NYC middle school Social Studies teacher

            • Kim Foley
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 11, 2004
                We currently host two Aquifer virtual field trips (elem & middle). Both
                trips assist in meeting National Standards and Washington State EALRs
                (listed with each trip), and include wonderful supporting resources on
                the Teacher's Resource pages. However, it is with great pleasure that I
                tell you about the newest of the two, specifically developed for lower
                elementary students.

                I'm very excited about this trip because it incorporates some information
                that will appeal even to children who cannot yet read. This field trip
                explains a number of concepts through the use of beautiful drawings. You
                will find this trip, Aquifer (gr.1-4), in the listing at:
                http://www.tramline.com/trips.htm

                Purpose: To increase awareness and education about our ground water
                source, the aquifer, and provide information about protecting this
                precious resource. To encourage student exploration and self-guided
                learning.

                Students will learn about the water cycle, ground water aquifers, how
                water is used, water-related poetry and art, conservation ideas, and more.

                We'd love to hear your feedback.

                Sincerely,
                Kim
                Kim Foley
                Tramline-the Virtual Field Trip Company (The experts on VFTs for K-12.)
                kim@...

                DISCUSSION LIST: Fieldtrips http://www.tramline.com/list
                BOOK Virtual Field Trips: http://www.tramline.com/book
                SOFTWARE & Field Trips: http://www.tramline.com