Re: [WWWEDU] re: Plagiarism

  • KCStarguy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2002
      And those kinds of teaching assignments begin in elementary school and
      middle/junior high and on to high school.
      You start with question they have to answer or change the context that they
      have to write.
      ex. What was Abraham thinking as he read his Gettysburg address?
      ex. How does geography affect a country (each assigned a different country)?

      Very good ideas and thoughts.

      Dr. Eric Flescher (KCStarguy@...)

      In a message dated 1/2/02 6:48:40 PM, awolinsky@... writes:

      <<
      What disturbs me to me is that teachers are still giving the kind of
      assignments that allow this kind of site to exist. IMHO, in the majority
      of cases, giving any kind of long term research assignment and grading only
      a finished product is nothing short of dereliction of duty. What kind of
      TEACHING is going on?

      Under those conditions good papers fall into one of two categories.
      1) Exercises in futility, because you just forced a good student to
      demonstrate what they already know how to do (or what they learned from the
      last teacher).
      2) Plagiarized

      Under those conditions bad papers fall into one of two categories.
      1) Exercises in torture, because you just forced an unskilled student to
      demonstrate what they don't know, without providing them an opportunity to
      improve.
      2) Plagiarized, because they don't even recognize a good paper when they
      see it and just copy anything online.

      If you don't start with the development of essential research questions,
      how can students learn how to define an authentic problem? Shouldn't you
      require a list of resources located (web sites, books, etc)? Shouldn't you
      require notes (electronic or written), before the first draft is written
      and submitted? Shouldn't evaluation be ONGOING?

      Art

    • David Warlick
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2002
        Tommy,

        If you haven't gotten this one yet, try Plagiarized.com
        (http://www.plagiarized.com/) and look specifically at the section
        called "Dead Giveaways". Basically the message is that students aren't
        plagiarizing because they're smart, they're plagiarizing because they
        are lazy. We can use that to our advantage!

        -- dave --

        David F. Warlick
        The Landmark Project
        Raleigh, NC USA
        david@...
        http://landmark-project.com

        > "Tommy B. McDonell" wrote:
        >
        >> Dear All,
        >>
        >> I teach a hybrid class about Critical Thinking through blackboard.com.
        >> I'm
        >> interested in any information about web use or websites regarding
        >> plagiarism.
        >>
        >> Thanks.
        >>
        >> Tommy McDonell
        >>
        >> Tommy.McDonell@...
        >> Adjunct, Marymount Manhattan College;
        >> La Guardia Community College; Online Developer for Pace University;
        >> Consultant, Click On @ the Library, NYPL
        >> 212-414-8513 before 9PM

      • John Elfrank-Dana
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2002
          You make an excellent point, Art. I developed an online database just
          for the purpose of facilitating this kind of process; where the students
          decide on a topic, narrow that topic, develop their own questions,
          submit multiple drafts, etc. A how to is featured in the latest ISTE
          issue of Learning & Leading with Technology.

          It's not only a way to help beat plagiarism but is also the best process
          for learning. It also assumes that you don't have 150 individual
          projects to monitor. My students are in groups, so I have only about 35
          to monitor. Argg!

          John Elfrank-Dana: john@...
          Social Studies Teacher: http://www.elfrank.org
          School Webmaster: http://www.bergtraum.org
          Murry Bergtraum High School

          >If you'd like to take a look at what "resources" are out there for the
          >people who want to plagiarize...take a look at Cheathouse:
          >http://www.cheathouse.com/uk/index.html
          >
          >It's disturbing that this is out there.

          What disturbs me to me is that teachers are still giving the kind of
          assignments that allow this kind of site to exist. IMHO, in the
          majority
          of cases, giving any kind of long term research assignment and grading
          only
          a finished product is nothing short of dereliction of duty. What kind
          of
          TEACHING is going on?

          Under those conditions good papers fall into one of two categories.
          1) Exercises in futility, because you just forced a good student to
          demonstrate what they already know how to do (or what they learned from
          the
          last teacher).
          2) Plagiarized

          Under those conditions bad papers fall into one of two categories.
          1) Exercises in torture, because you just forced an unskilled student to

          demonstrate what they don't know, without providing them an opportunity
          improve.
          2) Plagiarized, because they don't even recognize a good paper when they

          see it and just copy anything online.

          If you don't start with the development of essential research questions,

          how can students learn how to define an authentic problem? Shouldn't you

          require a list of resources located (web sites, books, etc)? Shouldn't
          you
          require notes (electronic or written), before the first draft is written

          and submitted? Shouldn't evaluation be ONGOING?

          Art

          Art Wolinsky awolinsky@...
          OII Technology Director http://oii.org
          (609) 597-9481 ext
          337
          I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.
          I will surely learn a great deal today.

          To access the archive, please visit the list homepage:
          http://edwebproject.org/wwwedu.html

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • John Adsit
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 2002
            Art, Eric, and others have made excellent points about the tpes of assignments
            that make plagiarism possible.

            A good research assignment should grow organically from the work the student
            does in class, the way it does in real life. The teacher should be involved
            from beginning to end.

            The following true story will illustrate why we have the trouble we do.

            A number of years ago, the high school in which I worked made an attempt at a
            school-wide portfolio, with the students' advisors overseeing the creation of
            the portfolios. Because we had more teacher/advisors than classrooms, some
            advisement classes shared rooms. One day I overheard the teacher with whom I
            shared a room arguing with one of her students over an item he wanted to include
            in his portfolio. She refused to believe it was what he said it was: a Social
            Studies research paper on which he had gotten an A. She sent him to his Social
            Studies teacher to confirm it, and he returned with that confirmation. He had
            indeed gotten an A on that "research paper."

            After the class, the teacher showed me why she had been concerned. The
            "research paper" was in fact two pages photocopied out of an encyclopedia. The
            student had simply written his name on the top of the first page and handed in
            the copied pages.

            The teacher's explanation? He saw forcing students to retype the encyclopedia
            article as a needless waste of time and effort. He was making good use of
            technology to modernize the task.
            --
            John Adsit
            Jeffco Access