Global Virtual Classroom Contest Results

  • Frank Patrick, GVC Project Manager
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 11:22 AM
      It's my pleasure to announce the winners of the GVC Contest 2003/04. After
      five months of fun and work, about 1800 students from 77 schools in 26 teams
      submitted websites for assessment by our VIP panel of judges.

      With subjects that range from endangered species to cultural comparisons of
      their respective countries, and from mysterious places around the world to
      "my room," sites from participating teams show the kind of creativity that
      can come from putting children from different cultures together in a
      collaborative endeavor. Their efforts were judged for content, presentation,
      and collaboration.

      Two sets of First/Grand Prize, Second Place, and Third Place awards - one
      for each age group (grades 1-7, and grades 8-12) - were bestowed upon six
      very deserving teams. The winning teams will share cash prizes of US$3,000,
      $1,500, and $750 respectively.

      The Grand Prize winner in the younger primary school category, "The Science
      Wow Factory," put together by almost 70 students from Australia, Spain, and
      the USA, is a collection of creative science experiments, presented as
      scripts that are downloadable for use by other schools. With a very "give
      something back" kind of theme, this site is an educational resource that
      will have ongoing value to other schools well beyond the contest.

      Primary Schools - Grades 1-7

      1st - The Science Wow Factory
      Byron Community School, Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia
      The American School of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
      Bayou View Elementary, Gulfport, MS, USA

      2nd - Come Over to Our Place
      St. Elizabeth Catholic School, Ottawa, Canada
      Owairoa Primary School, Auckland, New Zealand
      Topa Topa Elementary School, Ojai, CA, USA

      3rd - Human Needs
      Yarra Valley Grammar School, Ringwood, Australia
      Zhi Kai Elementary School, Tainan City, Taiwan
      Island Village Montessori School, Sarasota, FL, USA

      In the older secondary school category, the Grand Prize went to a team of
      almost 60 students from Canada, Israel, and the USA for their site,
      "Progression Through Time: The Digital Age of Technology." This site is a
      creative exploration of the history of technology that we have come to use
      on a day-to-day basis. Following a story line, or through direct access
      through a comprehensive site index, a visitor is taken through the changes
      of technology in the home, at work, and in transportation.

      Secondary Schools - Grades 8-12

      1st - Progression Through Time: The Digital Age of Technology
      Emmanuel Christian School, Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Canada
      Neveh Channah Torah High School for Girls, Etzion Bloc, Israel
      Waterford Mott High School, Waterford, Michigan, USA

      2nd - Stones and Bones - A Journey to Mysterious Places
      Colegio America, Callao, Peru
      Col├ęgio Vasco da Gama, Belas, Portugal
      Renaissance Magnet Middle School, Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

      3rd - Children for the Endangered World
      Middle School "L.Coletti", Treviso, Italy
      Colegio San Ignacio de Loyola, Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico
      Lyceum NSTU, Novosibirsk, Russia

      Additionally, several teams were also give special recognition for academic
      merit or creativity of their websites.

      Links to all of the student sites, including these winners, can be found via
      the Global Virtual Classroom homepage, at <http://www.gsbi.org/gvc/>.

      The Global Virtual Classroom program is already making plans for the 2004/05
      contest, and notification will be made as the new registration period
      approaches in July/August. After this year's successful re-launch of the
      program, we would like to quadruple the number of schools involved in next
      year's contest to 100 teams.

      If you are a teacher or an adult leader of an extracurricular group, please
      check out the Global Virtual Classroom program for cross-border student
      collaboration. If you are a student or a parent interested in this program,
      encourage your school's teachers or administrators to sign up for the GVC
      mailing list (also found on our homepage <http://www.gsbi.org/gvc/>) and
      help us reach our goal of getting more students from around the world
      working together.

      -- Frank Patrick
      Project Manager
      Global Virtual Classroom Project